Keeping thermals low for 5950x (PBO enabled)

wako7654

Currently using an NH-D15 on a 5950x with PBO on, and my PC gets stupid hot, double checked mounting and thermal paste and they are ok. The max temp is just me using my PC, no video editing or similar sort but i am a heavy user overall (lots of browsers / system admin software, gaming simulaneously on the side). Should i switch to an AIO at this point? Airflow on my case should be ok as well.

image.png.7b07411323e6618bfd5d575d0ee5bce9.png

17 minutes ago, wako7654 said:

Currently using an NH-D15 on a 5950x with PBO on, and my PC gets stupid hot, double checked mounting and thermal paste and they are ok. The max temp is just me using my PC, no video editing or similar sort but i am a heavy user overall (lots of browsers / system admin software, gaming simulaneously on the side). Should i switch to an AIO at this point? Airflow on my case should be ok as well.

image.png.7b07411323e6618bfd5d575d0ee5bce9.png

Unless you're going full loop or a massive AIO you most likely will not see a lower temperature change since Air coolers (especially the D15) are stupid efficient. This is due to the fact that heat pipes are one of the most thermally conductive materials known to man allowing them quickly transfer heat from the contact surface to the fins at a ludicrous rate.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

there is something wrong with either the mounting, the fan curves or the case airflow, you shouldn't get those temps with a nh-d15

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

there is something wrong with either the mounting, the fan curves or the case airflow, you shouldn't get those temps with a nh-d15

Yea i didnt really had this issue before.. I just checked the mounting and they are fine so the airflow might be low at this rate. I'll put my fans on high RPM for now

29 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

try a bios update as well

Turned PBO off and it's a huge difference. I'm guessing something is sketchy with PBO at the moment at the latest BIOS. Going to turn it off for now thanks

What the voltage under load like?

Do your motherboard allow for voltage offset?