Own server alternative to Google photos backup

Hi,

Since google is ending the free google photo storage, I need to start migrating my collection of photographs to other online backup solutions. I currently have 1TB Office365 subscription which I also use it to backup photos taken on my phone. But as work requires more space, I may need to relocate my entire photo collection. I am thinking of making my own backup data storage from my home so that I don't need to deal with subscription services. Is this a good idea?

Things I currently have:

I have unlimited upload/download fiber optic internet in my house. 100mbps download/50 mpbs upload.

A Netgear R7000 router connected to a TP-Link Deco E4 mesh wifi. The wifi on the netgear has been disabled. Wired connection is still used. 2 free ethernet ports. The mesh wifi has 2 ethernet ports as well.

A unused intel NUC PC. I'm guessing its this model.

What are my options? I would like seamless photo/video backup like I get with Microsoft and google.

4 minutes ago, mystvean said:

What are my options?

Take a look at Nextcloud. With an Android-phone, you can set the app to upload any photos and videos automatically to the Nextcloud-server (I don't have an iPhone, so I have no idea how the app works there.)

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

6 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Take a look at Nextcloud. With an Android-phone, you can set the app to upload any photos and videos automatically to the Nextcloud-server (I don't have an iPhone, so I have no idea how the app works there.)

Thanks for the suggesstion. Are you using Nextcloud? What kind of setup do you use?

I too have thought about alternatives, I may still build my own but just going to pay for cloud space for now.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

18 minutes ago, mystvean said:

Thanks for the suggesstion. Are you using Nextcloud? What kind of setup do you use?

Yes, I've been using Nextcloud for years now. I'm not sure what you mean with setup here, but I've got a server running Ubuntu as the OS and Nextcloud under it.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Why not sure use Azure Blob to Storage the photos, you can would have redundancy and if you not using the photo for yet say over the years you could or just backup them put them on cold or archive mode lowing the cost by a lot.  You can get a 1TB in  archive mode with redundancy for about £2 per month. 

-> Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 11/17/2020 at 3:56 PM, NineEyeRon said:

I too have thought about alternatives, I may still build my own but just going to pay for cloud space for now.

My mom has started to pay for 100 GB Google drive storage annually as she is retired and no longer has access to the 1TB MS Office365 subscription provided by her institution. Me and my wife still a 1TB MS Office365 workplace subscription. The current pandemic means that more content needs to be made and placed online. The 1TB Onedrive will finish in about 2 years.

On 11/17/2020 at 4:00 PM, WereCatf said:

Yes, I've been using Nextcloud for years now. I'm not sure what you mean with setup here, but I've got a server running Ubuntu as the OS and Nextcloud under it.

Hardware setup. Just normal pc?

On 11/17/2020 at 5:35 PM, A51UK said:

Why not sure use Azure Blob to Storage the photos, you can would have redundancy and if you not using the photo for yet say over the years you could or just backup them put them on cold or archive mode lowing the cost by a lot.  You can get a 1TB in  archive mode with redundancy for about £2 per month. 

I also make teaching material in 4k. On average 1 hour of lab is around 10GB edited video data. Paying will be costly in the long run.

2 hours ago, mystvean said:

Hardware setup. Just normal pc?

Yes, just a normal PC.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2020 at 11:48 AM, WereCatf said:

Yes, just a normal PC.

Does it have android software and Windows software which can backup stuff to the NAS? 

Like onedrive/Google drive/Dropbox. I need to deploy this to users who are not tech literate