Looking to Upgrade My Laptop and Origin Has My Eyes

Go to solution Solved by Pixel5,
3 minutes ago, TrustWorthyGuy said:

Thank you for this, I thought the argument was bs as well but hey I'm not the one paying for it so I don't really have a choice until I can secure a nice side job for cash with this virus going about.

you will be much better off getting a desktop PC and a cheap laptop to take to class and also spend some of that money on a really good table and chair.

You can still tell them you would like to buy a desktop PC instead as it will be cheaper and give the arguments from this thread as to why an expensive laptop is pretty dumb.

For the longest time, I've always been wanting, and really need, an upgrade to my current rig that happens to be an old Samsung Notebook 5 that I received 3 years ago. It has definitely gotten me through a lot and stuck by me as a trustworthy machine. I was even able to get some okay-ish gaming out of it as well with the Nvidia GeForce 920MX (2GB) that came with it. But now it's 2020 and almost every new game is out of my league to play at framerates that are not 10-20 on average. Not to mention that I could barely do anything considered "heavily loaded" as I became very interested in 3D rendering and using Architecture programs such as AutoCAD. So thankfully, my parents have agreed once I graduate I may choose a laptop of my choosing that will last me through college.

This is where I started doing my research and viewing review after review of laptop models, what components are good, and what's not, all the works. Linus Tech Tips has definitely helped me a ton in learning and figuring out what I would need for what I expect out of my system. Hence why I decided to become part of the forum and maybe ask what you guys think of my choice of laptop.

My choice has been decided on an Origin NS-17 Workstation Laptop with the following configuration:

CPU: Intel Core i9 10900K 10-Core 3.7GHz (5.3GHz TurboBoost)
DISPLAY: FHD 1920 x 1080 17.3" IPS Level 240Hz G-SYNC Matte Display
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 Max-P [VR Ready]
MEMORY: 64GB Kingston HyperX Impact 3200MHz (4X16GB)
OSD/SD: Samsung 980 PRO 1TB (OSD) - 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus PCIe NVMe (SD)
PRICE: $5,430 USD

While I understand and agree what a desktop PC would most likely be cheaper and easier to customize to my preferences, my parents insist on me getting a laptop for the option of being able to take my work into a class or a job. For what I would like to do which ranges from 3D rendering to competitive gaming, this laptop seems to be a good choice for me. If I could, may I get your opinions on my choice? Can I do better or is there a better option for me? Thank you for any future support!

Here is a link to the laptop in question for anyone wanting to view it on their store page: https://www.originpc.com/workstation/laptops/new-ns-17/

Get a desktop PC + laptop, then you're much better off.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

If you have that much money to spend on a laptop, Origin PC is definitely a safe bet. They have some of the best customer service and support in the PC industry, and I've heard good things about their laptops.

However, my one word of warning to you would be that I find people often underestimate the difference between a 15" and  17" laptop, but it's pretty big. I fear that by going 17", you're edging more into "desktop PC that also happens to have a screen which I lug around in my backpack" territory, and I'm not sure if that's the right place to be. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

1 minute ago, bellabichon said:

If you have that much money to spend on a laptop, Origin PC is definitely a safe bet. They have some of the best customer service and support in the PC industry, and I've heard good things about their laptops.

However, my one word of warning to you would be that I find people often underestimate the difference between a 15" and  17" laptop, but it's pretty big. I fear that by going 17", you're edging more into "desktop PC that also happens to have a screen which I lug around in my backpack" territory, and I'm not sure if that's the right place to be. 

Oh yeah, Im still deciding on that factor as well. While I already carried basically bricks in a bag for most of my school years with all the textbooks I had to carry, Im wondering if I could still do the same thing haha

honestly the argument of taking this thing to class or work is total bullshit.

that thing is gonna weight a ton and if you work somewhere serious you are getting a laptop from them that is secured to their standards.

Taking this thing to school would mean you will spend the day searching for outlets to charge because the battery is gonna be drained in less than an hour.

Origin doesnt even list the battery of battery life because they know people dont wanna hear it.

this is a very bad idea and for the wrong reasons even.

3 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

honestly the argument of taking this thing to class or work is total bullshit.

that thing is gonna weight a ton and if you work somewhere serious you are getting a laptop from them that is secured to their standards.

Taking this thing to school would mean you will spend the day searching for outlets to charge because the battery is gonna be drained in less than an hour.

Origin doesnt even list the battery of battery life because they know people dont wanna hear it.

this is a very bad idea and for the wrong reasons even.

Thank you for this, I thought the argument was bs as well but hey I'm not the one paying for it so I don't really have a choice until I can secure a nice side job for cash with this virus going about.

3 minutes ago, TrustWorthyGuy said:

you will be much better off getting a desktop PC and a cheap laptop to take to class and also spend some of that money on a really good table and chair.

You can still tell them you would like to buy a desktop PC instead as it will be cheaper and give the arguments from this thread as to why an expensive laptop is pretty dumb.

Desktop+laptop is better than DTR laptop

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

22 hours ago, TrustWorthyGuy said:

CPU: Intel Core i9 10900K 10-Core 3.7GHz (5.3GHz TurboBoost)
DISPLAY: FHD 1920 x 1080 17.3" IPS Level 240Hz G-SYNC Matte Display
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 Max-P [VR Ready]
MEMORY: 64GB Kingston HyperX Impact 3200MHz (4X16GB)
OSD/SD: Samsung 980 PRO 1TB (OSD) - 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus PCIe NVMe (SD)
PRICE: $5,430 USD

Wow! That seems really pricey.  Its like the Ferrari of laptops.....

Nice specs though.....Im a dell guy myself....

A Dell XPS or Inspiron G5 might work for you. Buy with small ram/ssd PCle and upgrade it yourself.

Im supposed to get an Inspiron G5 15 5505 tomorrow with AMD Ryzen 9 4900H/Radeon RX 5600M GDDR6. Its on one of my status posts. Its about $1700 without extended warranty and without Ms-Office software.

Hope this helps.....

22 hours ago, bellabichon said:

I fear that by going 17", you're edging more into "desktop PC that also happens to have a screen which I lug around in my backpack" territory, and I'm not sure if that's the right place to be. 

Yes, at 8.3lbs or more........thats heavy man.....wow

15.6” fits nicely into a backpack.....I travel a-lot overseas with mine....