RTX 3070 Crashes almost all the time | Need Help

Spuderman_
Go to solution Solved by shaz2sxy,

might be worth using DDU and installing the drivers again

Hi guys,

luckily i got my hands on an ASUS GeForce DUAL RTX 3070 O8G. In some games which use a lot of VRAM the card simply crashes. There is no bluescreen, mostly no Error message (except dev errror 5759 in Warzone) and no system shutdown. The system behaves pretty much like nothing happend after the crash and i can go on and restart the game with no issue what so ever just so that it can crash again. This only happens in  games which use a lot of VRAM, the other games just run fine. Is this some sort of driver problem or is my card just broken? 

My Specs:

Ryzen 5 3600, RTX 3070, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz, 700W psu, 1x250gb sata SSD, 2x1TB HDD,

what motherboard do you have? and is it on a PCIE riser?

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

Have you overclocked the card at all?

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |
 Monitor Alienware AW2721D / Gigabyte M28U | PSU ASUS ROG Strix 850G

3 hours ago, shaz2sxy said:

what motherboard do you have? and is it on a PCIE riser?

Asus Prime Z470 Pro. No, its in the first pcie slot.

1 hour ago, Bobbysixjp said:

Have you overclocked the card at all?

Its an factory OC, i haven´t changed there anything

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

I've got the same issue, Warzone starts, goes to start page and then simply crashes with no error codes. Was working fine day before. Not entirely sure what's happening

1 hour ago, shaz2sxy said:

Its working now, VRAM isnt capping out anymore. Thanks a lot ❤️ 

1 hour ago, Spuderman_ said:

Its working now, VRAM isnt capping out anymore. Thanks a lot ❤️ 

Noob here - would you mind sharing all the steps you took to get this issue fixed? Much appreciated!

3 minutes ago, Jdawg said:

Noob here - would you mind sharing all the steps you took to get this issue fixed? Much appreciated!

Download DDU and the newest driver for ur GPU [AMD / Nvidia]. Then unzip the DDU .rar. Then i put the driver installer and DDU in a folder on my desktop and reboot my pc in safe mode. From there simply run DDU to deinstall drivers, restart system into safe mode again and then install the driver. After that simply boot into normal mode. Thats how it worked for me. 

I'm having a similar issue in Warzone. I've played some Doom 2016 and ran 3dMark without issue but Warzone crashes to a black screen with a buzzing sound though the speakers/headphone after a short time and the system then requires a hard reset. I've run DDU, removed any overclock on the CPU and monitored temps (all fine). I have a Corsair RM750 PSU which should be adequate. My CPU is a 7700k and I'm running 64GB of ram. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking it's likely driver related but I'm running the latest driver and have done a clean install after running DDU. In order to play Warzone, I'm having to revert back to my GTX1080. 

4 hours ago, Spuderman_ said:

Download DDU and the newest driver for ur GPU [AMD / Nvidia]. Then unzip the DDU .rar. Then i put the driver installer and DDU in a folder on my desktop and reboot my pc in safe mode. From there simply run DDU to deinstall drivers, restart system into safe mode again and then install the driver. After that simply boot into normal mode. Thats how it worked for me. 

doesnt seem to help. Literally given up. All games work fine except for warzone. Called Nvidia they couldnt help either. 

18 minutes ago, Jdawg said:

doesnt seem to help. Literally given up. All games work fine except for warzone. Called Nvidia they couldnt help either. 

You can try Downclocking a little bit... Some cards seem to have issues with factory overclocks... 

Just like - 50 Hz or so, see if it helps any and performance wise it really shouldn't matter card is op as hell anyways. 

(btw if that helps it means the card is defective) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Doesnt seem to help.

I have attached a clip of what happens during game play. It is to be noted that the game works fine when its in Safe mode. However, I am unable to change any graphical settings in that mode. Thus unplayable. Any help to fix this issue would be highly appreciated. Other games - Fortnite, Valorant, seem to work flawlessly at max settings. 

Video - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YCdzS6k3UuEgzMsZKsfhBH2nP8_zSjxW/view?usp=sharing

On 11/11/2020 at 12:53 PM, Jdawg said:

Happening to me as well in red Dead redemption 2 on the rtx 3070

On 11/15/2020 at 9:52 PM, Coolboi102 said:

Happening to me as well in red Dead redemption 2 on the rtx 3070

Have you managed to fix it yet? COD released a patch and the issue still persists. Guess it's an Nvidia issue

8 hours ago, Jdawg said:

Have you managed to fix it yet? COD released a patch and the issue still persists. Guess it's an Nvidia issue

Yes I managed to fix it the problem was because I undervolted the cpu and I used a pcie3 extender on a pcie4 board if you're using a pcie3 extender on a pcie4 board try changing it to pcie3 in the bios

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/17/2020 at 10:31 AM, Coolboi102 said:

Yes I managed to fix it the problem was because I undervolted the cpu and I used a pcie3 extender on a pcie4 board if you're using a pcie3 extender on a pcie4 board try changing it to pcie3 in the bios

THANK YOU! I just put a 3070 into my NZXT H1 which has a riser cable, and I'd been running into incessant crashes in games. This seems to have fixed it. Hadn't been able to play more than a few minutes (at best) into Cyberpunk 2077 before it crashed, and I just finished about 2h straight no issues.

Edit: After trying countless other solutions including underclocking, it was just the PCIE setting in the bios that seems to have been the cause.

Hey all,
I had the same issue: after installing a 3070 my games were cutting out after 5min - 2hr of play time. I also started getting 4 beeps when I boot my PC up.
I tried a LOT of solutions to this problem and I think I found mine.

Stuff I tried already (ordered as the author remembers them):

• Flashed BIOS
  • Re-seated RAM
  • Re-seated GPU
  • Installed my old 970 - everything worked fine - installled 3070: less fine
  • Updated GeForce drivers
  • DDU, then installing drivers again
  • underclocked the GPU
  • underclocked the CPU
  • smacked my head on the desk
  • loosened screws on the MOBO

I tried all this stuff and still no solution. Then, I tried the following:

Breadboarded my pc - I took all the componants out and began testing every. single. one. in order. Starting with the PSU, then MOBO, CPU, RAM - gradually adding every componant until the PC was working.
When I had put everything back together out of the case, I was able to run Cyberpunk for 2hr+ without the game crashing - a clear victory.
After thoroughly cleaning the case and removing 'dead wood' componants I had in there from when I first built it 5 years ago (BluRay drive mainly) and installed an additional intake fan in the roof (2 intakes now, 1 exhaust).
Finally, I installed the GPU with the card arm properly. This may sound stupid (which it kinda is) but coming from a smaller 970 and going up to a 3070 with 3 fans/weighing a ton - it's not something I really understood. Make sure your GPU is 90 degrees to your MoBo and all attached securely. Movement of the card/misalignement from the GPU -> MoBo is most likely what was causing my issues.

I still get the 4 beeps - something which I've seen atributed to the fact the MOBO has PCIE 3 VGA slot and the VGA/3070 is a PCIE4 card, but my games are now running as they should with no crashes!
I ran Cyberpunk overnight (just to test my theory) and everyhing was working fine in the morning.

tl;dr: 
- Check your case intake v. exhaust: 30 series cards run hot and my old 1-in 1-out approach was causing stuff to overheat. Adding a second intake fan close to the CPU may have solved my issue.
- If you're running a case/setup that you've used for years pull everything out, clean the case, fans and filters thoroughly and put it all back. Make sure you have good airflow so tie your cables up neatly and ditch any old HDDs or in my case Disc Drives you don't need to free things up.
- Install the card arm!! (if you have a 3-fan GPU/if it came with one) The reason they include this thing is to keep your card at the right height as the thing weighs so much. Make sure your card is 90 degrees to the MOBO. I don't think I did mine right to begin with and now that it's actually installed properly it works a treat.

"The simplest explination is often the correct one" - so make sure your card is installed correctly, your MoBo/CPU can handle the upgraded card and your PSU is ~100W more than the reccomended PSU (30 series cards can spike).

All the best guys - I hope this helps.

Grunski
---------------
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
MOBO: MSI Blackhawk 450X MAX
RAM: Team T-Force DARK Za 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200MHz Memory
GPU: MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING X TRIO Video Card
PSU: Corsair CX850M — 850 Watt 80 PLUS® Bronze

1 hour ago, grunski said:

Hey all,
I had the same issue: after installing a 3070 my games were cutting out after 5min - 2hr of play time. I also started getting 4 beeps when I boot my PC up.
I tried a LOT of solutions to this problem and I think I found mine.

Stuff I tried already (ordered as the author remembers them):

• Flashed BIOS
  • Re-seated RAM
  • Re-seated GPU
  • Installed my old 970 - everything worked fine - installled 3070: less fine
  • Updated GeForce drivers
  • DDU, then installing drivers again
  • underclocked the GPU
  • underclocked the CPU
  • smacked my head on the desk
  • loosened screws on the MOBO

I tried all this stuff and still no solution. Then, I tried the following:

Breadboarded my pc - I took all the componants out and began testing every. single. one. in order. Starting with the PSU, then MOBO, CPU, RAM - gradually adding every componant until the PC was working.
When I had put everything back together out of the case, I was able to run Cyberpunk for 2hr+ without the game crashing - a clear victory.
After thoroughly cleaning the case and removing 'dead wood' componants I had in there from when I first built it 5 years ago (BluRay drive mainly) and installed an additional intake fan in the roof (2 intakes now, 1 exhaust).
Finally, I installed the GPU with the card arm properly. This may sound stupid (which it kinda is) but coming from a smaller 970 and going up to a 3070 with 3 fans/weighing a ton - it's not something I really understood. Make sure your GPU is 90 degrees to your MoBo and all attached securely. Movement of the card/misalignement from the GPU -> MoBo is most likely what was causing my issues.

I still get the 4 beeps - something which I've seen atributed to the fact the MOBO has PCIE 3 VGA slot and the VGA/3070 is a PCIE4 card, but my games are now running as they should with no crashes!
I ran Cyberpunk overnight (just to test my theory) and everyhing was working fine in the morning.

tl;dr: 
- Check your case intake v. exhaust: 30 series cards run hot and my old 1-in 1-out approach was causing stuff to overheat. Adding a second intake fan close to the CPU may have solved my issue.
- If you're running a case/setup that you've used for years pull everything out, clean the case, fans and filters thoroughly and put it all back. Make sure you have good airflow so tie your cables up neatly and ditch any old HDDs or in my case Disc Drives you don't need to free things up.
- Install the card arm!! (if you have a 3-fan GPU/if it came with one) The reason they include this thing is to keep your card at the right height as the thing weighs so much. Make sure your card is 90 degrees to the MOBO. I don't think I did mine right to begin with and now that it's actually installed properly it works a treat.

"The simplest explination is often the correct one" - so make sure your card is installed correctly, your MoBo/CPU can handle the upgraded card and your PSU is ~100W more than the reccomended PSU (30 series cards can spike).

All the best guys - I hope this helps.

Grunski
---------------
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
MOBO: MSI Blackhawk 450X MAX
RAM: Team T-Force DARK Za 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200MHz Memory
GPU: MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING X TRIO Video Card
PSU: Corsair CX850M — 850 Watt 80 PLUS® Bronze

it is going to be a lot of fun installing my 3070 FTW3 ULTRA in my mATX  case (inwin 301)

I already know it fits, in theory, but boy is it going to cut it close... thankfully the case is high quality and the motherboard seems to deal with heavy GPU's well... 

20201206_002718.thumb.jpg.929ffa7236531418a48ad8a317483fa1.jpg

20201206_002645.thumb.jpg.d90c311aadfac3942cb11a352b9fb960.jpg

But still, lol, I might just end up getting a 3060ti instead... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity