What can I expect on cyber monday/black friday (Desktop hardware)

As the title suggest, what could I expect in terms of sales for cyber monday and black friday this year (And in general)

I am still getting familiar with the major sale events and such in Canada, so I don't have back history of relative experience to think back at, to strategize my spending.

I am looking to get back into having a desktop again, will flip my gaming laptop and get a relatively cheap business laptop off the marketplace, to be my workhorse for school. Along with the savings from that and some other savings, put  them into an ITX build I always wanted to do, but never had a reason to 😁

image.thumb.png.13efe0c43136078d0752422b684abafe.png

No GPU, will grab a random one off the marketplace for the time being, eventually get something decent for VR, when that's a bit more mature. 

Basically what I am planning to eye, minus go for the newer 3rd gen ryzen 5 instead, that's completely out of stock everywhere, and can't see myself seeing that one sale, with it selling like hot cakes, if the price is right, I'll just get the older one and TBH it's plenty for my use case, and VR.

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Wow that 3600 is a rip off. They're $200 almost every where and $180 at microcenter. 

7 minutes ago, Sharif said:

As the title suggest, what could I expect in terms of sales for cyber monday and black friday this year (And in general)

I am still getting familiar with the major sale events and such in Canada, so I don't have back history of relative experience to think back at, to strategize my spending.

I am looking to get back into having a desktop again, will flip my gaming laptop and get a relatively cheap business laptop off the marketplace, to be my workhorse for school. Along with the savings from that and some other savings, put  them into an ITX build I always wanted to do, but never had a reason to 😁

image.thumb.png.13efe0c43136078d0752422b684abafe.png

No GPU, will grab a random one off the marketplace for the time being, eventually get something decent for VR, when that's a bit more mature. 

Basically what I am planning to eye, minus go for the newer 3rd gen ryzen 5 instead, that's completely out of stock everywhere, and can't see myself seeing that one sale, with it selling like hot cakes, if the price is right, I'll just get the older one and TBH it's plenty for my use case, and VR.

My memory of previous Black Fridays is the deep discounts are for 2019 inventory.  I’d expect sales on Turing GPUs and ryzen2 and 9th gen.  Everything else would be “I dunno” 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, SodaRights said:

Wow that 3600 is a rip off. They're $200 almost every where and $180 at microcenter. 

Wish there was a micro center around here lol

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

When I scan for deals I rarely find good discount on gaming hardware. The best I've seen is $30 off on a CPU/mobo bundle.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

My memory of previous Black Fridays is the deep discounts are for 2019 inventory.  I’d expect sales on Turing GPUs and ryzen2 and 9th gen.  Everything else would be “I dunno” 

Perhaps I could grab an older Ryzen 7 on sale,  to make homage to my first computer with a phenom 955 xII (Can't believe I still remember the exact model) 

The CPU itself would be a decent chunk of saving, if I can get a good price on it

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

When I scan for deals I rarely find good discount on gaming hardware. The best I've seen is $30 off on a CPU/mobo bundle.

Basically hit or miss, kinda excited to have a desktop again, it's interesting how quickly laptop hardware turns into performance of yesteryear so quickly 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

55 minutes ago, Sharif said:

Basically hit or miss, kinda excited to have a desktop again, it's interesting how quickly laptop hardware turns into performance of yesteryear so quickly 

I consider ryzen2 gud’nuff myself. It’s not the speediest thing on the planet but it’s by no means slow.  I am a bit worried about how relevant Turing will remain though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

17 hours ago, Sharif said:

Most likely you will just find "no stock" on the items that are on sale.

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

23 hours ago, Sharif said:

Wish there was a micro center around here lol

You need to remember that you are in a low population area of the country, so prices in stores will differ then say Toronto, Vancouver and big cities.

Also remember that sometimes you can't buy from certain world retailers online. Like Walmart.com for example, you need to use Walmart.ca because there are different items on each websites, different shipping protocols. You can get around that buy getting a forwarding service where Walmart.com will ship to say a PO box located inside the United States and the owner of the store doing PO Boxes will reship to you in Canada which adds more cost.

Newegg.com vs Newegg.ca might be the same.

Back in the day, we'd stand in lineups outside the store at 4am, then it became standing in line at 10pm the previous day. I remember those days well. Its too bad the big electronics stores dont rent out stadiums anymore for sales, online took that over.

the normal black mesify c is 60usd on newegg rn, the white with the tempered glass is 70.

4 minutes ago, Orange1 said:

You need to remember that you are in a low population area of the country, so prices in stores will differ then say Toronto, Vancouver and big cities.

or, y know, you live next to one of the biggest cities in the state, but you have to drive  3 hours to get to one (not salty)

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

or, y know, you live next to one of the biggest cities in the state, but you have to drive  3 hours to get to one (not salty)

Canada is different then America. There are somethings you can't buy in Canada that you can buy in the USA, and many things are much cheaper in USA then in Canada. Many people who live close to the border will quite often cross the border to fill up on gas, to buy 4 new tires, to get work done, to buy laptops, to buy smokes and booze. Used to be way back when it was no big deal to cross the border, then Sept 11 happened and they tightened up the border.

In many respects to, small town living is a whole different life style then big city living. St Johns Newfoundland has a population of 110,000 people. Big cities like GTA are multiple millions. Small towns would have one Walmart if your lucky enough to be graced by the Walton family. Source electronics is the usual place for electronics in small towns. Same goes for a Bestbuy, you'd be lucky to be graced by BB to have a store within 40 minutes, but at 110k people, is like a small town with one Waltons, one BB.

The old door busters seem to be more or less a thing of the past.  I doubt anyone is going to be trampled in the crush this year.

4 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

The old door busters seem to be more or less a thing of the past.  I doubt anyone is going to be trampled in the crush this year.

New cell phones seem to keep the memoir of yore alive with lineups, heck is it not the case with console gaming system to. With covid, online is where its at. Its not worth the aggrevation to deal with stupid mofo's in a store setting to save a few bucks or 50 on a 500+ item.

On 11/11/2020 at 7:05 PM, Orange1 said:

Canada is different then America. There are somethings you can't buy in Canada that you can buy in the USA, and many things are much cheaper in USA then in Canada. Many people who live close to the border will quite often cross the border to fill up on gas, to buy 4 new tires, to get work done, to buy laptops, to buy smokes and booze. Used to be way back when it was no big deal to cross the border, then Sept 11 happened and they tightened up the border.

In many respects to, small town living is a whole different life style then big city living. St Johns Newfoundland has a population of 110,000 people. Big cities like GTA are multiple millions. Small towns would have one Walmart if your lucky enough to be graced by the Walton family. Source electronics is the usual place for electronics in small towns. Same goes for a Bestbuy, you'd be lucky to be graced by BB to have a store within 40 minutes, but at 110k people, is like a small town with one Waltons, one BB.

St. John's isn't that small thankfully, it's the perfect middle ground IMO, more than anything I am glad I got a chance to experience what a smaller town is like, don't ever see myself willingly choosing to live in the mainland, traffic is non existent too, so many perks I didn't even know could exist, boy did I not know what small town meant until I rode around to nearby towns, basically see that example of having one dated walmart just blew my mind, with that said, it was also a really nice cozy vibe, everything just felt simpler and quieted down. It's not for everyone, but boy am I glad to have a taste of this. 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD