Now that new Ryzen 5000 is out - how do I make sure a new mobo I buy is updated out of the box?

I made a similar topic a month or so ago, when the new Ryzen CPUs weren't out yet, and y'all told me to just wait, so I did. Now that they're out, I want to know how to pick a motherboard, so I'm not stuck with one on the wrong firmware. I would rather have one be ready out of the box since I'm not at all familiar with BIOS updating. I've looked upon the ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 and it seems nice for what I need, but since it was out before the Ryzen 5000 launch, I can't be sure that what the stores have on stock is Ryzen 5000 ready. Any suggestions how to approach this problem?

My location is Poland if any of you have any other suggestions, let's say I'd rather stay in that mobo price territory, but I'm flexible if there's a much better option. Also I'm getting the 5600x.

Buy in X-Kom, they update bios for free (on request). Read compatibility cpu list first to be sure selected motherboard supports new cpu and have bios update.

I'd like to know this as well, but for the an Gigabyte X570 Auros Ultra rev 1.2. It would be neat if they put a little sticker on the mobo so we know what BIOS version it's shipped with. The box does say "5000 READY" though what that actually means i'm not sure.. like actual AGESA bios version or just compatible.

3 minutes ago, Kkdk99 said:

I'd like to know this as well, but for the an Gigabyte X570 Auros Ultra rev 1.2. It would be neat if they put a little sticker on the mobo so we know what BIOS version it's shipped with. The box does say "5000 READY" though what that actually means i'm not sure.. like actual AGESA bios version or just compatible.

5000 ready just means its compatable, likely with a BIOS update. If the mobo was made before the 5000 release, its unlikely to have the BIOS update.

You could also go for one that has a Bios Flashback feature. That would allow you to download BIOS to a USB, plug into the correct port and update with no CPU in the MoBo

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

18 hours ago, Joe Down said:

5000 ready just means its compatable, likely with a BIOS update. If the mobo was made before the 5000 release, its unlikely to have the BIOS update.

Well, it just seems there's a lot of different opinions on this topic. Some places it says that it absolutely supports it out of the box.

Anyways I agree with your statement. The logic assumption is no BIOS support unless MB was just shipped from the factory. And even though it's a fairly new board (rev 1.2). So I just Q-flashed it to be on the safe side. BTW: holy moly the X570 chipset fan is a miniature vacuum cleaner.. that sound is horrible 👻

1 hour ago, Kkdk99 said:

Well, it just seems there's a lot of different opinions on this topic. Some places it says that it absolutely supports it out of the box.

Anyways I agree with your statement. The logic assumption is no BIOS support unless MB was just shipped from the factory. And even though it's a fairly new board (rev 1.2). So I just Q-flashed it to be on the safe side. BTW: holy moly the X570 chipset fan is a miniature vacuum cleaner.. that sound is horrible 👻

Prob going for a B550 over X570 in my new build. Don't see the point for the increase in price. Plus if using a dedicated CPU cooler, don't see the point in chipset fan.

Buy MSI Tomahawk, you can update the bios without CPU or Ram (Using <=32gb USB), flashback it with a button (i assume to the version it was produced with) if there is a problem, so you should not brick it ever.

20 hours ago, Joe Down said:

Actually AMD released the bios (agesa 1.0.0.8) to support the ryzen 5000 earlier before the launch. So ryzen 5000 rady means that it is ready without a bios updtae.

2 hours ago, Kkdk99 said:

BTW: holy moly the X570 chipset fan is a miniature vacuum cleaner.. that sound is horrible 👻

it should not run before it hist 80C. update the bios and chipset and then go to bios and manaully set a fan curve to it.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)