LG OLED 2020 lineup have no PIP or Multiview

Juanfri

So I've been looking everywhere for any information, but it turns out all of LG 2020 OLEDs have no PIP (picture in picture) or Multiview.

I've just got a 55" GX and can't find it and no info on the manual or online. My old C8 does have it and my friends C9 also.

Do any of you guys with other 2020 LG OLEDs confirm this?

Let's see if we can make some noise to get this feature back 

Pip is dead. It's been dying a slow death for years. They took the button away and you had to dig thru menus to find it. And it only worked with one source TV and another HDMI. Now they've removed it altogether. 

We all have extra screens in our pockets so its not of much use anymore.

1 hour ago, dilpickle said:

Pip is dead. It's been dying a slow death for years. They took the button away and you had to dig thru menus to find it. And it only worked with one source TV and another HDMI. Now they've removed it altogether. 

We all have extra screens in our pockets so its not of much use anymore.

Sure woulda been handy for our side by side of Series S and Series X 😛

31 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Sure woulda been handy for our side by side of Series S and Series X 😛

I've never seen a TV that does PiP with 2 HDMI sources. One source always has to be LiveTV or an analog input. I'm guessing HDMI switching circuitry was expensive in the early days (maybe still is) and they never bothered with it after that.

I haven't seen it on my CX. If someone knows how to find it, I would love to know how.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D || GPU: Gigabyte Windforce RTX 4090 || Memory: 32GB Corsair 3200mhz DDR4 || Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk || SSD1: 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 (OS drive) || SSD2: 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO SATA (Cache Drive via PrimoCache) || Spinning Disks: 3 x 4TB Western Digital Blue HDD (RAID 0) || Monitor: LG CX 55" OLED TV || Sound: Schiit Stack (Modi 2/Magni 3) - Sennheiser HD 598, HiFiMan HE 400i || Keyboard: Logitech G915 TKL || Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed || PSU: EVGA 1300-watt G+ PSU || Case: Fractal Design Pop XL Air

• 1 year later...
On 11/5/2020 at 2:41 PM, Juanfri said:

So I've been looking everywhere for any information, but it turns out all of LG 2020 OLEDs have no PIP (picture in picture) or Multiview.

I've just got a 55" GX and can't find it and no info on the manual or online. My old C8 does have it and my friends C9 also.

Do any of you guys with other 2020 LG OLEDs confirm this?

Let's see if we can make some noise to get this feature back 

On 11/5/2020 at 2:54 PM, LinusTech said:

Yeah I don't see it either.

On 11/5/2020 at 7:18 PM, MadPistol said:

I haven't seen it on my CX. If someone knows how to find it, I would love to know how.

Sorry for the ancient bump but I found it on my 2019 model. You have to press the 3dot button in the number keypad to bring up a menu that has multiview. 

The 2020 remote still has this button so it might work there too.

On 1/9/2022 at 10:26 PM, dilpickle said:

Sorry for the ancient bump but I found it on my 2019 model. You have to press the 3dot button in the number keypad to bring up a menu that has multiview. 

The 2020 remote still has this button so it might work there too.

Well that bump came in the right week 😄

However unfortunately my CX doesn't show anything about Multiview on the 3-dot-menue 😞

Honestly not sure why they would remove PIP, you use it very rarely but it's still nice to have. 

Thanks though! 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

• 1 year later...
On 11/5/2020 at 8:10 PM, dilpickle said:

I've never seen a TV that does PiP with 2 HDMI sources. One source always has to be LiveTV or an analog input. I'm guessing HDMI switching circuitry was expensive in the early days (maybe still is) and they never bothered with it after that.

This is actually not the case! I was struggling on how to get something besides Live TV/Analog working as the other input when I'd seen in the manual it shows a screenshot of literally doing just that. Just assumed it was only on higher end OLED models and they didn't bother to take a different picture in the manual.

But finally I found in a Reddit comment with like 1 upvote (and not in the damn manuals, mind you!) that you have to disable HDMI-CEC (basically CEC allows you to control some set top boxes and disk players via the buttons on your TV remote through the HDMI cable, rather than through IR blaster on the remote), either overall or just on the inputs you want to use. And boom, you can now use Multiview on multiple UHD HDMI inputs simultaneously!

I'm using a 2016 and 2019 model WebOS TV and this worked on both of them. But neither of these TVs have PiP, only Multiview. I really would prefer PiP, the side-by-side 16:9 pictures just leave so much unused screen space. I've heard PiP is on some models but not others... And it does seem that they took away both PiP and Multiview on the 2021 model a friend of mine has so yeah, that sucks. You're telling me we have MORE processing power in newer TVs, and what we're doing with it all is... less features?

Oh right, I forgot, that processing power is all going into the new non-removable ads on the poorly designed home screen of the new models. Guess we can add PiP to the rapidly growing list of stuff LG WebOS used to have but doesn't now.

Let's see:

- Bye bye PiP and Multiview.

- Not having any ads in the first place -> At least there's a way to turn off ads -> No longer any option to remove ads whatsoever.

- Ability to customize the wallpapers/no-signal pictures instead of ugly stock photos? Not anymore suckers, thanks for the $1k.

- Cute penguin who I just wanna hug and rub his head omaigosh he so cute and he's even on the setup screen jumpin around all happy so precious and he does lil cute poses next to each setting in the settings screen aaa -> No penguin mascot, no cute lil icons, only unfeeling corporate blandness and ads.

- No more customizable animated cursor for your Wiimote (I'm calling it a Wiimote, deal with it). Now you can only change the cursor size.

- Live zoom (worked like Windows magnifier) gone.

- Taking screenshots of current input/app is apparently gone?

- Photo/video app can no longer play off network shares, and has generally way less options, like most things on the new TVs do.

- Miniplayer that lets you play music (off a network share or USB device or internal storage) while any input or app is running is MIA.

- Minimal, unobtrusive, colorful, and FULLY customizable WebOS home launcher that's only a bar above current input -> distracting, bloated, extremely laggy fullscreen home page full of dozens of pages of "sponsored" and "featured" BS you can't turn off, instead of just a neat list of your apps and inputs.

- No more downloading apps or installing updates without signing in to an LG account.

- A Chrome-based browser that is only like 2 years out of date instead of 6+ years out of date. (at least it works with most websites, but seriously... Maybe UPDATE it literally ever, LG? How hard is it to compile a new damn build of Chromium?)

With new WebOS, you can have all this and more, buy now!

8 hours ago, Pecacheu said:

This is actually not the case! I was struggling on how to get something besides Live TV/Analog working as the other input when I'd seen in the manual it shows a screenshot of literally doing just that. Just assumed it was only on higher end OLED models and they didn't bother to take a different picture in the manual.

But finally I found in a Reddit comment with like 1 upvote (and not in the damn manuals, mind you!) that you have to disable HDMI-CEC (basically CEC allows you to control some set top boxes and disk players via the buttons on your TV remote through the HDMI cable, rather than through IR blaster on the remote), either overall or just on the inputs you want to use. And boom, you can now use Multiview on multiple UHD HDMI inputs simultaneously!

I'm using a 2016 and 2019 model WebOS TV and this worked on both of them.

This doesn't work for me on 2019. It still says one input has to be TV.

Untitled.png.d7b1318870adaa1745b1864c916654bb.png