What is folding?

Go to solution Solved by Teddy07,

You provide your PC hardware (cpu & gpu) for science project. Researchers will run research projects on your hardware as long as their software is running.

I've seen a bunch of stuff on the forums about folding month and folding teams and I'm wondering just what exactly folding is.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

You provide your PC hardware (cpu & gpu) for science project. Researchers will run research projects on your hardware as long as their software is running.

3 minutes ago, kucharczykt said:

I've seen a bunch of stuff on the forums about folding month and folding teams and I'm wondering just what exactly folding is.

Short answer: you donate your PC‘s power to help science 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

Folding@Home is a distributed computing network, which simulate the folding of proteins (the building blocks of the human body). Proteins fold in our bodies, but if they misfold, different horrible diseases like Parkinson, Cancer and Alzheimer can occur.

By simulating how these proteins can fold, researchers can take this data and base their studies on it to hopefully one day find a cure to these. They also added a SARS-COV target earlier this year, to hopefully aid the research in the COVID-19 virus.

The way Folding works, people can install a little piece of software on their computer to run these simulations, which will then get reported back to F@H.

That is the 'distributed' part of the computing network, as it isn't one super-computer doing the crunching, but thousands of CPU's and GPU's around the world.

People can make their own F@H team, which LTT of course has one too (223518). By folding for this team and racking up points, people can earn different badges. The team also has different events, starting in 2018 with the first folding month. We're currently in the third folding month.

By participating in these events, people can also get different badges.

Here is some more info on F@H and how to set it up: https://linustechtips.com/topic/876-foldinghome-install-guide-and-links-linustechtips_team-223518/

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

-> Moved to Folding@home, Boinc, and Coin Mining

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv