Is a 3x 8pin to 12pin GPU power cable feasible?

Rent-A-Worker
2 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Right.  Resistance + heat = resistance + heat =..... rinse and repeat.  The decay is exponential.

would be interesting to take Buildzoid up on his 384w quote then. 

1 hour ago, akio123008 said:

On that note, why have multi-pin connectors at all?

I mean, if the purpose is just to get loads of power to components, and there's only one voltage used (as is done with 12vo) then why not just use a two-pin connector for everything? (something similar to XT90 or EC5) That would also help quite a bit with cable management.

I like the idea 12vo, but I just don't see why they wouldn't go a bit further and just let go of the old atx-ish style.

Because you'd need a conductor of insane diameter, a connector to match, good luck getting that from the PSU to the motherboard or GPU.  Also the stupidly large amounts of copper on the PCB you'd need to carry that much current from one point.

Its far more efficient and cheaper to use multiple 12V connections as close to where you need high current as possible.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

58 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Because you'd need a conductor of insane diameter, a connector to match, good luck getting that from the PSU to the motherboard or GPU.

The "conductor of insane diameter" would just be some 10 or 8 gauge wire (about 3-4 mm diameter) which can easily handle 50 amps or more. The connector to match would simply be some XT90 connectors (or something similar) and you're in business.

These connectors/wires are used all the time on high power RC models and small electric vehicles, and I personally use them quite a lot. The stuff's rather flexible and easy to route in tight spaces yet at the same time very robust. I would certainly prefer this type of wiring for cable management over the many-pin mess that is current computer power wiring.

It handles the current, it's very tough, and it's very clean, as the amount of wires used is minimal.

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Also the stupidly large amounts of copper on the PCB you'd need to carry that much current from one point.

The net amount of copper would be the same, and if you're a card designer and don't like big traces on a PCB, you could always split it up into 8 traces and get your "standard" graphics card power layout back, but then at least those 8 traces don't have to go to 8 physical stupid wires going to the power supply.

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Its far more efficient and cheaper to use multiple 12V connections as close to where you need high current as possible.

The net amount of copper is the same here too, except more wires does mean more overhead due to insulation, and more expensive connectors, so I don't think it's cheaper.