Farewell trusty i7 4790k

Has there been a better CPU in PC history? I shelled out £270 or so I think for it 6 years ago and it’s still running strong now, but it’s finally time for an upgrade. I don’t remember ever having a PC part for that long and it still being pretty good. 

Currently deciding between a 5600X and a 5800X, assuming I can get one in the UK, it’s £290 vs £430. I only really game and watch YouTube so I know the 5600X would be fine, but you know, new shiny. 

I bought an ASUS TUF x570 plus already, just need to figure out how to flash the bios without a CPU. May have to buy an 3000G and sell it on eBay. 

And worry not, the 4790k isn’t going to the eBay scrapyard, I’ll move it to my office PC so I still have a decent machine when the kids are on the main one 🙂

Build Log : Red N White Army

System Specs

NZXT S340

i7 4790k

Z97 MSI Gaming 5

Palit 980 Ti Super Jetstream

16GB HyperX Savage 1866 RAM

Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD

EVGA 750W G2 PSU

Custom Cooling Loop

6 minutes ago, THFourteen said:

Has there been a better CPU in PC history? I shelled out £270 or so I think for it 6 years ago and it’s still running strong now, but it’s finally time for an upgrade. I don’t remember ever having a PC part for that long and it still being pretty good. 

Currently deciding between a 5600X and a 5800X, assuming I can get one in the UK, it’s £290 vs £430. I only really game and watch YouTube so I know the 5600X would be fine, but you know, new shiny. 

I bought an ASUS TUF x570 plus already, just need to figure out how to flash the bios without a CPU. May have to buy an 3000G and sell it on eBay. 

And worry not, the 4790k isn’t going to the eBay scrapyard, I’ll move it to my office PC so I still have a decent machine when the kids are on the main one 🙂

well dont buy a 3000g its not supported on most x570 mobo a 3100 or 1200af is better

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

8 minutes ago, THFourteen said:

Has there been a better CPU in PC history?

Maybe the 2500k/2600k, chose are ten year old chips that still hold up

16 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Maybe the 2500k/2600k, chose are ten year old chips that still hold up

yeah imo sandy bridge was intels last major leap

19 minutes ago, mahyar said:

well dont buy a 3000g its not supported on most x570 mobo a 3100 or 1200af is better

Oh good shout, you are right, checked the compatibility on that TUF and the 3200G is supported but not the 3000...

Hmmm that leaves me in a bit of a hole in the UK, best bet seems to be buy a 2200G from CEX for 70 and flip it on ebay after the bios flash, not sure it comes with a cooler tho which will be annoying as means have to take apart one of my other machines...

Build Log : Red N White Army

System Specs

NZXT S340

i7 4790k

Z97 MSI Gaming 5

Palit 980 Ti Super Jetstream

16GB HyperX Savage 1866 RAM

Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD

EVGA 750W G2 PSU

Custom Cooling Loop

12 minutes ago, mahyar said:

yeah imo sandy bridge was intels last major leap

I spent some $ upgrading my sister's rig from a Core i3 4160 to a Core i3 9100F, kinda regretting it now haha.

21 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

I spent some $ upgrading my sister's rig from a Core i3 4160 to a Core i3 9100F, kinda regretting it now haha.

well intels sandy bridge and haswell cpus are really well pulished 

34 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

I upgraded my sisters PC from 6600k to 7700k and also regret it slightly. I just had to do it because it bothered me that I did not pick the 6700k back in the day. So I upgraded the cpu without her knowing when I had to switch the gpu. The 110 € in total was worth it for my own sanity 🤪

I parted with mine this year. I sold it on ebay for $70 dollars less than what I paid for it in 2014, so not a bad run. I honestly dont even notice a difference gaming with my 3700x. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB