Windows 10 20H2 fresh install installing Hyper-V, Xeon CPU, and floppy disk controllers. On AMD system?

Tannah

Clean Install of Windows 10 Pro 20H2 X64, Looking over Device Manager to check which driver need to be installed, Toggle Show Hidden Devices, and notice something weird, (Note this is a AMD System no intel parts at all), but for some reason under CPU its showing two entries for an Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2673 V4 @ 2.30GHZ along side my my 8 core AMD CPU?

Look around Some more and notice 2 floppy disk controllers (this computer does not have a floppy drive controller) Then Notice Hyper-V devices installed all over the place? Open up Programs and Features and Toggle Turn Windows Features on or off, Hyper-V is not checked.

So I’m going what the hell? Bad image or something?

Wipe the computer and install Windows 10 Pro 2004 from a ISO I have.

No weird Xeon CPU no Floppy Controllers, No Hyper-V? All is as expected.

Figure I must have gotten a screwed up image from Microsoft. Download a Fresh ISO of windows 10 20H2 direct from Microsoft.

When Installing this time I miss click and install windows 10 Home 20H2, I figure what the hell its just a test. When I get to the desktop. I check the device manager toggle Show Hidden Devices. Again I see the Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2673 V4 @ 2.30GHZ, 2 floppy disk controllers, and Hyper-V installed on the machine. This is a fresh Blow and load of Windows 10 20H2. Then I recall Hyper-V is not officially even suppost to work on Windows 10 Home?

Each install was was a clean install, no upgrades.

I’m at a bit of a loss on where to go from here with Windows 10 20H2.. I mean I could manually remove all the in devices I know that are not part of the computer. But why is it installing the drivers for a Xeon CPU on a AMD system, and Why is Hyper-V being installed?

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

screenshot?

Did you install all updates and drivers?

Ok I did a fresh reinstalled 20H2, I did some screenshots of device manager. 3 screen shots showing the additional stuff. Keep in mind the additional stuff does not show up in windows 10 2004.

No Updates other than what comes with windows 20H2, only the drivers that come with 20H2.

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

On 10/30/2020 at 8:59 PM, Tannah said:

Clean Install of Windows 10 Pro 20H2 X64, Looking over Device Manager to check which driver need to be installed, Toggle Show Hidden Devices, and notice something weird, (Note this is a AMD System no intel parts at all), but for some reason under CPU its showing two entries for an Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2673 V4 @ 2.30GHZ along side my my 8 core AMD CPU?

Look around Some more and notice 2 floppy disk controllers (this computer does not have a floppy drive controller) Then Notice Hyper-V devices installed all over the place? Open up Programs and Features and Toggle Turn Windows Features on or off, Hyper-V is not checked.

So I’m going what the hell? Bad image or something?

Wipe the computer and install Windows 10 Pro 2004 from a ISO I have.

No weird Xeon CPU no Floppy Controllers, No Hyper-V? All is as expected.

Figure I must have gotten a screwed up image from Microsoft. Download a Fresh ISO of windows 10 20H2 direct from Microsoft.

When Installing this time I miss click and install windows 10 Home 20H2, I figure what the hell its just a test. When I get to the desktop. I check the device manager toggle Show Hidden Devices. Again I see the Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2673 V4 @ 2.30GHZ, 2 floppy disk controllers, and Hyper-V installed on the machine. This is a fresh Blow and load of Windows 10 20H2. Then I recall Hyper-V is not officially even suppost to work on Windows 10 Home?

Each install was was a clean install, no upgrades.

I’m at a bit of a loss on where to go from here with Windows 10 20H2.. I mean I could manually remove all the in devices I know that are not part of the computer. But why is it installing the drivers for a Xeon CPU on a AMD system, and Why is Hyper-V being installed?

I don't see anything wrong.

Hidden Device are devices previously installed on the system. Windows has the drivers, and is keeping them (just in disabled/unloaded state) so that it works again properly when the hardware comes back.

To me, it looks like someone removed the drive of your system at some point in time, and plugged it to another system, and then returned it to the main system. Did you have someone repair your system at some point in time? Did someone build your computer in the past? If so, probably that is what happened. Or it was you, and you just forgot about it.

You mention "Image" and "fresh install". I think your definition of 'fresh install' is restoring from an image, and not actually fresh install.

On 10/31/2020 at 7:06 PM, GoodBytes said:

I don't see anything wrong.

Hidden Device are devices previously installed on the system. Windows has the drivers, and is keeping them (just in disabled/unloaded state) so that it works again properly when the hardware comes back.

To me, it looks like someone removed the drive of your system at some point in time, and plugged it to another system, and then returned it to the main system. Did you have someone repair your system at some point in time? Did someone build your computer in the past? If so, probably that is what happened. Or it was you, and you just forgot about it.

You mention "Image" and "fresh install". I think your definition of 'fresh install' is restoring from an image, and not actually fresh install.

Um? Your Trolling right? Because it sure sound like you are....

Just on the off chance you are not:

Fresh Install = Removal of all partitions from system drive, format, and install of a Operating System ISO (In this Case Windows 10)

Imaging a System or re-imaging = removing all partitions from the system drive, installing a Pre-configured ISO of Windows 10 That is scripted to format the drive. This ISO is meant for quick deployment for a corporate or educational environment.

Blow and Load = Removal of all partitions on boot drive, Format of drive and install from a Operating System ISO (In this Case Windows 10)

In no place were the words "upgrade" or "restore" used, because they would be inaccurate.

Hi, same problem here, with the same hidden devices in Device Manager.

I tried to install Windows 20H2 downloaded with the Media Creation Tool on a USB drive, then installed it on an empty hard drive (diskpart clean command was used to clean the drive). I tried many times and with many different tools and methods (I'm an IT Pro), but these hidden devices appear no matter what I try. In the end, I sent a feedback to Microsoft, cause I think that they uploaded a broken 20H2 ISO on the website. Seems like during the Sysprep phase, they do not checked the Generalize option... Although I don't know how they prepare the Windows ISOs internally.

The strange thing is that only a few users on the web have noticed these hidden drivers. But on every PC I tried, these hidden drivers appear everytime.

Even more: at first I thought there might be a connection with Windows Sandbox, but no. However, during my tests, I noticed that in the Windows Sandbox, the situation is much worse! There are ~20 hidden drivers for an Intel Xeon processor too, with a different model than the drivers that appear outside of Windows Sandbox (another Xeon CPU).

Now I scratch my head and still don't understand where these hidden drivers come from. While waiting for answers, I returned to Windows 2004.

Is there anyone who knows how to explain these mysterious drivers?

12 minutes ago, Vonavi said:

Hi, same problem here, with the same hidden devices in Device Manager.

I tried to install Windows 20H2 downloaded with the Media Creation Tool on a USB drive, then installed it on an empty hard drive (diskpart clean command was used to clean the drive). I tried many times and with many different tools and methods (I'm an IT Pro), but these hidden devices appear no matter what I try. In the end, I sent a feedback to Microsoft, cause I think that they uploaded a broken 20H2 ISO on the website. Seems like during the Sysprep phase, they do not checked the Generalize option... Although I don't know how they prepare the Windows ISOs internally.

The strange thing is that only a few users on the web have noticed these hidden drivers. But on every PC I tried, these hidden drivers appear everytime.

Even more: at first I thought there might be a connection with Windows Sandbox, but no. However, during my tests, I noticed that in the Windows Sandbox, the situation is much worse! There are ~20 hidden drivers for an Intel Xeon processor too, with a different model than the drivers that appear outside of Windows Sandbox (another Xeon CPU).

Now I scratch my head and still don't understand where these hidden drivers come from. While waiting for answers, I returned to Windows 2004.

Is there anyone who knows how to explain these mysterious drivers?

Hi Vonavi,

I've found pretty much the same thing. It appears somebody messed up when creating the original 20H2 ISO.

I have not tried to tackle the virtual machines yet. So its nice to know that the problems are even worse there.

I've been working on the 20H2 Image to create a new deployment. Unfortunately some of my users are the type that just know enough to cause a headache. So I would be inundated with questions regarding these hidden device drivers. Let alone the potential issues these could create in the Labs. Just not worth the trouble. But I have a few dev's bugging me about deploying 20H2, my answer so far has been when its ready I will.

I'm running my test rig with 20H2 right now. I tried adding in a script that forces windows to re-detect unassigned drivers when it reaches that part of the install, Thus clearing the unassigned drivers. But some Weird glitch makes it so it hangs for 15 to 20 minuets. Which is unacceptable when using PXE to install Images.

I'm also a IT Professional

I would love a reasonable explanation to these rogue hidden device drivers. And preferably a fix to this issue.

Anyone?