Help choosing parts

Budget (including currency): € 1600, -

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Run linux on it with multiple VM's (at least 2 running WIN10 home). 1 windows vm will be used to host an orientDB database, the other one will be used to develop software on and gaming (of course) Optionally i would like to run a third for my GF (she has a macbook....). The development will be done on CAD software, so I prefer that high clockspeed :) and fast memory.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

no existing parts, only some harddrives 2,5'. I would prefer the motherboard to have 2 LAN ports.

I need a good bang-for-buck machine that will be future-resistant. I have no high demands on game resolutions or anything, it just needs to run stable, and fast (Currently I'm using steam-link on my iPad and laptop to game on).

Of course graphics card are hard to decide on today, but i was going for 5700 XT (go red!) waiting for the new rx 6 series though..

Currently i am looking to use this:
image.png.26897eaed1178c1c3c8a62c900a7a30b.png

I am not sure if I'll want the budget to be including taxes (21%).

I don't really have a timeframe yet, but I was eyeballing it to be around may to buy the parts.

Any thoughts?

I would wait, hold out for an RX 6800 (580) and a Ryzen 5 5600x ($300). They'll be much faster. The 5600x will turbo up to 4.6 at stock. 

If you want to buy in may, then I would recommend you to look what is available then, as the you get the best bang for the buck with time limited deals. Also the new CPU's and GPU's will change the pricing of stuff by a lot and generally, 6 months is a lot of time for the tech industry, everything could happen in 6 months.

But for your config. the only thing I would change is maybe the motherboard. I would go for a B550 as it's equally futureproof and is cheaper (and I dont think you will go overklocking that CPU with the stock cooler on it anyway).

Also I would maybe add another fan (as that case only comes with 1 included).

Also if you are gonna do VM stuff, maybe consider going for a Ryzen 7, I think you will definetly benefit from those extra cores.

EDIT: Also you should REALLY go with at least 3200 MHz RAM, if not even 3600 (especially if you do stuff that benefits from that), we ar long past the era where 3000 was fast ;). But more then 3600 is NOT recommended, due to infinity cache and stuff. Ryzen benefits a LOT from 3200 or 3600 Mhz RAM.

Also, you could go down to a b550 motherboard and maybe go up to 64 GB of memory, if you're gonna have multiple virtual machines running at same time. 

@Fedeoeae Thanks! Yes, I know 6 months is a long time in tech-time, but I'm just doing some recon. I just want to I did look at some B550 motherboard, but i don not know yet whether i want to OC or not, but i know i have about 50€ wiggle room there.  I picked this 3000 mhz because, in my understanding, for now this is the best money-performance investment in combination with the 3600x, and I like the latency on this one. 

@Aereldor do you have Dutch prices for this as well? They differ much from US.

5 minutes ago, DELSMAN said:

I just want to I did look at some B550 motherboard, but i don not know yet whether i want to OC or not

you can oc on a b550 board just fine.

5 minutes ago, DELSMAN said:

picked this 3000 mhz because, in my understanding, for now this is the best money-performance investment

3600 would be

3 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

you can oc on a b550 board just fine.

3600 would be

Yeah, 3600 non x is normally a better deal, as you can do a bit of OC even on a b550 motherboard.

9 minutes ago, DELSMAN said:

@Fedeoeae Thanks! Yes, I know 6 months is a long time in tech-time, but I'm just doing some recon. I just want to I did look at some B550 motherboard, but i don not know yet whether i want to OC or not, but i know i have about 50€ wiggle room there.  I picked this 3000 mhz because, in my understanding, for now this is the best money-performance investment in combination with the 3600x, and I like the latency on this one. 

@Aereldor do you have Dutch prices for this as well? They differ much from US.

Well it depends with the RAM, as there are so many different sticks around, it really only depens on the deal you can get, but with ryzen I personally would never go under 3200.

Hey Guys,

So quick edit on my part:

I am probably going to run UnRaid, instead of Linux to host the VM's. there will be 3 VM's on there: 1 running NAS service (2 cores and 4 gb of ram should be fine), 1 hosting database and home web server (so 2 cores), 4 gb of RAM should be fine and 1 as my main VM on which i will do everything. This means I am probably going for the R9 3900XT

I am curious as to the GPU. I know the AMD has no integrated graphics. Can i assign 1 graphics card to 2 VM's? I read that the RTX 3 series are built for this? 

If this is not possible, then I am probably going to go for i9 series as it has the core count I need, with addition to integrated graphics.

Next, I am curious as to the storage. Is a raid set-up preferable? if so, should i go raid 1, 5 or 10?