Industrial espionage

Tostr4

Am I the only one wondering why there is so much resemblance between the 3 GPU's from Nvidia and the 3 GPU's from AMD? They all 3 roughly match each other in performance, while structurally beeing entirely different.  And the one month difference in launch date can't simply be enough time for AMD to alter their specs to match those of Team Green.
My only logic conclusion is that both companies have been watching each other very closely, trough espionage I hope. Because if they didn't, that would mean that they just 'worked together a little' to sell us electronic devises that cost roughly 25€ to produce, but sell at 500 - 1500 €.

They're not that similar. The high end AMD one also had everything OC'd to match the 3090.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Isn't that like asking why a t.v from Samsung looks suspiciously like a t.v from Sony?

I mean, they all look remarkably similar and have pretty much the same technology in them.

It may simply be that, building on from their previous iterations, it was the most natural and organic way to proceed. 

Or, they could have a spy in their midst.

Both are possible. 

11 minutes ago, Tostr4 said:

Am I the only one wondering why there is so much resemblance between the 3 GPU's from Nvidia and the 3 GPU's from AMD? They all 3 roughly match each other in performance, while structurally beeing entirely different.  And the one month difference in launch date can't simply be enough time for AMD to alter their specs to match those of Team Green.
My only logic conclusion is that both companies have been watching each other very closely, trough espionage I hope. Because if they didn't, that would mean that they just 'worked together a little' to sell us electronic devises that cost roughly 25€ to produce, but sell at 500 - 1500 €.

All the AIB cards look basically the same too. It's almost like there's only so many ways to make a successful card design. The fact that they trend towards a similar-ish design is no surprise since they learn from what works and what doesn't. Even without espionage they all do market and competitor research.

No conspiracy. Well, probably not conspiracy. Maybe. I'll keep the tin foil close-by in case my head gets cold.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

As the old philosophical question goes: Why is a soap bubble round?

With the exception of the past few years, AMD and Nvidia were always in lock-step with each other for performance. At the end of the day both companies are working towards the same goal, to move electrons from point A to point B, and unless one of them finds a way to circumvent classical and/or quantum physics, then they're both equally limited by the same factors. Most of the components being used on graphic cards are the same. The memory chips, the power delivery, the silicon, the fabrication processes etc are the same or similar. Both companies are limited by the same factors in hardware, so in theory they should always be progressing at the same pace every year or two. Their engineers might know each other and went to school together and learned the same methods and concepts. Over the last few years Radeon went on vacation while AMD focused resources on the CPU end, so people new to computer hardware might be surprised that AMD are in lock-step with Nvidia, but its not surprising.

One big advantage Nvidia have over AMD is with intangible features like physX, NVENC, RTX voice, etc. The vast majority of graphic card buyers don't need or even know a lot of these value added features exist with AMD or Nvidia. Nvidia market their features better and push them out into the industry more aggressively, as well as being more proprietary in their implementation, and these intangible features help tick boxes for marketing when it comes time to differ themselves from the competition. If you can see past all the marketing BS, its just another android vs. apple, xbox vs playstation kind of debate where the software and branding sell the hardware.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

15 hours ago, dizmo said:

They're not that similar. The high end AMD one also had everything OC'd to match the 3090.

Technically speaking, that was only a power limit increase, not an overclock. Also, the entire 3000 series is already at its maximum clock speed at stock, so really doesn't have headroom for performance increase. (the 6800XT was also matching the 3080 without any overclocking or performance boosting settings)

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

Isn't the bosses of both companies really close relatives or something? That's not suspicious at all... 

Also Nvidia needs AMD, without AMD they're facing a 100% monopoly on dedicated consumer GPUs, and they sure as hell want to avoid the regulations and scrutiny that come with that.

Although NVIDIA and AMD are fierce competitors, interestingly NVIDIA's CEO Jen-Hsun Huang is the uncle of AMD's CEO Lisa Su. Although this information has been posted recently in the Wikipedia, it wasn't well-known outside of Taiwan.

Thank you I don't need a tinfoil hat, it's completely clear what's going on between these 2 companies...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Aside from the fact they are PCIe cards of somewhat similar dimensions with heat sinks and fans on them they don't actually share that much in common.

The architecture is totally different, RAM and the nodes pumping them out are different, AMD is using a large on IC cache, Nvidia is not.

That is sort of like saying a Tesla Roadster and a Porche 911 are the same vehicle because they have 4 tires and a body of approximately the same dimensions.

The companies definitely closely watch each other and I suspect have very good estimates of each others upcoming tech. The situation is similar with Intel and AMD. The major difference is Intel has repeatedly shot itself in the face with delays and technological missteps. They are now stuck on a 2016 derived arch and 14nm node as a result. I have been frankly amazed at how long they've actually been able to hang on by the skin of their teeth for each new gen.

7 minutes ago, Loki0111 said:

That is sort of like saying a Tesla Roadster and a Porche 911 are the same vehicle because they have 4 tires and a body of approximately the same dimensions

IMG_20201030_120100.thumb.jpg.f72582c7262e78a8536fac60d3a69540.jpg

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6800/3070 was easy because everyone was targeting the 2080ti

The rest they went off average predicable performance increases gen for gen.  AMD probably missed the target a bit and bumped from 250W to 300W.  They had an advantage launching later. 

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

This is also like saying Xbox copies Playstation or vice versa... They all use the same tech and the same Chinese suppliers so of course their products will be similar. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

15 hours ago, Tostr4 said:

trough espionage

In this specific scenario it's called "lunch". :)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

12 minutes ago, ewitte said:

6800/3070 was easy because everyone was targeting the 2080ti

The rest they went off average predicable performance increases gen for gen.  AMD probably missed the target a bit and bumped from 250W to 300W.  They had an advantage launching later. 

Even if AMD did miss a TDP target i'm just glad they're competing with a high end card.

Nvidia are having issues with their 3000 series cards, a 320w TDP at stock is quite high compared to the last gen 2080Ti at 250w, and it seems like Nvidia pushed the clocks as there isn't any OC room unless you buy a premium tier AIB card.

9 hours ago, BTGbullseye said:

Technically speaking, that was only a power limit increase, not an overclock. Also, the entire 3000 series is already at its maximum clock speed at stock, so really doesn't have headroom for performance increase. (the 6800XT was also matching the 3080 without any overclocking or performance boosting settings)

It also used their cpu boosting system as well.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

5 hours ago, dizmo said:

It also used their cpu boosting system as well.

The S.A.M. yes. That is not an overclock though. (as was the assertion that I was rebutting)

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

8 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

The S.A.M. yes. That is not an overclock though. (as was the assertion that I was rebutting)

Kind of arguing semantics there, it's a performance adder. It's just odd that the top tier card is the only one they decided to test like that.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

7 hours ago, dizmo said:

Kind of arguing semantics there, it's a performance adder. It's just odd that the top tier card is the only one they decided to test like that.

Just like Nvidia, the top end isn't worth the $350 increase, but it's much closer to worth it than the 3090 is to worth the $800 increase. (even when stock) Besides, they were running it like any somewhat sane person would who is looking for maximum possible performance. (who wouldn't turn on free performance improvements if they were available?)