Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help - New motherboard - can't reactivate Windows

Go to solution Solved by Shabba,

So after talking to 3 different MS support engineers with 3 different opinions the final guy just gave me a new product key.

Bit of a pain but all sorted now

A320 broke, replaced with a B550 using all the same components as before.

Updated BIOS and Windows completely up to date

Everything working fine except Windows no longer activated

The troubleshooting process doesn't work. (select the "I recently changed hardware" option in Activation Troubleshooting)

The error is like "Unable to reactivate windows using any of these devices"

In my windows account the new motherboard is showing as a new PC (same PC name)

I can't see any way to transfer the windows key from the old mobo to the new one.

Is speaking to Microsoft my only option?

image.png.d7b6ef7f2f8b01cd29d8be02bc84d97c.png

10 minutes ago, Shabba said:

A320 broke, replaced with a B550 using all the same components as before.

Updated BIOS and Windows completely up to date

Everything working fine except Windows no longer activated

The troubleshooting process doesn't work. (select the "I recently changed hardware" option in Activation Troubleshooting)

The error is like "Unable to reactivate windows using any of these devices"

In my windows account the new motherboard is showing as a new PC (same PC name)

I can't see any way to transfer the windows key from the old mobo to the new one.

Is speaking to Microsoft my only option?

image.png.d7b6ef7f2f8b01cd29d8be02bc84d97c.png

I had an issue when I got a new build. You should be able to deactivate the old one and re-enter your key on the new system.

Afaik the license is bound to the mobo. I strongly suggest binding it to a microsoft account so you can just use the account to reactivate windows on a new mobo. When contacting the support you should still be able to recover your license.

If you ever change out your mobo when it still works, you have to deactivate windows before changing out the hardware. Then after everything is installed reactivate it with your key.

PSU Tier List          AMD Motherboard Tier List          SSD Tier List          How to choose a Monitor          My Samsung Odyssey G7 Review

Current Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X @4.7GHz all-core OC (1.3125V) - Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro V1 - GPU: PNY RTX 3080 XLR8 Epic-X @2.1GHz Core / 10GHz VRAM - RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB + 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix (32GB total) @3600MHz CL16 - PSU: Corsair RMx 850W - Storage: 500 GB Corsair MP600 (System) + 2 TB Sabrent Rocket Q (Storage) - Cooling: EK & Alphacool custom loop - Case: Lian-Li PC O11 Dynamic - Fans: 6x Noctua NF-A12x25 - AMP/DAC: FiiO K5 Pro - Fan Controller: Corsair Commander Pro - OS: Windows 10 Pro - Monitors: 2x LG 27GN850-B HDR-Gaming-TV: LG C9 OLED 55" - Mouse: Logitech G Pro wireless + Powerplay - Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum, Corsair K63 Wireless + Lapboard - Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT990 Edition 600 Ohm - Microphone: Antlion ModMic

Temperatures: Furmark CPU-Burner and GPU-Burner running at the same time. Measured after water temperature hits equilibrium (39°C with fans at 1000RPM).

CPU: 75°C

GPU: 54°C

21 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Afaik the license is bound to the mobo. I strongly suggest binding it to a microsoft account so you can just use the account to reactivate windows on a new mobo. When contacting the support you should still be able to recover your license.

If you ever change out your mobo when it still works, you have to deactivate windows before changing out the hardware. Then after everything is installed reactivate it with your key.

Yeah the problem was the mobo USB connector broke so I couldn't deactivate on the old mobo however it is all bound to the microsoft account but the Microsoft support person says I need the old key or proof of purchase for the windows key in order to be able to reactivate.

The key was provided by school

So after talking to 3 different MS support engineers with 3 different opinions the final guy just gave me a new product key.

Bit of a pain but all sorted now