Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

how much storage for games

so i just built a new pc (except for gpu because of rtx3000 stock) but this post is about storage i bought a 1tb samsung 970 evo plus thinking that would be enough to get a few games installed but now im seeing games are like 100-250 gb each holy sweet mercy. as a secondary drive should i buy another nvme m.2 drive whether 1tb or 2tb or is the speed of a ssd quick enough for game storage. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, leonardmartin29 said:

100-250 gb

That seems like a lot, I play games on Steam and havent seen a game like that, but there would be the rare one pretty big. 1tb hdd's are cheap.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I find regular sata SSDs enough for games, heck even windows. If you have spare PCIE lanes, nvme would be better. If you dont, you can always RAID0 your sata ssds (considering games dont usually need extremely high IOPS).

Link to post
Share on other sites

A decent SATA SSD is definitely fast enough for a game drive. Hell, even a 7200RPM hard drive (with a decent sized cache) will work fine as a game drive. I'm not sure you'd need another 2TB of storage though. There are some games, like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, which do take up more than 200GB of space, but most games are still in the sub-100GB range. 

My System: 

AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC •  Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White) • ASUS VG27AQ • Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum • Logitech G502 Hero

 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Levent said:

I find regular sata SSDs enough for games, heck even windows. If you have spare PCIE lanes, nvme would be better. If you dont, you can always RAID0 your sata ssds.

i have a 10850k with a asus tuf z490 plus wifi (it has dual m.2 slots) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Orange1 said:

That seems like a lot, I play games on Steam and havent seen a game like that, but there would be the rare one pretty big. 1tb hdd's are cheap.

WOW starts at 100gb, call of duty modern warfare is 252 gb

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, bellabichon said:

A decent SATA SSD is definitely fast enough for a game drive. Hell, even a 7200RPM hard drive (with a decent sized cache) will work fine as a game drive. I'm not sure you'd need another 2TB of storage though. There are some games, like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, which do take up more than 200GB of space, but most games are still in the sub-100GB range. 

so would a samsung 860 2 tb be "good enough" i want some wiggle room as it will also be used for movies

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, leonardmartin29 said:

so would a samsung 860 2 tb be "good enough" i want some wiggle room as it will also be used for movies

If I understand you correctly that your OS is installed on a separate drive, then that would definitely work. 2TB is tons of space, so you'd be good for a long while. 

My System: 

AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC •  Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White) • ASUS VG27AQ • Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum • Logitech G502 Hero

 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

You're the only person that can figure out how much storage you should be getting, as you're the only person who's going to know what you're entire game library is like and how much extra stuff you plan to store on it. Go through, do the calculation, factor in some extra for future games (using the assumption that they too will be high in storage requirements, if you're going for AAA titles) and buy that.

 

3 minutes ago, leonardmartin29 said:

so would a samsung 860 2 tb be "good enough" i want some wiggle room as it will also be used for movies

Movies should really be stored on an HDD, as they don't even really benefit from even SSD storage.

Current PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, bellabichon said:

If I understand you correctly that your OS is installed on a separate drive, then that would definitely work. 2TB is tons of space, so you'd be good for a long while. 

yes i have a 1tb samsung 970 evo plus nvme drive which windows is installed on and currently some games but i am quickly running out of space just with a few games

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, dizmo said:

You're the only person that can figure out how much storage you should be getting, as you're the only person who's going to know what you're entire game library is like and how much extra stuff you plan to store on it. Go through, do the calculation, factor in some extra for future games (using the assumption that they too will be high in storage requirements, if you're going for AAA titles) and buy that.

 

Movies should really be stored on an HDD, as they don't even really benefit from even SSD storage.

i am avoiding a hdd all together i dont mind spending the extra so i dont have to install a hdd cage in my case looks far to ugly. i would rather a nvme drive based on looks but i think it would just be used as ssd speeds with my mobo and cpu config. 10850k asus tuf z490 plus wifi motherboard. if its gonna run at ssd speeds then i might as well get a ssd. which means just another 2 cables ugh gross cables luckly the phanteks p600s has ssd drive sleds behind motherboard on the back so cables are hidden still ugly 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A sata SSD should be enough. Personally I find a 7200 rpm hard drive plenty for most games. I use my m.2 for windows and games that typically have long load times/screens, and everything else is find on a HDD. As far as amount, that's totally up to you. I have a 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD and thats been enough for a while. 

 

21 minutes ago, Orange1 said:

That seems like a lot, I play games on Steam and havent seen a game like that, but there would be the rare one pretty big. 1tb hdd's are cheap.

Games these days are definitely getting bigger. RDR2 is 120gb+, Rainbow Six Siege is almost 90gb, Dirt Rally 2.0 is 112gb, my entire steam library of about 30 games is about 1tb.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, leonardmartin29 said:

i am avoiding a hdd all together i dont mind spending the extra so i dont have to install a hdd cage in my case looks far to ugly. i would rather a nvme drive based on looks but i think it would just be used as ssd speeds with my mobo and cpu config. 10850k asus tuf z490 plus wifi motherboard. if its gonna run at ssd speeds then i might as well get a ssd. which means just another 2 cables ugh gross cables luckly the phanteks p600s has ssd drive sleds behind motherboard on the back so cables are hidden still ugly 

Seems like a waste, you must not download too many movies. I have an external HDD for my media, and I have to upgrade it this year to a 4TB unit.

I think you mean m.2 drive; you can also get SATA drives in m.2, which would be cheaper.

You can also get 2.5" HDDs that will fit into the sleds on the back of the motherboard tray.

Current PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, dizmo said:

Seems like a waste, you must not download too many movies. I have an external HDD for my media, and I have to upgrade it this year to a 4TB unit.

I think you mean m.2 drive; you can also get SATA drives in m.2, which would be cheaper.

You can also get 2.5" HDDs that will fit into the sleds on the back of the motherboard tray.

right now i only have about 200gb of movies/ tv shows when im done watching them i delete them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheBahrbarian said:

Games these days are definitely getting bigger.

Hard drive are getting cheaper to.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1-2tb sata ssd/ sata m.2ssd (if you do nto liek cables)

 

+

2-4tb HDD for movies

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

 

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

 

Tier lists for building a PC.

 

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

 

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

 

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

 

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

 

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

 

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×