Corsair RM750i with RTX3080 compatibility question

jackkernaut

Hi,

i have the following spec:

I'm planning to upgrade my GPU to RTX3080 because i want to switch to 4k gaming (living room with LG55CX 120Mhrz monitor).

I heard that there could be incompatibility issues with the RMi 750w model and i have some doubts,

If there is an issue, can i  find a solution for or do I need to replace the PSU?,

Thanks!

no you dont need to change anything psu is sufficient

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

10 minutes ago, jackkernaut said:

I heard that there could be incompatibility issues with the RMi 750w model

Such as?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

9 minutes ago, jackkernaut said:

I heard that there could be incompatibility issues with the RMi 750w model and i have some doubts,

Did they explain why they thought there would be compatibility issues?

I see no reason why the RM750i would have issues with the RTX3080.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

15 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Did they explain why they thought there would be compatibility issues?

I see no reason why the RM750i would have issues with the RTX3080.

At the compatibility notes i receive this message ( i know to take such in moderation )

Note: The Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Corsair RMi 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it.

I still haven't figured the additional 4 pin connector thingy, I know it's not a big deal but it made me wonder if there are any other stuff (mainly the GPU) i need to take in consideration.

1 minute ago, jackkernaut said:

Note: The Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Corsair RMi 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it.

The 4pin connector is for powering the CPU, and is optional. The 8pin EPS12V connector is more than capable of powering the 3700X. If you want the additional CPU power connector you can buy an additional power cable separately (Corsair Type 4 EPS12V), or grab a different power supply that comes with two cables in the box (RM750x, HX750, RM850i, HX750i...)

The 4pin CPU power connector won't be a concern for the graphics card.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450