So I found a computer on the side of the road...

BustinJustin

Judging by the look of the case's condition (a pic of the front would have helped more) the power switch is still in tact, it just doesn't have the front panel button. There should have been a SMALL black switch in a hole in the front between the drive and the grill, to the right of the usb ports.

That case was basically used from Pentium 4 and up. It's an SFF case. I used to repair a LOT of these.

The front panel jumpers are marked on the attached image. I believe the power jumpers are the first two on the right if it's at the top of the mobo.

I know my reply may be too late, but if everything worked they were a half decent system.

post-53873-0-25947200-1394615313.jpg

did you go to school in saskatoon cause spsd has agrements with del to get those machines cheep

New York, US actually. Small school with 123 kids in my senior class. we've had them forever now and we just splurged a little to get office 2007 last year. fortunatley we got newer models with some ballin i3's to run Autodesk in our labs.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

Judging by the look of the case's condition (a pic of the front would have helped more) the power switch is still in tact, it just doesn't have the front panel button. There should have been a SMALL black switch in a hole in the front between the drive and the grill, to the right of the usb ports.

That case was basically used from Pentium 4 and up. It's an SFF case. I used to repair a LOT of these.

The front panel jumpers are marked on the attached image. I believe the power jumpers are the first two on the right if it's at the top of the mobo.

I know my reply may be too late, but if everything worked they were a half decent system.

Thanks, man. I've taken apart everything. I did find the switch you were talking about but I don't have the right kind of screwdriver to take the small board out that it's connected to. It's just a Phillips head but I can't reach it with what I have. I'll have to take it to work and use one there. I'm planning on setting it all up and putting a 750Ti in it, but I'm not so sure that the >250w psu can handle it, even with it's low power consumption...

If it can mean anything to anybody at any time, it means nothing.

Thanks, man. I've taken apart everything. I did find the switch you were talking about but I don't have the right kind of screwdriver to take the small board out that it's connected to. It's just a Phillips head but I can't reach it with what I have. I'll have to take it to work and use one there. I'm planning on setting it all up and putting a 750Ti in it, but I'm not so sure that the >250w psu can handle it, even with it's low power consumption...

Why not check the hard drive first?

Why not check the hard drive first?

I did. There was nothing on it. It was an old XP install with a user named "Kat". No pics or vids or documents of any kind but it was fully functional.....and only 80gb.

I did. There was nothing on it. It was an old XP install with a user named "Kat". No pics or vids or documents of any kind but it was fully functional.....and only 80gb.

oh well it is probably not worth saving.

I'm pretty sure you will be able to run a 750ti with a 250w power supply. Hopefully can find some motherboard specs so you can find how what type of RAM it takes. After a GPU, RAM upgrade and maybe a new case that PC will make quite a good gaming system. Also you might want to reformat that hard drive and reinstall the OS just to be safe.

I'm pretty sure you will be able to run a 750ti with a 250w power supply. Hopefully can find some motherboard specs so you can find how what type of RAM it takes. After a GPU, RAM upgrade and maybe a new case that PC will make quite a good gaming system. Also you might want to reformat that hard drive and reinstall the OS just to be safe.

Actually, the power supply says that it's "201w"....kinda weird, huh?

Well if he is going to be gaming he might want a bigger HDD

I could really use a low end PSU. I'll give you my address if you are so humble :S

Except the CPU says that its a Pentium 4 3.2ghz and this doesn't even have that option.

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/opti_745techspecs.pdf

Eww...Just looked at the tech specs for the mobo...I have the desktop. Max of 4gb 667Mhz. I'm beginning to think it's maybe not worth it...

Yeah maybe not a gaming system but there are so many uses for an old computer. You could make a file or media server if you don't have one, all you need is a couple of hard drives and some free software.

Yeah maybe not a gaming system but there are so many uses for an old computer. You could make a file or media server if you don't have one, all you need is a couple of hard drives and some free software.

I have been wanting to learn php....

If you are going to abandon it at least build the board along with some other old components into a coffee table, or I am the only person who has a geek out over coffee tables with pcb's and assorted other computer parts built into them.

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/opti_745techspecs.pdf

Eww...Just looked at the tech specs for the mobo...I have the desktop. Max of 4gb 667Mhz. I'm beginning to think it's maybe not worth it...

i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz (1.240v) || Asrock extreme 4 || CM Hyper 212 evo

Samsung 840 || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb || Powercolor 7870 xt @ (1200 mhz core : 1500 mhz mem)