Can you throw any pci e Gen 4 m.2 ssd in the ps5 and use it ?

Keem_boi
Go to solution Solved by SignatureSigner,

Could you just throw any Gen 4 m.2 ssd in the ps5 then would just buying the digital edition be useless ? 

This is very confusing can you fix it to make sence? Thx

Could you just throw any Gen 4 m.2 ssd in the ps5 then would just buying the digital edition be useless ? 

This is very confusing can you fix it to make sence? Thx

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

-> Moved to Console Gaming

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Sony will only allow a selected whitelist of NVMe PCI-E 4.0 SSDs to be used in the PS5's expansion slot, at least that's what's known currently. Chances are high that the whitelist will be expanded upon as time goes on, but Sony is being selective on what SSDs will be allowed, probably to account for their own personal specifications and tests.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

On 10/27/2020 at 7:49 AM, Keem_boi said:

then would just buying the digital edition be useless ? 

Are you under the misunderstanding that the SSD is faster or something in the digital edition and you are asking if upgrading the SSD in the disc version would bring it on par? Unless I missed something, both drives are identical. I'm 99% sure I didn't miss any news on that though.