HELP! How it works: PCIe Antena for Bluetooth

Go to solution Solved by .Apex.,
35 minutes ago, Armindless said:

and it's obvious that the two are different because one needs a USB connection to the motherboard, while the other connects through the PCIe. So, first question, Does the Bluetooth module use the PCIe connection at all?

You have it the other way around, the Bluetooth module runs through USB and the Wifi module is through PCIe otherwise the WiFi would be limited by the USB 2.0 bandwidth, and I'm not sure why they need to be separated this way or what's the limitation, but not all cards need a USB connection for Bluetooth.

Next, and for similar reasoning, I've noticed how the number of antenas don't seem to increase wether the module has Bluetooth or not. I mean, comparing a product which only provides WiFi, and one which provides both, there's usually the same number of antenas. So, I'm wondering, for a 2-antena module, Is the Bluetooth chip sharing antenas with Wifi, or is it using them at all?

The Dual antennas are usually for 2.4Ghz WiFi and 5Ghz WiFi, and since Bluetooth operates on 2.4Ghz as well then it shares the antenna with the 2.4Ghz WiFi.

Question about how a PCIe Wifi+Bluetooth module works.

A network PCIe module usually includes, in the same board, a WiFi chip and a BT chip, and it's obvious that the two are different because one needs a USB connection to the motherboard, while the other connects through the PCIe. So, first question, Does the Bluetooth module use the PCIe connection at all?

Next, and for similar reasoning, I've noticed how the number of antenas don't seem to increase wether the module has Bluetooth or not. I mean, comparing a product which only provides WiFi, and one which provides both, there's usually the same number of antenas. So, I'm wondering, for a 2-antena module, Is the Bluetooth chip sharing antenas with Wifi, or is it using them at all?

I know for a fact that there are hundreds of products and the specifications vary a lot depending on price and quality. I'm focusing mainly on the cheap ones, though I'd like to know if characteristics change with good 50€+ versions.

Thanks in advance,

Armand.

24 minutes ago, Armindless said:

Does the Bluetooth module use the PCIe connection at all?

No

25 minutes ago, Armindless said:

Is the Bluetooth chip sharing antenas with Wifi, or is it using them at all?

Sharing

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

and it's obvious that the two are different because one needs a USB connection to the motherboard, while the other connects through the PCIe. So, first question, Does the Bluetooth module use the PCIe connection at all?

You have it the other way around, the Bluetooth module runs through USB and the Wifi module is through PCIe otherwise the WiFi would be limited by the USB 2.0 bandwidth, and I'm not sure why they need to be separated this way or what's the limitation, but not all cards need a USB connection for Bluetooth.

The Dual antennas are usually for 2.4Ghz WiFi and 5Ghz WiFi, and since Bluetooth operates on 2.4Ghz as well then it shares the antenna with the 2.4Ghz WiFi.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

On 10/27/2020 at 12:25 PM, Kilrah said:

Sharing

On 10/27/2020 at 12:34 PM, .Apex. said:

... since Bluetooth operates on 2.4Ghz as well then it shares the antenna with the 2.4Ghz WiFi.

Thank you so much to both of you! If the antenna is used, then it's already better than those tiny USB Bluetooth dongles, that probably don't get as much coverage.