Developers of LTT what`s your build.

Hello to all developers out here.

Can you answer what kind of build are you running,laptop or desktop.

In what languge are you primarily coding,and what software´s do you use.

I am gonna build pc or buy laptop in next few months,and would like to plan my budget accordingly.

MacOS is just simply a stronger development environment. You have access to everything you'd need (within reason).

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

15 minutes ago, Slottr said:

MacOS is just simply a stronger development environment. You have access to everything you'd need (within reason).

Wait what,maybe i just suck at english,but i asked more about hardware setup,not OS setup.

I am sorry if misspelled something.

1 minute ago, AzzaNezz said:

Wait what,maybe i just suck at english,but i asked more about hardware setup,not OS setup.

I am sorry if misspelled something.

I'm directing you towards an MacOS based system if you are strictly using this for development purposes.

If you do go this route, we should be getting new macbooks next month.

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

4 minutes ago, Slottr said:

I'm directing you towards an MacOS based system if you are strictly using this for development purposes.

If you do go this route, we should be getting new macbooks next month.

Honestly i would like to own mackbooks just because they look like solid devices,ios is great in my opinios,but i was in impression that bag for buck you can get much better,stronger laptops for same amount of money.

Just now, AzzaNezz said:

Honestly i would like to own mackbooks just because they look like solid devices,ios is great in my opinios,but i was in impression that bag for buck you can get much better,stronger laptops for same amount of money.

Of course, there always will be with Apple devices. However, if you wanted a development machine, a macbook is my primed recommendation.

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

Of course, there always will be with Apple devices. However, if you wanted a development machine, a macbook is my primed recommendation.

If i wanted it with 6 cores,32gb of ram,the price is already at 3k euros,that is crazy expensive

1 minute ago, AzzaNezz said:

If i wanted it with 6 cores,32gb of ram,the price is already at 3k euros,that is crazy expensive

What are you developing?

I suppose I should have lead with that.

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

What are you developing?

I suppose I should have lead with that.

I am in process of learning atm,got a deal with my company,they will pay me a course and give me a job developing in C#(they didnt event tell me what i will do).

only things i know i will use visual studio,and azure.

But they have pc´s there,and i want something to do work at home.

3 minutes ago, AzzaNezz said:

I am in process of learning atm,got a deal with my company,they will pay me a course and give me a job developing in C#(they didnt event tell me what i will do).

only things i know i will use visual studio,and azure.

But they have pc´s there,and i want something to do work at home.

You really don't need anything more than a raspberry pi lol

Any script you write in the learning process will not require anything demanding.

If you're trying to save money, get a cheaper laptop with an SSD and stick ubuntu on it. That will make things  cheaper for learning UNIX, compiling and etc.

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

You really don't need anything more than a raspberry pi lol

Any script you write in the learning process will not require anything demanding.

If you're trying to save money, get a cheaper laptop with an SSD and stick ubuntu on it. That will make things  cheaper for learning UNIX, compiling and etc.

Ive got a laptop now,that i am using for learning atm.

Its strong enough for the things i do,but even having firefox,visual studio and notepad,uses almost 20% of my cpu power.

Would like something better for when i start working,so i could do projects on my own,maybe even do extra work on the side if i am capable to do it.

I was thinking of a 1.6k budget,so i build or buy something that will last me at least 4+years.

I was mostly asking what kind of machines are othere developers that visit LTT are using so i get better picture what to buy when the time comes

2 minutes ago, AzzaNezz said:

Ive got a laptop now,that i am using for learning atm.

Its strong enough for the things i do,but even having firefox,visual studio and notepad,uses almost 20% of my cpu power.

Would like something better for when i start working,so i could do projects on my own,maybe even do extra work on the side if i am capable to do it.

I was thinking of a 1.6k budget,so i build or buy something that will last me at least 4+years.

I was mostly asking what kind of machines are othere developers that visit LTT are using so i get better picture what to buy when the time comes

Don't buy anything until you know what you're doing. Depending on your case, you may be handicapping yourself by going with Windows/Linux over MacOS and vice versa.

7 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Don't buy anything until you know what you're doing. Depending on your case, you may be handicapping yourself by going with Windows/Linux over MacOS and vice versa.

Company uses windows/linux,depending on developer liking,thats the thing i know.

5 minutes ago, AzzaNezz said:

Company uses windows/linux,depending on developer liking,thats the thing i know.

You should probably talk to the company then.

On 10/26/2020 at 3:36 PM, AzzaNezz said:

Hello to all developers out here.

Can you answer what kind of build are you running,laptop or desktop.

In what languge are you primarily coding,and what software´s do you use.

I am gonna build pc or buy laptop in next few months,and would like to plan my budget accordingly.

I'm currently running the build in my signature since I'm just WFH atm. But I did use to use my chromebook most of the time when not at home since it's really portable and all I need is vim to do most stuff. Anything more complicated than that and I'd just remote into my desktop.

Since my current build is really lacking on RAM, and upgrading for more than 32gb on a consumer dd3 platform is really hard, I'm planning on upgrading to some ddr4 platform in order to get 2x32 sticks (which will allow me to upgrade to 128gb later on).

When I know that what I'm trying to do is really heavy resource-wise, I just spin up an azure machine with a v100 and a couple 100 gb of ram.

If you're just starting, even a chromebook would be more than enough. Don't you currently have a PC or laptop that you can keep using?

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

4 hours ago, igormp said:

I'm currently running the build in my signature since I'm just WFH atm. But I did use to use my chromebook most of the time when not at home since it's really portable and all I need is vim to do most stuff. Anything more complicated than that and I'd just remote into my desktop.

Since my current build is really lacking on RAM, and upgrading for more than 32gb on a consumer dd3 platform is really hard, I'm planning on upgrading to some ddr4 platform in order to get 2x32 sticks (which will allow me to upgrade to 128gb later on).

When I know that what I'm trying to do is really heavy resource-wise, I just spin up an azure machine with a v100 and a couple 100 gb of ram.

If you're just starting, even a chromebook would be more than enough. Don't you currently have a PC or laptop that you can keep using?

thank you for answering btw.

I have a laptop now that is serving me good not gona lie.

But its my only system since i couldnt afford building a desktop.( i invested in laptop,cheap chair,desk and external monitor,all on sale and cheap).

With this course that company will pay me,its only about 90 hours of duration,+ i imagine there will be a lot of homework.

I will be working along with workers who finished their highschool and college as a developers or software engineers.

So you could imagine i will be behind them a lot in terms of knowledge which is normal but,when i start to work there,i want to have machine capable or running every possible task´s we could have on the job,which is hard,since i dont honestly know all of the things they do there.

Its a billion euros profit company per year,so there is probably a lot.

I am extremly competitive,i always want to be smarter and better then someone else.

I would try in my hours of not working,study and do as much i can to improve my knowledge.

We all get seperated offices,and it will be super annoying if i need to bash inside to ask small question´s which will need to happen,without asking you wont learn.

But important thing is,i dont want to be restricted with my pc/laptop do the necessery things.

My current laptop is 500e laptop(ryzen 3500u,16gb of ram,512 nv.me.)

My good friend(older guy),he does a lot of security work,and other things that i didnt even understand.He uses C++,C,mysql,assembly.

Anyway this dude is earning shitload of money(20-30k euros per month,as a contractor,consultant),for various companys,even Samsung,which he got 100k dollars contract for security checks,and all the from his home.

We spoked,and he offered me to help him with his work,and he will be teaching me his job,from languages,to softwars he usess etc,so i can do smaller contracts,to give him time to focus on the main money bringing things,and he will pay me for that,but that will come after i learn necessery things for me main job until companys is satisfied with me doing my line of work.(it will take a lot of time i know)

I would like that my laptop or desktop can supports this kind of things,since i am not rich guy,i cant be buying setups every year or two.

I know this is hell of long text with info you didnt ask,but this is the backstory so you understand what i am trying to do with this build,and maybe it will help you with you helping me.

41 minutes ago, AzzaNezz said:

My current laptop is 500e laptop(ryzen 3500u,16gb of ram,512 nv.me.)

That laptop is more than enough for all the stuff you mentioned, it won't would you back by any means.

If you are just learning and at some point believe that your hardware is holding you back, then you're probably doing something wrong and will need to take a step back and rethink what you did wrong.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
Lenovo N23 Yoga

1 hour ago, igormp said:

That laptop is more than enough for all the stuff you mentioned, it won't would you back by any means.

If you are just learning and at some point believe that your hardware is holding you back, then you're probably doing something wrong and will need to take a step back and rethink what you did wrong.

Thank you,maybe i am just to much driven about having flashy laptop,or powerfull desktop,and thinking expensive stuff will make me better.

Once again thank you

34 minutes ago, AzzaNezz said:

Thank you,maybe i am just to much driven about having flashy laptop,or powerfull desktop,and thinking expensive stuff will make me better.

Once again thank you

Try to get the hang of the work first, then you'll know for sure if something is lacking and do an actual knowledgeable purchase for yourself :) 

Lenovo N23 Yoga