New Homelab server suggestion

whoami4546

I am looking for a server to form the basis for my entire homelab setup. I will eventually add additional servers and networking equipment over time. My budget is roughly $1500 to $3000. Ideally less if I can build and upgrade later. I am not super familiar with the server hardware as I am with the consumer side. Here are the things I am looking for

1. Rack mounted

2. Supports ram size from 758 GB to 1.5 TB While a large amount of ram is most of the time not needed. In this case, I need it for Rstudio and large data sets. Rstudio can be very memory intensive. Given the current budget, I suspect I would start out at smaller amount of ram

3. I would like to have a fairly new cpu ~5 to 6 years old. I am not familiar with the Xeon line of processors. I would like to have a server with at least 2 cpus

4. (would be nice) Server that supports 1 or 2 full sized GPUS that I can attach to a virtual machine

5. Server with at least 6 2.5 inch hard drive bays.

6. (nice  to have) DDR 4 ram

Literally any xeon v3 or v4 4u server on the market basically?

All you listed is wants which is pretty easy to get and all you listed as a usecase was rstudio so pretty hard to really recommend anything specific without knowing what you are expecting it do do.

Check out Lab Gopher.  You can adjust the parameters to meet your needs.  As @jaslion stated any 'newer' xeon server will suit your needs.

https://www.labgopher.com/

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"