Would a 2nd HTPC be worth building?

So, I successfully built my HTPC last week and I want to be able to use it throughout the house. I have Mavericks installed and XBMC. I have it hooked up to a SmartTV (LG). I have two more Smart TVs in the house (Samsung and Panasonic). I read that XBMC supports streaming through devices like TVs, but it does not support the playback of certain files, such as .mvk files. It will only play back formats that the specific TV supports. 

So, I was thinking about building a 2nd HTPC for one of the main TVs, and possibly one more in the bedroom, but not anytime soon. Would it be worth building a second one for a second TV?

I have a pretty basic i3 4330 build and will be going the same route on the second one.

Thank you in advance for your help!

CPU: Intel i7 3770K | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UDH4 | RAM: 8 GB Blue Ares | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 780 GHz Edition | Case: Corsair C70 Vengeance Arctic White | Storage: 250 GB SSD Corsair Neutron - 128 GB SSD Kingston - 1 TB WD Black | PSU: Corsair 850 watt | Display: 3 x Dell S2340M 23-Inch IPS 

Why not just go for a NUC or a Brixx?

This.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Why not just go for a NUC or a Brixx?

Can you please tell me what this is and what I have to do?

Thanks!

CPU: Intel i7 3770K | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UDH4 | RAM: 8 GB Blue Ares | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 780 GHz Edition | Case: Corsair C70 Vengeance Arctic White | Storage: 250 GB SSD Corsair Neutron - 128 GB SSD Kingston - 1 TB WD Black | PSU: Corsair 850 watt | Display: 3 x Dell S2340M 23-Inch IPS 

So, I successfully built my HTPC last week and I want to be able to use it throughout the house. I have Mavericks installed and XBMC. I have it hooked up to a SmartTV (LG). I have two more Smart TVs in the house (Samsung and Panasonic). I read that XBMC supports streaming through devices like TVs, but it does not support the playback of certain files, such as .mvk files. It will only play back formats that the specific TV supports. 

So, I was thinking about building a 2nd HTPC for one of the main TVs, and possibly one more in the bedroom, but not anytime soon. Would it be worth building a second one for a second TV?

I have a pretty basic i3 4330 build and will be going the same route on the second one.

Thank you in advance for your help!

A cheaper solution would be to set up the HTPC as a server and then buy several Raspberry Pis for the TVs, they would be powerful enough to stream from the server, and you would have one storage area for everything which would make movies easier.

Main Rig:

Spoiler

AMD FX 8320 @4.5Ghz  8GB Corsair Vengeance LP Blu 1600Mhz Sapphire Vapor X HD 7950 3GB 120GB Samsung 840 Evo  Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 

Corsair 600T Graphite Corsair H80i Corsair CX600 2x LG 24 inch LED @1080p Logitech G700s CM Quickfire TK (Brown)

Home Server:

Spoiler

A4 6300 @3.7Ghz 5GB Kingston/Crucial DDR3 1600Mhz 1TB WD Green 2TB Seagate Barracuda

500GB WD Blue 2x Gigabit NIC Antec 300 OCZ 500w PSU Gigabyte F2A68HM-HD2 R1.1

Can you please tell me what this is and what I have to do?

Thanks!

They're almost the same, NUC's (Next Unit of Computing) are tiny barebone PC's from intel, Brixx's are the same but with a different design and from Gigabyte. If you wan't more info check Linus' videos out:

NUC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTB4rPGWV3c

Brixx:

After you buy one (either one) you'll need to add storage (m-SATA SSD's or sometimes 2.5" HDD's/SSD's) and RAM (laptop RAM). They're good because they're not that expensive and are very tiny. Also, if you are only streaming video a Raspberry Pi with Raspbmc/Open Elec/XBian will also do it well, it won't be as powerfull but even 1080p mkv video is smooth and it's waaay cheaper.

i'm a potato

NUCs are many times more expensive though

Main Rig:

Spoiler

AMD FX 8320 @4.5Ghz  8GB Corsair Vengeance LP Blu 1600Mhz Sapphire Vapor X HD 7950 3GB 120GB Samsung 840 Evo  Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 

Corsair 600T Graphite Corsair H80i Corsair CX600 2x LG 24 inch LED @1080p Logitech G700s CM Quickfire TK (Brown)

Home Server:

Spoiler

A4 6300 @3.7Ghz 5GB Kingston/Crucial DDR3 1600Mhz 1TB WD Green 2TB Seagate Barracuda

Thanks for your responses! 

I think that I could build an HTPC for the same price as the NUC and Brix. The Raspberry Pi is a good idea, but I read that 1080p video playback on programs like VLC are kind of bad. Also, I want to be hardwired into my network. I don't want to have to rely on WiFi.

I think that I could build an HTPC for the same price as the NUC and Brix. The Raspberry Pi is a good idea, but I read that 1080p video playback on programs like VLC are kind of bad. Also, I want to be hardwired into my network. I don't want to have to rely on WiFi.

There is a model of the Raspberry Pi that has 10/100mbps ethernet... and you can run XBMC on them too. Personally they are not fast enough for me, but super cheap compared to an alternative

They have a LAN port, and it depends on how high a bit rate you are talking about, the GPU can handle 1080p- just not at the highest bitrate. XMBC would be a great addition(as mentioned above) because you would be able to see it from the couch, have all the information/meta data and even use an XBMC remote on your phone to control it if you find a keyboard and mouse too cumbersome. 

Also have a look into Plex- which is a server application that makes a brilliant browser based GUI for you networked devices to connect to- and allows you to stream your own movies via any browser. It also has a decoder that can be set to any bitrate/ resolution. This means that if your movies where not playing well on a device( such as a raspberry Pi) then you could lower the bitrate- and let the server do most of the work. It gives you just as much info as XBMC, but personally I have had problems setting it up.

Main Rig:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler