Linking two RTX 3090 but from different brands, is this doable?

I have this problem, I need to know whether I better should sell my first bought RTX 3090 which is an Inno3D iChiLL x4, OR nvlink that Inno3D with my second already bought Aorus Master. I am worried about

- if the system will be stable or not

- if there should be some drivers incompatibilities or any form of instability

- Can I use a full 48GB VRAM system?

- and if can join both cards hdmi and display ports which in total would be 10 (6+4)

Should I sell the Inno3D or should I NVlink them?

The thing about why I bought different brand cards is because a mistake, so blame on me for doing it, but I can still resell the Inno3D. I really like the Aorus master. On final note, I don't care if both cards clock speeds gets 'bottlenecked' or whatever speed problems, I just care about the VRAM and the ports and of course system stability. Thanks.

What are you using the cards for? sli is dead, so I woudln't run sli here.

NVLINK is kinda gimped on geoforce cards, so you can't really do the shared vram and other things that need high speed vnlink.

@Electronics WizardyI just need to know if the system won't crash or if at least there will be a 15% of increased performance and by last if I can used those 10 ports on the same machine. I'm being direct, money is not a problem.

12 minutes ago, j3w1 said:

I have this problem, I need to know whether I better should sell my first bought RTX 3090 which is an Inno3D iChiLL x4, OR nvlink that Inno3D with my second already bought Aorus Master. I am worried about

- if the system will be stable or not

- Can I use a full 48GB VRAM system?

- and if can join both cards hdmi and display ports which in total would be 10 (6+4)

Should I sell the Inno3D or should I NVlink them?

The thing about why I bought different brand cards is because a mistake, so blame on me for doing it, but I can still resell the Inno3D. I really like the Aorus master. On final note, I don't care if both cards clock speeds gets 'bottlenecked' or whatever speed problems, I just care about the VRAM and the ports and of course system stability. Thanks.

I recommend just selling the inno card and just using the arourus card. Running 2 cards in sli won't give you much extra preformence in games in fact you might see dips in preformence. If you do 3d rendering and want the best possible preformence you probably should have gotten a quadro rtx card. But if you do want to use your 3090s in sli still I think you should be ok running 2 different cards but I'm not an expert so either do some googleing or get help from another forum member.

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What are you using the cards for? sli is dead, so I woudln't run sli here.

NVLINK is kinda gimped on geoforce cards, so you can't really do the shared vram and other things that need high speed vnlink.

nVidia naming schemes confusing people since always xd

NVLink is a Quadro only feature, only the connector is shared so for all intents and purposes the RTX 3090 indeed only has SLI which like stated is discontinued.

OP: Buying 2 RTX 3090 unless you have ultra specific hardware acceleration task that can benefit from it would be a giant waste of money for "bragging rights" that are more likely to backfire as people will mock you for it.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, j3w1 said:

@Electronics WizardyI just need to know if the system won't crash or if at least there will be a 15% of increased performance and by last if I can used those 10 ports on the same machine. I'm being direct, money is not a problem.

It won't crash, you can mix gpus if you want.

YOu can use the ports if you don't use sli.

Performance depends on the programs used, and you haven't said the programs your using.

1 minute ago, kucharczykt said:

I recommend just selling the inno card and just using the arourus card. Running 2 cards in sli won't give you much extra preformence in games in fact you might see dips in preformence. If you do 3d rendering and want the best possible preformence you probably should have gotten a quadro rtx card. But if you do want to use your 3090s in sli still I think you should be ok running 2 different cards but I'm not an expert so either do some googleing or get help from another forum member.

Yeah I need answers like that, what if I should still want to keep both cards. If there is someone who has tried it with two different 2080Ti. I'd appreciate that.

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

It won't crash, you can mix gpus if you want.

YOu can use the ports if you don't use sli.

Performance depends on the programs used, and you haven't said the programs your using.

Have you tried this before?. 

@Electronics Wizardy I'll be very honest, I will brag of course, money is not a problem again.

Honestly my interests are these:

60% -> using both 10 hdmi and DP ports

30% -> no system crashes or instability

5% -> at least a slight improve of performance suffice me for deciding not to buy the Inno3D (How can you tell the perfomance will decrease? Someone in this post wrote that)

5% -> Using 48GB of VRAM

PS: I'll check Linus's videos on NVlink and SLI, currently my VPN is on maintenance, so need to wait some time

OP, you need to tell us what applications you're trying to use those cards for. Anyway, as general answers:

24 minutes ago, j3w1 said:

if the system will be stable or not

If your case is well ventilated and your PSU is enough to handle both, then yes.

No.

Can I use a full 48GB VRAM system?

Depends on the application. For ML and some rendering software, yes. For games, no.

25 minutes ago, j3w1 said:

Yes, and you don't even need the nvlink bridge for that.

8 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

nVidia naming schemes confusing people since always xd

NVLink is a Quadro only feature, only the connector is shared so for all intents and purposes the RTX 3090 indeed only has SLI which like stated is discontinued.

OP: Buying 2 RTX 3090 unless you have ultra specific hardware acceleration task that can benefit from it would be a giant waste of money for "bragging rights" that are more likely to backfire as people will mock you for it.

The 3090 does have NVLink. I'm just not sure how many bricks are available.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

10 minutes ago, igormp said:

OP, you need to tell us what applications you're trying to use those cards for. Anyway, as general answers:

If your case is well ventilated and your PSU is enough to handle both, then yes.

No.

Depends on the application. For ML and some rendering software, yes. For games, no.

Yes, and you don't even need the nvlink bridge for that.

The 3090 does have NVLink. I'm just not sure how many bricks are available.

Damn, you are the man who brings the answers, thanks for that.

OP, you need to tell us what applications you're trying to use those cards for. Anyway, as general answers

I don't care about games performance, I am more on the workstation mindset side, So if you do tell that ML and AI or some rendering software would do better, then that is enough for me to decide not to sell the Inno3D. Thanks!

Well, I have an Obsidian 1000D , so space is not a problem. I'm even thinking about putting the Aorus above the Inno3D since the Aorus card have a temperature LED screen, so I can easily tell if they are frying one another, If both cards are too hot, then I think I will do some custom water cooling loops

No.

I'm 100% sure I won't sell it then

Yes, and you don't even need the nvlink bridge for that

Nice to read that, well nvlink would be a pretty toy to have to play with since the ports are the main thing I want to use. My next setup will be a 10 monitor workstation then. 

Edit: About what applications I do use: Just think about what you can do with a 3990X , I am planning on everything from ML to rendering too, currently I use it for programming of whatever, (I know you are thinking how much money wasted), About games I play like twice thrice a month so I don't care that much about them. FINALLY then, two (whatever way) linked DIFFERENT BRAND 3090s will do some good, then I won't sell the second mistakenly bought Inno3D 

Gamers Nexus on YouTube linked two different brand 3090s for a SLI test, you should watch the whole thing start to finish as the whole video is very enlightening (941W under load!!!)

Current build: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, ASUS PRIME X570-Pro, EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra, G.Skill 2x16GB 3600C16 DDR4, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, Sabrent Rocket 1TB, Corsair RM750x, Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, LG 27GL83A-B

1 minute ago, FaxedForward said:

Gamers Nexus on YouTube linked two different brand 3090s for a SLI test, you should watch the whole thing start to finish as the whole video is very enlightening (941W under load!!!)

Thanks so much for that, I will check it once my VPN recovers from maintenance

6 hours ago, j3w1 said:

I don't care about games performance, I am more on the workstation mindset side, So if you do tell that ML and AI or some rendering software would do better, then that is enough for me to decide not to sell the Inno3D. Thanks!

Then you won't even need a nvlink bridge, since it will net you a max of 10% performance, but mostly won't make any difference.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga