Is it worth paying the extra money for a Ryzen 5 3600 if you are on a budget ?

I just wanted to know if its worth paying the extra money for a R5 3600 when you can get like a 10400 from Intel or even go with a Ryzen 3 3100 or 3300x ?

Depends. If the pc is used mostly for gaming, no. If used for actual work, yes.

Depends on what you will be using it for. i5-10400 is quite a bit less performant in some workloads compared to the Ryzen 5 3600. For purely gaming, the difference isn't that big.

If you are on a budget, the motherboard choice can also affect your total cost.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

29 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

Depends on what you will be using it for. i5-10400 is quite a bit less performant in some workloads compared to the Ryzen 5 3600. For purely gaming, the difference isn't that big.

If you are on a budget, the motherboard choice can also affect your total cost.

Is it worth getting the 2600 then because I can get it just for a few bucks more than the 3100 ? And yes I would be doing other stuff on a PC.

1 minute ago, Justaphysicsnerd said:

And yes I would be doing other stuff on a PC.

What stuff? Editing videos?Streaming?

2 minutes ago, nox_ said:

What stuff? Editing videos?Streaming?

Like Blender, coding in C++ and python , Game engines stuff and maybe just maybe a bit of video production. And of course gaming !

Just now, Justaphysicsnerd said:

Like Blender, coding in C++ and python , Game engines stuff and maybe just maybe a bit of video production. And of course gaming !

Then go for 3600 ideally or 2600.

3600 is the minimum going forward, has been since last year. 

From my point of view view getting something lesser is indeed wasting money, if you're rich no problem, on a budget you need to be smart with buying decisions. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

15 minutes ago, Justaphysicsnerd said:

blender maybe worth going with 3600 for programming no and game engines are mostly favor intel

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

Just to chime in... if you can wait another month or so for the AMD 5 series to launch then you could save a bunch of money on the 3 series and/or pick up a better 5 series chip for a tad more. If price drops happen like they have in the past you might even be able to jump to a 3700 or 3800 for around the same price as the 3600 now.