Can i not game on 60hz?

DeathstrokeGG
Go to solution Solved by Skiiwee29,
Just now, DeathstrokeGG said:

Oh so the actual performance will be capped hmmmmm

no, it will be uncapped, but your monitor, can only display 60 FPS, so even if you have say 150 fps, it can only display 60 per second, but again you wont feel or see the difference in terms of experience and visual experience instead of potentially some screen tearing. 

I want to make a decision between GTX 1660 Super and RTX 2060 . I have a weak system, one with i5 7400 :(. I am gonna get a BX500 240 GB ssd for the os and 2 8gb ddr4 ram sticks along with a corsair spec 05, and a corsair cx 650m or 550 depending on the gpu .... I asked a question earlier where people replied that your 60 hz monitor aint gonna cut it ......I am gonna game and need 60 + fps on all games except cpu intensive games on which a solid 30 will be fine, i am not gonna use ray tracing at all so take that in mind.....Should i really drop my wish of gaming as i am maxing out on budget with all these components or can i game ?

60hz is just fine. You can have FPS over that no issues, but you could potentially have screen tearing. Your screen wont be able to technically display anything above the 60, but it wont hurt you and your gaming experience. Sure higher refresh rate is smoother both visually and experience, but 60 is still fine. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

60hz is just fine. You can have FPS over that no issues, but you could potentially have screen tearing. Your screen wont be able to technically display anything above the 60, but it wont hurt you and your gaming experience. Sure higher refresh rate is smoother both visually and experience, but 60 is still fine. 

Okk thanks a lot, so you mean no 60 + fps ?

Okk thanks a lot, so you mean no 60 + fps ?

you can have more than 60 fps, but your monitor wont be able to display them so they just basically get dropped. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

You can never say "in all games" and your cpu is fine. 60htz is your preference, more fps will offer a better experience, but that is up to you. I think if the price is right in your region, a 2060s is better option for the longevity of the system. It is just a newer and more capable GPU.

Some games need more GPU and some less. Just decide what you wanna play, and then ask again. You will play all ps4 games at high graphics

2 minutes ago, PeachGr said:

You can never say "in all games" and your cpu is fine. 60htz is your preference, more fps will offer a better experience, but that is up to you. I think if the price is right in your region, a 2060s is better option for the longevity of the system. It is just a newer and more capable GPU.

Some games need more GPU and some less. Just decide what you wanna play, and then ask again. You will play all ps4 games at high graphics

Ohhhh

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

you can have more than 60 fps, but your monitor wont be able to display them so they just basically get dropped. 

To what extent , like a 20-30 fps drop or a 5-10 fps drop ? Sorry if i am annoying you as i am a newbie

To what extent , like a 20-30 fps drop or a 5-10 fps drop ? Sorry if i am annoying you as i am a newbie

you wouldnt see or feel the drops. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

you wouldnt see or feel the drops. 

no, it will be uncapped, but your monitor, can only display 60 FPS, so even if you have say 150 fps, it can only display 60 per second, but again you wont feel or see the difference in terms of experience and visual experience instead of potentially some screen tearing. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

3 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Oh boyyyy, you have really been helpful man , thanks a lot and sorry for vexing you :) 

I have recently used Rivatuner to cap a misbehaving game to 60FPS. Not had to use it since the Helicopter mission near the end in GTA IV, it was a port from the console and you needed to cap the FPS to 30 for that mission to hit the button at the right time (unless you got very lucky).

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

-> Moved to PC Gaming

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv