8K AV Receiver Recommendations for Sony Z9G MASTER

Hello all,

I just assisted a family member with ordering a Sony 98" Z9G MASTER Series that will arrive from Japan in a few weeks and in the meantime I am looking for an 8K receiver to pair it with. With 8K being so new I have found little in terms of receivers or anything that can drive content 8K. I'm thinking that it might be easier to just build a dedicated PC with a RTX 3080 or something, but my family member really just uses his TV to watch sports and it would be a nightmare trying to run cable provider content through a PC, since most channels only broadcast 4K sports coverage through their TV box or their proprietary app.

It seems like most everything will be output in 4K then upscaled on his TV, but I'd like to find something that can drive native 8K as well. Also, price isn't a factor.

I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Holy shit, that thing is 80k lmao. 

Well anyways, there's not a lot of 8k content available right now but your best bet in terms of external devices is a 3000 series graphics card PC. Else the TV itself will probably be able to run 8k YouTube or 8K Video from a USB drive but that's about it. 

Edit: the new consoles can probably also display 8k but also only stuff like YT or maybe 2D Games. 

Edit2: also are you looking for a AV Receiver now or some kind of input? Because there are now HDMI 2.1 AV Receivers but that doesn't help you get content. It only helps you connect a decent Speaeker system, which he hopefully has. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

26 minutes ago, conoro said:

Hello all,

I just assisted a family member with ordering a Sony 98" Z9G MASTER Series that will arrive from Japan in a few weeks and in the meantime I am looking for an 8K receiver to pair it with. With 8K being so new I have found little in terms of receivers or anything that can drive content 8K. I'm thinking that it might be easier to just build a dedicated PC with a RTX 3080 or something, but my family member really just uses his TV to watch sports and it would be a nightmare trying to run cable provider content through a PC, since most channels only broadcast 4K sports coverage through their TV box or their proprietary app.

It seems like most everything will be output in 4K then upscaled on his TV, but I'd like to find something that can drive native 8K as well. Also, price isn't a factor.

I'd appreciate any recommendations.

The Denon stuff is the best bet at the moment for an 8k receiver.

If cost truly isn't a factor, then I would say to get a Denon AVC-A110 and a 2 channel system from MBL like I currently own.

Speakers should run you 240,000 dollars roughly, then 120,000 dollars for the two power amplifiers needed. The denon would handle crossover stuff.

http://www.mbl.de/radialstrahler-mbl-101-x-treme-2/?lang=en

http://www.mbl.de/monostereo-power-amplifier-mbl-9008-a/?lang=en

My pair haven't arrived yet, But I've heard the smaller brothers to this particular pair and they're near flawless.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

7 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

Holy shit, that thing is 80k lmao. 

Well anyways, there's not a lot of 8k content available right now but your best bet in terms of external devices is a 3000 series graphics card PC. Else the TV itself will probably be able to run 8k YouTube or 8K Video from a USB drive but that's about it. 

Edit: the new consoles can probably also display 8k but also only stuff like YT or maybe 2D Games. 

Edit2: also are you looking for a AV Receiver now or some kind of input? Because there are now HDMI 2.1 AV Receivers but that doesn't help you get content. It only helps you connect a decent Speaeker system, which he hopefully has. 

Well apparently there are AV receivers that have built in streaming service apps, so now I'm wondering if there is one that can stream and support 4K (and eventually) 8K. I'm not sure if the built in OS for the TV has the ability to play 8K content off a external drive, but I doubt it. I believe Sony intends for the user to have a dedicated receiver that will handle all of the media.

1 minute ago, Derkoli said:

The Denon stuff is the best bet at the moment for an 8k receiver.

If cost truly isn't a factor, then I would say to get a Denon AVC-A110 and a 2 channel system from MBL like I currently own. Speakers should run you 240,000 dollars roughly, then 120,000 dollars for the two power amplifiers needed. The denon would handle crossover stuff.

They'll actually be installing this TV in their bedroom so I don't think they'll need that powerful of speakers, but I appreciate the recommendation. This is more of a TV to just watch football on, they don't really watch movies or anything like that so the audio isn't a huge factor. I'm just hoping to find something that can drive 8K content when it becomes available and will be easy to use. Those are probably the two most important factors.

Just now, conoro said:

They'll actually be installing this TV in their bedroom so I don't think they'll need that powerful of speakers, but I appreciate the recommendation. This is more of a TV to just watch football on, they don't really watch movies or anything like that so the audio isn't a huge factor. I'm just hoping to find something that can drive 8K content when it becomes available and will be easy to use. Those are probably the two most important factors.

I would look into purchasing an 8k TV box as they do exist. Then chuck it through a Denon AVC-A110, or a cheaper model that does 8k. Just be aware that the Denon stuff only has one 8k input and output.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

36 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

I would look into purchasing an 8k TV box as they do exist. Then chuck it through a Denon AVC-A110, or a cheaper model that does 8k. Just be aware that the Denon stuff only has one 8k input and output.

That sounds like a good plan, thank you for the recommendation. I'll give B&H a call to see when they're expecting more in.

denon or marantz.....their 2020 models all support hdmi 2.1 8k (definitely worthy..i have the denon avr-x3700h with a extra amp for the front to do 7.1.4)
yamaha has 2 receivers also but no sign of release so dont know much about them but are cheaper and lack features

Well the answers have been given, but a $60000 8k TV just to watch football on in the bedroom? I wish I had that kind of money to throw around.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

On 10/23/2020 at 10:13 PM, circeseye said:

denon or marantz.....their 2020 models all support hdmi 2.1 8k (definitely worthy..i have the denon avr-x3700h with a extra amp for the front to do 7.1.4)
yamaha has 2 receivers also but no sign of release so dont know much about them but are cheaper and lack features

Is there a big difference between Marantz and Denon in terms of UI? It looks like they both support HDMI 2.1 so it sounds like it will come down to simplicity and user experience. I haven't been able to find any videos on the UI of either since there are so few videos on 8K receivers in general.

2 minutes ago, conoro said:

Is there a big difference between Marantz and Denon in terms of UI? It looks like they both support HDMI 2.1 so it sounds like it will come down to simplicity and user experience. I haven't been able to find any videos on the UI of either since there are so few videos on 8K receivers in general.

they are pretty much the same company...marantz is "fancier" one...but both have similar ui's
this is the main company...they show them both off
https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundUnitedTraining/videos

oh fyi ALL hdmi 2.1 receivers are flawed right now...they used the wrong hdmi 2.1 chip (it uses compression) video cards and consoles use uncompressed, so no 4k 120htz , so theres a shit show going on right now

On 10/28/2020 at 11:47 AM, circeseye said:

they are pretty much the same company...marantz is "fancier" one...but both have similar ui's
this is the main company...they show them both off
https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundUnitedTraining/videos

oh fyi ALL hdmi 2.1 receivers are flawed right now...they used the wrong hdmi 2.1 chip (it uses compression) video cards and consoles use uncompressed, so no 4k 120htz , so theres a shit show going on right now

Thanks for the link and the heads up. Maybe I'll just wait to order a new receiver then. Sounds like its not worth dealing with right now.