Dissapointing lack of fire (Core Temp misreporting power draw).

Been messing with overclocking on and off ever since I got my 3600 (nice cpu by the way), and I recently discovered that it seems "stable" at higher clocks than initial testing suggested, so trying to see if that's actually viable running 4.45ghz instead of the usual plebeian 4.4ghz - doesn't make a real difference, but higher numbers = better.

Cinebench was set to high priority in windows 10 task manager - affinity was set to cpu 0. So far CPU 0 seems to be the only one doing this, others report normally.
*Edit common trend.

So with that in mind I present to you these lovely screen grabs. I wasn't quick enough to screen grab it, but core temp briefly reported a 2401W power draw which honestly seemed a little excessive for a 1 thread workload.

307.png.77d4d0f7afbc05545d5910ea32ff3b74.png

-1w.png.459914001dc8f70ff80380d0b4ccb66f.png

Not sure what there's to learn from that.

Probably wont matter, but running an ASRock Phantom Gaming 4 570x board, the 3600 and windows 10. Rest of specs shouldn't be relevant for this.

10 minutes ago, Rogerzz said:

Use 1.200V or below. 1.29 will degrade the chip in months

You didn't read... 

36 minutes ago, AndersWSP said:

higher numbers = better.

🤷🏾‍♀️

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

So, turns out setting Cinebench R20 priority to normal or above is causing the misreading (it also makes Ryzen Master act weird).

20 minutes ago, Rogerzz said:

Don't use Core Temp, use HWInfo64. Also 1.29V is too high for a 3600 even 1.25V is too much for some 3600 units.

Use 1.200V or below. 1.29 will degrade the chip in months.

I have Core Temp open in all Cinebench runs for consistency. The numbers it reports normally match with what's reported by other software. I just want temperature & power draw visible in one location.

Just fucking around with the 1.3v oc. Don't think it's fully stable, so will dial back down within a day. Only started tweaking/experimenting because the internet stopped working for a few hours... Turns out all the games installed required internet access.

9 minutes ago, Rogerzz said:

What? Why would I endorse running at 1.29V at 4.4GHz and potentially break his CPU?

I'm curious where you're getting the 1.2v limit from?

Just now, Rogerzz said:

Cinebench isn't good for stress testing really, my 4.2GHz was fine on Cinebench but failed Prime95 on Small FTT in minutes.

I would also use Prime95 for stability verification - there is a huge difference between them. I have also accepted that I don't care about p95. If everything else runs good just don't start p95.

5 minutes ago, Rogerzz said:

yeah but why take the risk of getting crashes in the future and corrupt data, just run P95 for 2 hours. Some people ran it with no problems but crashed in GTA V so check in real world scenarios. 

You might want to use RYZEN Clock Tuner to OC automatically for you in safe voltage range, it stress tests the system at different voltages while you run it.

Alright, will re-run Ryzen clock tuner. See if that does anything interesting.

One more point of order. I am "testing" in various real world scenarios. I'm actually using the computer, twitch streams, youtube, assorted games. Mostly running several of those at once. So far it's been fine. If any one game / software pops up that don't run with any given set of settings I'll deal with it then.

1 hour ago, AndersWSP said:

Been messing with overclocking on and off ever since I got my 3600 (nice cpu by the way), and I recently discovered that it seems "stable" at higher clocks than initial testing suggested, so trying to see if that's actually viable running 4.45ghz instead of the usual plebeian 4.4ghz - doesn't make a real difference, but higher numbers = better.

Cinebench was set to high priority in windows 10 task manager - affinity was set to cpu 0. So far CPU 0 seems to be the only one doing this, others report normally.
*Edit common trend.

So with that in mind I present to you these lovely screen grabs. I wasn't quick enough to screen grab it, but core temp briefly reported a 2401W power draw which honestly seemed a little excessive for a 1 thread workload.

Not sure what there's to learn from that.

Probably wont matter, but running an ASRock Phantom Gaming 4 570x board, the 3600 and windows 10. Rest of specs shouldn't be relevant for this.

Please report bugs and issues to the author and he might have some advice and or correct the issues in new updates.

https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/466707-quot-Core-Temp-quot-CPU-Temperature-monitoring-tool-for-the-K8-series

Thanks,

ShrimpBrime.

33 minutes ago, Rogerzz said:

What?

You don't see how ironic those two directly contradictory statements are? OOF

33 minutes ago, Rogerzz said:

1.29V

I'm not saying you're wrong, but, ironically, the default voltage what a lot of people run is a lot higher, because it's set like that by **AMD** themselves... 

And unless people put several measurements in place (bios updates, chipset driver updates, windows updates...) the cpu will also not clock down by much (sometimes at all) while *idle*. 

So yes, ironically (highly so) AMD does not recommend such outrageous high voltages, they do say however it's 'safe' because that's what their whole PBO etc uses *by default*. 

Also overclock means degradation. That's them risks of chasing higher numbers for little gains. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity