Most reliable consumer hard disk brand?...does it matter?

N05HIT

Does different hard disk brand (HGST not included) make a difference in reliability?

Which one to get under 1, 2 & 3tb options?

It really doesn't matter. THe failure rates are pretty simmilar.

Just keep backups and you won't lose data.

Id just get a wd blue or seagate barracuda for a games/media drives, and get the cheaper option.

Probably not a rabbithole you want to go down... fanboyism is rife; for everyone who says WD is bad you'll find someone else talking similarly about Seagate, for instance.

As long as you pick a major manufacturer (WD, Seagate, Kingston etc.) then you shouldn't go wrong -  and if you do, just make sure you keep a backup and update it regularly. For your use case I'd go with a Western Digital Blue.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

53 minutes ago, N05HIT said:

Does different hard disk brand (HGST not included) make a difference in reliability?

Which one to get under 1, 2 & 3tb options?

Just curious what will you be using the drive for? If a reliable drive is really important to you they have options for that like the Western Digital Gold which is designed for endurance and reliability and commonly used in enterprise industry.

However I’m guessing you didn’t mean that when you said “most reliable” in which case a WD Blue or a Seagate Barracuda will do just fine. If it’s for gaming you might want to look at a WD Black.

CPU: i7 8700K (5.1 GHz OC). AIO: EVGA CLC 280 280mmGPUEVGA XC2 Ultra 2080Ti. PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular. MB: MSI MEG Z390 ACE. RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB (3600 MHz OC). STORAGE: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe, 2TB Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB Samsung 860 Evo, 1TB Samsung 860 QVO, 2TB Firecuda 7200rpm SSHD, 1TB WD Blue. CASE: NZXT H510 Elite. FANS: Corsair LL120 RGB 120mm x4. MONITOR: MSI Optix MAG271CQR 2560x1440 144hz. Headset: Steelseries Arctis 5 Gaming Headset. Keyboard: Razer Cynosa Chroma. Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate (Wireless) Webcam: Logitech C922x Pro Stream Webcam.

15 hours ago, GamerBlake said:

Just curious what will you be using the drive for? If a reliable drive is really important to you they have options for that like the Western Digital Gold which is designed for endurance and reliability and commonly used in enterprise industry.

However I’m guessing you didn’t mean that when you said “most reliable” in which case a WD Blue or a Seagate Barracuda will do just fine. If it’s for gaming you might want to look at a WD Black.

I want to store family photos & videos until I can afford huge amounts of online backup..

Today I got a great deal on a Barracuda 1TB - $26(converted) 2 year warranty!!! 

On 10/22/2020 at 4:39 AM, N05HIT said:

I want to store family photos & videos until I can afford huge amounts of online backup..

Today I got a great deal on a Barracuda 1TB - $26(converted) 2 year warranty!!! 

Very nice! Another cheap way to do simple things like photos and videos is a USB drive. Or as a backup. Photos are valuable as once they’re lost they are lost forever so a backup never hurts. Fortunately these days USB drives are pretty cheap! You can get a good quality 512GB USB drive for about $50.

CPU: i7 8700K (5.1 GHz OC). AIO: EVGA CLC 280 280mmGPUEVGA XC2 Ultra 2080Ti. PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular. MB: MSI MEG Z390 ACE. RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB (3600 MHz OC). STORAGE: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe, 2TB Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB Samsung 860 Evo, 1TB Samsung 860 QVO, 2TB Firecuda 7200rpm SSHD, 1TB WD Blue. CASE: NZXT H510 Elite. FANS: Corsair LL120 RGB 120mm x4. MONITOR: MSI Optix MAG271CQR 2560x1440 144hz. Headset: Steelseries Arctis 5 Gaming Headset. Keyboard: Razer Cynosa Chroma. Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate (Wireless) Webcam: Logitech C922x Pro Stream Webcam.