Lord Momin Helmet?

Hello. I am trying to put together a Darth Momin sith lord costume, but the one problem is that I can't find the helmet! Is there a way to get a cheap Lord Momin mask somewhere? I would prefer it to not have any scratches (those are more expensive, I will not pay $250 for a true to life helmet) and fit a normal sized head. Thank you!

Tried galaxyprops?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Isnt the fun of cosplay to build this stuff?

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

13 minutes ago, Praesi said:

The problem is craft skills require knowing how to perform them and having the time to do the building in the first place.  
to do a helmet like that there are a couple of manufacturing choices.  If one has sculpture skills one could build one out of any number of materials including paper mache, (fastest cheapest I can think of) but that’s like an 8 hour or more time commitment no matter what the medium even if one has the skills.  There are special construction foam sheets that would make it faster but no easier and materials could easily blow the budget.  Those foam sheets can be $50/sheet. In this particular crowd 3d printing would be the obvious choice. There are pre created models available that could simply be printed, but one has to know how to use a 3D printer which isn’t the easiest thing in the world and requires the existence of a printer to begin with.  Then there’s the printing, finishing, and painting.  I suspect just the finishing and painting is still several hours of work. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

15 hours ago, codermagic56 said:

Hello. I am trying to put together a Darth Momin sith lord costume, but the one problem is that I can't find the helmet! Is there a way to get a cheap Lord Momin mask somewhere? I would prefer it to not have any scratches (those are more expensive, I will not pay $250 for a true to life helmet) and fit a normal sized head. Thank you!

As far as I'm aware, there is no commercially available Darth Momin helmet.

There is at least one 3D printable model:

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-models/games-toys/other/sith-lord-momin-helmet-from-star-wars

But just a cursory glance at it says it'll be a bitch to print.

My best recommendation is to try to make your own - using craft/modeling Styrofoam is likely your best bet. Get a block big enough for the helmet, then shape out the outside of it. From there, if the foam is sturdy enough, you could carve out the inside. After that, paint it. For the visor itself either just cut a hole, or cut a hole then insert some tinted plastic.

If all else fails, pay a prop/costume maker to make you one based on the designs from the Comics. But I can't imagine what they would ask for a scratchbuild like that.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

As far as I'm aware, there is no commercially available Darth Momin helmet.

There is at least one 3D printable model:

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-models/games-toys/other/sith-lord-momin-helmet-from-star-wars

But just a cursory glance at it says it'll be a bitch to print.

My best recommendation is to try to make your own - using craft/modeling Styrofoam is likely your best bet. Get a block big enough for the helmet, then shape out the outside of it. From there, if the foam is sturdy enough, you could carve out the inside. After that, paint it. For the visor itself either just cut a hole, or cut a hole then insert some tinted plastic.

If all else fails, pay a prop/costume maker to make you one based on the designs from the Comics. But I can't imagine what they would ask for a scratchbuild like that.

Styrofoam is a not very good construction material.  Having an electrified wire knife helps (they can be built so time or money) but even then there are problems.  Also it’s not a whole whale of a lot cheaper than construction foams.  There are special flexible heat mailable foam sheets that are actually designed for building things like this.  You can see them used extensively on cosplay game shows which are available online.  Those were the high cost foam sheets I was talking about.  I suspect paper mache would be cheaper and no more difficult than styrofoam.  One will be lumpy and the other will have seam and cut accuracy problems.  Time and Final look would be about equally accurate.  A money reducing option would be to buy pre-printed pieces and assemble and finish them.  It’s tedious but not super difficult work.  Assemble, bondo, sand, filler putty, sand, couple coats of sand able primer, sand, color coat(s), clear coat.  A couple hours not including drying time.  Mostly of sanding.  These would be for any construction type though and a 3d print would require less bondo.  Might be 3 rounds of bondo for paper mache or styrofoam.

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

There are special flexible heat mailable foam sheets that are actually designed for building things like this.

Sintra? That's PVC foam (easily molded by heating with boiling water or a low heat heat gun, goes rigid once cooled), it's quite cheap if you have a place to get it locally. Unless you meant the type of foam that Halo cosplayers usually use (EVA foam IIRC) for their armor, that stuff is standard gym mats and also very cheap. 

Darth Momin's helmet looks quite similar to early Mandalorian helms, cosplayers for those usually do a combo of paper template + either thick paper mache or bondo body filler + fiberglass matting for structural strength, then a lot of sanding and filling before painting. I forget what all is open on the MMCC forums (Mandalorian Mercs Costume Club), but if you can view the build logs then you should be able to see how people construct their buckets. 

Cosplay stuff can be as expensive or as cheap as you like, the deciding factors are usually how much effort/time or money you want to put in. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Sintra? That's PVC foam (easily molded by heating with boiling water or a low heat heat gun, goes rigid once cooled), it's quite cheap if you have a place to get it locally. Unless you meant the type of foam that Halo cosplayers usually use (EVA foam IIRC) for their armor, that stuff is standard gym mats and also very cheap. 

Darth Momin's helmet looks quite similar to early Mandalorian helms, cosplayers for those usually do a combo of paper template + either thick paper mache or bondo body filler + fiberglass matting for structural strength, then a lot of sanding and filling before painting. I forget what all is open on the MMCC forums (Mandalorian Mercs Costume Club), but if you can view the build logs then you should be able to see how people construct their buckets. 

Cosplay stuff can be as expensive or as cheap as you like, the deciding factors are usually how much effort/time or money you want to put in. 

I don’t know the brand names.  There are several types, both more and less flexible.  One type can actually be done by using a particular type of yoga mat as it’s actually made of the same material.  I lack details though.  The question becomes how much time is available.

3 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Who in Hell is Lord Momin?

He is a long dead Sith Lord (from Star Wars, if that wasn't obvious) who possesses the helmet he wore in life. He was featured in several comic series - first in the Londo comics, and then again in one of the Darth Vader comics.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

He is a long dead Sith Lord (from Star Wars, if that wasn't obvious) who possesses the helmet he wore in life. He was featured in several comic series - first in the Londo comics, and then again in one of the Darth Vader comics.

I was never that deep in Star Wars...

8 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Okay... seems kind of off topic then.

35 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

He’s pretty deep star wars.  Wasn’t even in the movies.  All I saw was drawn stuff when I looked it up.  Seemed very “how-deep-can-i-go” kind of fannish.  One of the reasons I suggested galaxyprops.  

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

He’s pretty deep star wars.  Wasn’t even in the movies.  All I saw was drawn stuff when I looked it up.  Seemed very “how-deep-can-i-go” kind of fannish.  One of the reasons I suggested galaxyprops.  

Well given that I grew up between late 70's to early 90's, I was more into Star Trek and not Star Wars so... Yes I've seen the movies like everyone else. Say am I the one who thought that the Stormtroopers were robots?

3 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Well given that I grew up between late 70's to early 90's, I was more into Star Trek and not Star Wars so... Yes I've seen the movies like everyone else. Say am I the one who thought that the Stormtroopers were robots?

Probably not.  I think I remember thinking that at the first movie and being disabused when Han and Luke put on the storm trooper armor. It was in the theatre as I recall.  Not an early showing though.  It had already blown up and the general opinion is one simply had to see it.  First time I heard surround sound.  It blew me away.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Probably not.  I think I remember thinking that at the first movie and being disabused when Han and Luke put on the storm trooper armor. It was in the theatre as I recall.  Not an early showing though.  It had already blown up and the general opinion is one simply had to see it.  First time I heard surround sound.  It blew me away.

Wasn't that one of the first movies to have fancy sounds?

4 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Wasn't that one of the first movies to have fancy sounds?

The first.  The movie was originally intended to be a demonstration for Dolby.  It blew up though.

I just goggled Darth Momin, and checked out the image results. That helmet looks pretty difficult to DIY without serious skills, so yeah, I can totally understand wanting to get one.

Maybe see if someone on Etsy could make you one? Other than that, I'm not sure how/where to get one.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

4 minutes ago, Sarra said:

I just goggled Darth Momin, and checked out the image results. That helmet looks pretty difficult to DIY without serious skills, so yeah, I can totally understand wanting to get one.

Maybe see if someone on Etsy could make you one? Other than that, I'm not sure how/where to get one.

Therein is the problem.  It’s not a common character so it’s basically a bespoke art piece.  Hence the high prices.  There’s always making your own art of course.

On 10/20/2020 at 9:49 PM, Bombastinator said:

Tried galaxyprops?

I have, but it is super expensive ($150-$160) & I am not paying that much.

On 10/21/2020 at 12:07 AM, Praesi said:

I don't want to cosplay, I just want a simple costume.

1 hour ago, codermagic56 said:

I don't want to cosplay, I just want a simple costume.

If you just want a simple costume, and you're not willing to pay the cost to have a custom Momin mask created, I would just find the highest resolution image of the mask you can (with the mask facing "towards the camera")... and just print it off. Make a simple mask out of cardboard, and glue or tape the printed out mask onto the front of the cardboard.

Will it look good? No, probably not. But your only other option is to learn how to make custom cosplay grade masks and make your own legit one.

1 hour ago, codermagic56 said:

I have, but it is super expensive ($150-$160) & I am not paying that much.

You want something so rare that few people have even heard of it.  It’s going to have to be hand made.  A bespoke art piece.  As such you can do it yourself or pay someone else to.

There are some commercially available motorcycle lids of similar starting shape (scorpion exo covert wouldn't be a bad starting point) find one that's been in an accident or a Chinese knock off for dirt cheap and get creative with some foam and some spray paint.

Probably doable for $80 or so if you find the right lid.....