6700k Serious Overheating

Hi all,

I have my 6700k running at extreme temperatures and suspect it might be something to do with the aio pump but it still seems a little extreme to me.

once the system has been running it will sit at 75-95*C idle with 2% load, fans in the Corsair H115 running at speeds that resemble a helicopter taking off, let alone browsing the net and watching YouTube.

sometimes I can’t get past the bios screen because it’s too hot to boot (if I restart mid session)

I have put new thermal thermal grizzly paste on multiple times, repositioned fan configuration (every fan is working) , loaded optimised defaults in asus bios (to remove overclocks).

is it likely that this is just a aio pump problem? Could it be the cause of this much heat? If I get a cheap air cooler to test would this see drastic results results turn to normal on idle?

not sure if I should sink money into a new aio/air cooler or get a new cpu /mobo combo (since this is now a secondary computer)

thanks in advance 

cheers

Chris

can you rma the cooler? This is almost definitly the pump.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

On the AIO, are both tubes (inlet and outlet) feel warm to the touch? Does one tube feel hotter than the other? Are you sure the pump header is plugged in since you've been reattaching the pump to the CPU with new thermal paste?

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Do you have the AIO plugged into a case fan port? You want to make sure the pump is getting 12 V, many motherboards will reduce fan voltage for speed control on 3-pin fans.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

33 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

Do you have the AIO plugged into a case fan port? You want to make sure the pump is getting 12 V, many motherboards will reduce fan voltage for speed control on 3-pin fans.

Was plugged into CPU fan because system wouldn’t run when plugged into water cooler option but it’s only a 3 pin plug regardless, but have swapped it to the water cooler and moved one of the fans to the cpu fan slot and will test it out

51 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

can you rma the cooler? This is almost definitly the pump.

Na it’s about 4 years old now

thanks for reconfirming my assumptions