i7 4790 not Turbo Boosting

Go to solution Solved by beneficialq,

I figured it out. Turns out that the BIOS settings were not defaulted after all and the previous owner of the board locked the cpu clock for some reason. Thanks for the replies.

My MSI Z97 - G45 died and I replaced it with a used Gigabyte Z97 HD3. There are no issues with the board, however I noticed that even at 95+% load my i7 4790 does not turbo from 3.6 to 4 GHz as I expect it to. All BIOS settings are default, turbo boost is enabled. Thanks. 

Edited by beneficialq

Check your temperatures.  It could be throttling.  Also check your Windows power settings.  If it's not set to 100% max usage, then it won't turbo boost.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

4 GHz is the Max Turbo frequency, the CPU only reaches that if you load up a single core.

I ran a test on mine just to check this and under an all core load it runs at 3.8 GHz.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

3 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Check your temperatures.  It could be throttling.  Also check your Windows power settings.  If it's not set to 100% max usage, then it won't turbo boost.

Temps never exceed 41 Celsius under full load. Windows power is maxed.

5 minutes ago, DJ46 said:

4 GHz is the Max Turbo frequency, the CPU only reaches that if you load up a single core.

I ran a test on mine just to check this and under an all core load it runs at 3.8 GHz.

I should have specified, it does not exceed 3.6 GHz at all.

2 minutes ago, beneficialq said:

Temps never exceed 41 Celsius under full load. Windows power is maxed.

Yeah, that reply is just generic advice.

I went into the BIOS to check what I said and set all the cores to boost to 4 GHz manually. Ran Cinebench, still got a maximum all core boost of 3.8 GHz.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

I figured it out. Turns out that the BIOS settings were not defaulted after all and the previous owner of the board locked the cpu clock for some reason. Thanks for the replies.