SUPER MEGA 3970x Build - My First PC Build w/Custom Loop

Sam I Am Not

Planning my first PC build with a custom loop. My current 10-core 6950x overclocked to 4.3GHz isn't cutting it anymore and I keep finding myself under 100% load while I'm working so it's time for an upgrade.

Below is my parts wishlist. I can't find a Strix 3090 so I'm probably going to be stuck with a 2080 Ti for now until those become available. We will see if a steady stock of 3090's becomes available soon but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Wish me luck! I'll be updating my progress here as I go. I might need tips along the way. As of right now, I don't even know what headers the pump and fans go to.

-PC Specs-

Case: Lian-Li PC-011DW

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha TRX40

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core

GPU: ROG Strix RTX 3090

Memory: 256GB G.SKILL Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600

PSU: Corsair HX1000i

-Storage-

1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe (Operating System)

8TB Sabrent Rocket Q M.2 NVMe (Current Project Footage)

4TB Corsair MP510 M.2 NVMe (Project & Personal Files)

2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe (Scratch Drive)

-Cooling-

CPU block: EK-Quantum Momentum ROG Zenith II Extreme D-RGB - Plexi Monoblock

GPU block: EK-Quantum Vector Strix RTX 3080/3090 D-RGB - Nickel + Plexi

Reservoir/Pump: EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11D D5 PWM D-RGB - Plexi Distro Plate

Radiators: EK-CoolStream PE 240mm & 360mm

Fans: Noctua Chromax (3x NF-S12A PWM, 6x NF-F12 PWM)

Tubing: EK-HD 10/12 Acrylic

Fittings: EK-Quantum Torque HDC

Wait do you need some advise on the stuff here or is it all ready and set to go?

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Wait do you need some advise on the stuff here or is it all ready and set to go?

This is the build log subforum so he probably has everything layed out :)

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

1 minute ago, FloRolf said:

This is the build log subforum so he probably has everything layed out :)

Oh my bad I didn't notice woops.

29 minutes ago, jaslion said:

My parts list is set. Now it's just a matter of executing the build.

Not off to the greatest start. Just got my CPU in the mail, opened the box, and there was a 3970x box with two broken seals and no CPU inside.

IMG_5826 no cpu.jpg

2 hours ago, Sam I Am Not said:

Just got my CPU in the mail, opened the box, and there was a 3970x box with two broken seals and no CPU inside.

Ouch. Hopefully you get sent another one soon!

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

6 hours ago, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

Ouch. Hopefully you get sent another one soon!

Another is being sent out and is supposed to arrive in 3 days. I think there must be a thief in the Amazon shipping department. That seems more likely than somebody buying and returning it with the CPU removed and the empty packaging getting resold. Somebody must inspect returns on items of this price. I highly doubt a CPU ever comes from the AMD factory like this which Amazon seemed to suggest when they asked if I wanted to sort it out with AMD directly.

Thankfully the replacement is getting delivered soon. I'd be very upset if I had to deal with starting a claim and waiting for days or weeks of investigating before I could get a refund or replacement.

CPU and monoblock installed. That probably should've taken 20 minutes instead of two hours but I really didn't want to screw up that part.

mobo_and_block.jpg

CPU_inserted.JPG

block installed 2.JPG

• 1 month later...

I built nearly the same machine at the beginning of this year. Did you have any issues with the double-sided Sabrent Rocket 8tb M.2 SSD fitting on the motherboard or did you put it in the DIMM M.2 module?

14 minutes ago, spice3d said:

I built nearly the same machine at the beginning of this year. Did you have any issues with the double-sided Sabrent Rocket 8tb M.2 SSD fitting on the motherboard or did you put it in the DIMM M.2 module?

I ended up populating the motherboard with all 2TB 970 Evo Plus drives. I was going to get the Sabrent for current projects but ended going the NAS route so I can have everything in once place. A 96TB NAS with 2x 2TB NVMe drives for read and write cahce ended up being a better solution. The NVMe cahce drives and 10 Gigabit connection give me more than enough overhead, even when working with 8K footage.

On 12/15/2020 at 1:00 PM, Sam I Am Not said:

I ended up populating the motherboard with all 2TB 970 Evo Plus drives. I was going to get the Sabrent for current projects but ended going the NAS route so I can have everything in once place. A 96TB NAS with 2x 2TB NVMe drives for read and write cahce ended up being a better solution. The NVMe cahce drives and 10 Gigabit connection give me more than enough overhead, even when working with 8K footage.

Thanks. 96TB. Dang! I’m glad I’m not into video editing. I use my rig for music production.

On 12/19/2020 at 7:40 AM, spice3d said:

Thanks. 96TB. Dang! I’m glad I’m not into video editing. I use my rig for music production.

96TB of hard drives but technically it's only 64TB of storage since it's in RAID 6. Thankfully it can be expanded to 144TB on the cheap with a 5-bay expansion unit. The rebuild times after a drive failure must be days on a RAID that size though.