Help regarding recommendations for laptops & HP Envy 15 2020 thermals

I am a Master's student who primarily uses software like Ansys Fluent, Solidworks, Matlab and MS Office. I also sometimes use Lightroom and Photoshop for photo editing and I do some light gaming once in a while.

Does anyone have any idea regarding the thermal performance of the HP Envy 15 2020 (15-ep0010nr) having the following specifications:- Intel Core i7-10750h, Nvidia GTX 1650ti, 16GB DDR4 2933MHz Ram, 512GB PCIe NVMeM.2 SSD, Windows 10 Home, an awesome display, good battery backup (compared to gaming laptops) and under $1300.

I was thinking of buying this laptop but am not sure about the cooling. I am aware that the RTX 2060 Max-Q model of the same laptop comes with a vapour chamber. But I am not sure if the above model comes with the same vapour chamber or has some other cooling system. I would appreciate it if anyone has any knowledge regarding this specific variant. I am also considering Lenovo Legion 5i but it's built isn't as good as the Envy 15 and also I won't be gaming a lot. Recommendations are welcome for laptops meeting my requirements and for a budget below $1300. I am not interested in Ryzen processors as Ansys Fluent requires around 4gb ram per core and Solidworks performance is based on single core. The link for the HP 15-ep0010nr is below.

https://www.amazon.com/HP-i7-10750H-Touchscreen-Fingerprint-15-ep0010nr/dp/B0888SQHS6/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=hp+envy+15+2020&qid=1602991948&refinements=p_89%3AHP%2Cp_n_feature_five_browse-bin%3A13580790011%2Cp_n_feature_four_browse-bin%3A2289792011&rnid=676578011&s=pc&sprefix=hp+envy+15&sr=1-12

So IDk what you are going to play on it and the only software I know from the list is photoshop but those all are probably not recurse heavy software (right?). And I also ahve no idea about the cooling system of this laptop. But I can tell you that If "light gaming" is the most damending games youll use this laptop for the the cooling nsystem it has is probably enough (HP are not known for thier amazing cooling systems but they never had bad cooling systems). the 1650TI needs much less cooling compared to the 2060 max Q and I trush HP to have a good cooling system on the I7. If there are no big cooling concerns in the reveiws of this laptop (if there are cooling problems with a laptop and you read reviews about it youll know it has cooling problems) then its probably fine. 

Also the Legion 5I is a drasticlly different laptop and If you dont want a gaming laptop then ill go with the HP. 

5 hours ago, Elad.Evron said:

So IDk what you are going to play on it and the only software I know from the list is photoshop but those all are probably not recurse heavy software (right?). And I also ahve no idea about the cooling system of this laptop. But I can tell you that If "light gaming" is the most damending games youll use this laptop for the the cooling nsystem it has is probably enough (HP are not known for thier amazing cooling systems but they never had bad cooling systems). the 1650TI needs much less cooling compared to the 2060 max Q and I trush HP to have a good cooling system on the I7. If there are no big cooling concerns in the reveiws of this laptop (if there are cooling problems with a laptop and you read reviews about it youll know it has cooling problems) then its probably fine. 

Also the Legion 5I is a drasticlly different laptop and If you dont want a gaming laptop then ill go with the HP. 

Thanks for your help. By light gaming I mean something like PUBG Lite with medium settings, 60fps and playing probably once or twice a week. The RTX 2060 model of HP Envy 15 comes with a vapour chamber, but as GTX 1650ti does not require cooling to the extent of RTX 2060, they probably would have swapped the vapour chamber for a traditional heat pipe cooling. This might reduce its performance. This is my speculation, hence I asked the question. 

The softwares I have mentioned are used for 3D modelling and simulation. Hence the load on the CPU can be for an extended period of time, sometimes even for couple of hours for a single simulation. It does not require a GPU as such (these software support only Nvidia Quadro GPUs and perform better on Intel CPUs). 

Hence I need a powerful laptop with great cooling, a color accurate screen and is under $1300. Hence Lenovo Legion 5i seems to be a good fit too I believe.

1 minute ago, Student Matrix said:

By light gaming I mean something like PUBG Lite with medium settings, 60fps and playing probably once or twice a week. The RTX 2060 model of HP Envy 15 comes with a vapour chamber, but as GTX 1650ti does not require cooling to the extent of RTX 2060, they probably would have swapped the vapour chamber for a traditional heat pipe cooling. This might reduce its performance. This is my speculation, hence I asked the question. 

The softwares I have mentioned are used for 3D modelling and simulation. Hence the load on the CPU can be for an extended period of time, sometimes even for couple of hours for a single simulation. It does not require a GPU as such (these software support only Nvidia Quadro GPUs and perform better on Intel CPUs). 

Hence I need a powerful laptop with great cooling, a color accurate screen and is under $1300. Hence Lenovo Legion 5i seems to be a good fit too I believe.

The 1650TI wont throttle, at list not im pubg or other lite shooters like that (IDK about the thermal limits when its stressed but I really doubt it would thermal throttle anyway), The CPU cooling is probably the same on both models because its the same CPU. If your really concerned with cooling then the Lenovo laptop will ahve better cooling but ig your going to daily drive the thing then the HP is the winner. 

and Im just wandering, do you need a laptop? like do you need your main PC to be a laptop or will a stronger desktop fopr the 3D stuff and a light laptop could alsop do the job?

13 hours ago, Elad.Evron said:

The 1650TI wont throttle, at list not im pubg or other lite shooters like that (IDK about the thermal limits when its stressed but I really doubt it would thermal throttle anyway), The CPU cooling is probably the same on both models because its the same CPU. If your really concerned with cooling then the Lenovo laptop will ahve better cooling but ig your going to daily drive the thing then the HP is the winner. 

and Im just wandering, do you need a laptop? like do you need your main PC to be a laptop or will a stronger desktop fopr the 3D stuff and a light laptop could alsop do the job?

I will get access to a desktop once the university starts to function properly. I have remote access but it just feels laggy and if there's another lockdown (even if the possibility is really slim) I will be in a difficult situation. Hence to avoid these possibilities, I want to buy a good laptop.

1 minute ago, Student Matrix said:

I will get access to a desktop once the university starts to function properly. I have remote access but it just feels laggy and if there's another lockdown (even if the possibility is really slim) I will be in a difficult situation. Hence to avoid these possibilities, I want to buy a good laptop.

IDK where you leave but we in Israe just got out of the 2nd lockdown (like it yesterday) and it wasnt fun. and I really get you about the remote access but it really sucks and I just cant find myself using it for more then like 15 min at a time.

But usually I would reccomend a desktop with a desktop CPU because a desktop i5 is stronger then a laptop i7. and buy another laptop with either intel 11th gen or with Nvidia MX 450/350/250 and it should really be enough for lite gaming (the 450 shuold be really nice but its just launching with laptops in RN and it wont be wildy avilable on lower end laptop for 2 months ish.

also just so youll know, I have a gamming grade laptop (asus TUF) and I have a 2020 model and I have worse specs then that HP not gaming grade laptop. I have a ryzen 7 3750h (its zen+) and a GTX 1650 

16 minutes ago, Elad.Evron said:

IDK where you leave but we in Israe just got out of the 2nd lockdown (like it yesterday) and it wasnt fun. and I really get you about the remote access but it really sucks and I just cant find myself using it for more then like 15 min at a time.

But usually I would reccomend a desktop with a desktop CPU because a desktop i5 is stronger then a laptop i7. and buy another laptop with either intel 11th gen or with Nvidia MX 450/350/250 and it should really be enough for lite gaming (the 450 shuold be really nice but its just launching with laptops in RN and it wont be wildy avilable on lower end laptop for 2 months ish.

also just so youll know, I have a gamming grade laptop (asus TUF) and I have a 2020 model and I have worse specs then that HP not gaming grade laptop. I have a ryzen 7 3750h (its zen+) and a GTX 1650 

GTX 1605 is either way better for "lite gaming" than MX series. On GTX 1650 laptop you can at least play RDR2 on Med in stable 30-40 FPS depending on the CPU. I don't know how about Ryzen ( I am not proficient in those CPU's) but on Intel I5 you should be able to play it. IMO without fireworks but It's playable.

Do you have any preference on weight and battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 hour ago, Dream Machines Official said:

GTX 1605 is either way better for "lite gaming" than MX series. On GTX 1650 laptop you can at least play RDR2 on Med in stable 30-40 FPS depending on the CPU. I don't know how about Ryzen ( I am not proficient in those CPU's) but on Intel I5 you should be able to play it. IMO without fireworks but It's playable.

Of course that the 1650 is much better for lite gaming, but if lite gaming is the only gaming you do then ill recomond the Mx series because they are much cheaper and more avilable

3 hours ago, Elad.Evron said:

Of course that the 1650 is much better for lite gaming, but if lite gaming is the only gaming you do then ill recomond the Mx series because they are much cheaper and more avilable

As I already have a desktop at the university, I am more inclined towards getting a laptop. Also what you said is true, I won't need a super high spec laptop in the foreseeable future. But it's good to have some power in the laptop. There is another laptop from Asus called Asus Vivobook Gaming. It has i7 9750h, GTX 1650, 16gb ram, 512gb SSD + 32gb optane, 120hz display and is under 1000$. But there aren't many reviews regarding its performance and thermals. So I am not sure.

3 hours ago, Student Matrix said:

As I already have a desktop at the university, I am more inclined towards getting a laptop. Also what you said is true, I won't need a super high spec laptop in the foreseeable future. But it's good to have some power in the laptop. There is another laptop from Asus called Asus Vivobook Gaming. It has i7 9750h, GTX 1650, 16gb ram, 512gb SSD + 32gb optane, 120hz display and is under 1000$. But there aren't many reviews regarding its performance and thermals. So I am not sure.

The Vivobook gaming has the same cooling system as the asus tuf A 15, which is a hot laptop but it doesnt throttle, it could be an interestin laptop 

25 minutes ago, Elad.Evron said:

The Vivobook gaming has the same cooling system as the asus tuf A 15, which is a hot laptop but it doesnt throttle, it could be an interestin laptop 

Yeah.... exactly

13 minutes ago, Student Matrix said:

Yeah.... exactly

I speeled interesting completly wrong and its kinda funny