LG 27GL850 + 1080TI Games crashing

Vibes NoVibes

Hello!

I am facing some serious issues with my monitor upgrade (from 1080p to 27GL850). Can someone please help?

Thanks in advance!

You really really need to elaborate or absolutely no one will help you. 

Not trying to be toxic, just that if you called the most skill PC servicing+repair company and said this exact same thing over the phone, they would ask the same thing. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

1 hour ago, Nathanpete said:

You really really need to elaborate or absolutely no one will help you. 

Not trying to be toxic, just that if you called the most skill PC servicing+repair company and said this exact same thing over the phone, they would ask the same thing. 

Hey! Sorry I wrote my last post in haste. My games keep crashing when I use the 27GL850, not sure why. Are there any settings that I need to forego to play with a 1080TI?

1 hour ago, Vaibbhav said:

Hey! Sorry I wrote my last post in haste. My games keep crashing when I use the 27GL850, not sure why. Are there any settings that I need to forego to play with a 1080TI?

This doesn't help at all. WE NEED MORE INFO on what is going on. Nobody can recommend any solution or any change in settings before narrowing down the dozens of possibilities. Either we give a super generic response (which I'm not qualified for in your situation) that probably won't help, or we give you a couple of possible solutions that probably won't fix the issue and may cause even more. 

Examples of stuff you can answer are: What are the circumstances, what does the rest of the system made of, any other issues, any theories, what is the state of your hardware. 

The only thing that you answered correctly is your monitor's model name, but beyond that it is a 1440p 144Hz display, I don't know if this helps us. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

28 minutes ago, Nathanpete said:

This doesn't help at all. WE NEED MORE INFO on what is going on. Nobody can recommend any solution or any change in settings before narrowing down the dozens of possibilities. Either we give a super generic response (which I'm not qualified for in your situation) that probably won't help, or we give you a couple of possible solutions that probably won't fix the issue and may cause even more. 

Examples of stuff you can answer are: What are the circumstances, what does the rest of the system made of, any other issues, any theories, what is the state of your hardware. 

The only thing that you answered correctly is your monitor's model name, but beyond that it is a 1440p 144Hz display, I don't know if this helps us. 

I understand.

My config:

GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS ULTRA
Intel® Core™ i7-8700K clocked at 4.3 Ghz
RAM CORSAIR VENGEANCE® RGB 32GB (2 X 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHZ C16 MEMORY KIT          
GRAPHICS CARD ZOTAC GEFORCE® GTX 1080 TI AMP EXTREME 11GB GDDR5X
SAMSUNG 960 EVO 250GB M.2 NVMe Internal Ssd (MZ-V6E250BW)          
CORSAIR MID TOWER CABINET (ATX) - 570X RGB WITH TEMPERED GLASS SIDE PANEL          

CORSAIR SMPS TX750M - 750 WATT 80 PLUS GOLD CERTIFICATION SEMI MODULAR PSU WITH ACTIVE PFC          

COOLER MASTER MASTERLIQUID ML240L RGB Cpu Liquid Cooler          

KEYBOARD + MOUSE COOLER MASTER MASTERKEYS LITE L RGB COMBO          
HDD WD BLUE 4TB x 2 (games are installed on these drives)

As I try to play any game with Medium/High/Highest settings at 144hz, they're freezing and I am forced to restart my computer using the power button. They are working perfectly fine at 60hz on my old monitor.

3 minutes ago, Vaibbhav said:

-snip-

As I try to play any game with Medium/High/Highest settings at 144hz, they're freezing and I am forced to restart my computer using the power button. They are working perfectly fine at 60hz on my old monitor.

Well nothing seems to be out of the ordinary in the setup. You need to play at medium for most games anyway, the 1080ti is still strong, and the 8700K still isn't that bad as an older CPU (As in I don't recommend anybody buy it brand new rn unless you get a fantastic deal) but both are prob going to show their age in new titles. 

The only reason I can think of your computer needing to be shut down via power button is if the GPU is the issue, that means the rest of the system is acting normal but the GPU shut itself down to save itself from causing damage to itself. That means you lose display which you are interpreting as the computer failing, (this is not called crashing. Crashing is the right word when you see an error code, the program closes itself, or a BSOD) because other hardware or software failures would result in a crash to desktop, BSOD, or automatic power off w/o proper shutdown (for example if the PSU sees a sudden change in current or the 8700K reaches 100 degrees celsius, the entire computer would power off like you blew a breaker or the power went out.) 

TBH all this means is that we have isolated the issue to the GPU being unstable and shutting itself down. You could be hitting power limits, thermal limits, or plenty of other things. Your fans aren't doing enough to cool it down and it hits the thermal shut down point, or worse: hardware failure. If your GPU has a physical VBIOS switch, then open your GPU manual (hopefully you still have it), and make sure it isn't on a quiet mode. 

The only thing I can think of it go into nvidia control panel to turn stuff on or off that would make the GPU do less work. Move as much of the processing power to the CPU. This is also done in game by running on low settings, you can also lower the in-game resolution to something like 1200p or 1080p for testing purposes, and see if you still have the issue. You can even download MSI afterburner to put the fans on full speed and raise the power limits to give more headroom before a power limit or thermal shutdown. 

If you still experience issues your card may be damaged in a sense. You can sell it on ebay as used and put a disclaimer stating this GPU cannot handle 1440p. GPU usage and durability is a big issue on ebay. For example, don't buy a RX 480 off of ebay if you can't prove the card wasn't used for crypto mining. Those cards were a beast at it, but they chewed away at their durability and now those same cards have issues doing everyday gaming. 

5 hours ago, Nathanpete said:

Well nothing seems to be out of the ordinary in the setup. You need to play at medium for most games anyway, the 1080ti is still strong, and the 8700K still isn't that bad as an older CPU (As in I don't recommend anybody buy it brand new rn unless you get a fantastic deal) but both are prob going to show their age in new titles. 

The only reason I can think of your computer needing to be shut down via power button is if the GPU is the issue, that means the rest of the system is acting normal but the GPU shut itself down to save itself from causing damage to itself. That means you lose display which you are interpreting as the computer failing, (this is not called crashing. Crashing is the right word when you see an error code, the program closes itself, or a BSOD) because other hardware or software failures would result in a crash to desktop, BSOD, or automatic power off w/o proper shutdown (for example if the PSU sees a sudden change in current or the 8700K reaches 100 degrees celsius, the entire computer would power off like you blew a breaker or the power went out.) 

TBH all this means is that we have isolated the issue to the GPU being unstable and shutting itself down. You could be hitting power limits, thermal limits, or plenty of other things. Your fans aren't doing enough to cool it down and it hits the thermal shut down point, or worse: hardware failure. If your GPU has a physical VBIOS switch, then open your GPU manual (hopefully you still have it), and make sure it isn't on a quiet mode. 

The only thing I can think of it go into nvidia control panel to turn stuff on or off that would make the GPU do less work. Move as much of the processing power to the CPU. This is also done in game by running on low settings, you can also lower the in-game resolution to something like 1200p or 1080p for testing purposes, and see if you still have the issue. You can even download MSI afterburner to put the fans on full speed and raise the power limits to give more headroom before a power limit or thermal shutdown. 

If you still experience issues your card may be damaged in a sense. You can sell it on ebay as used and put a disclaimer stating this GPU cannot handle 1440p. GPU usage and durability is a big issue on ebay. For example, don't buy a RX 480 off of ebay if you can't prove the card wasn't used for crypto mining. Those cards were a beast at it, but they chewed away at their durability and now those same cards have issues doing everyday gaming. 

Thanks mate for a detailed response! I'll try out the recos and let you know what happens.

I'm very interested what would happen if you would go into windows settings and route your GPU power to display out the mobo's HDMI OUT. If and when the GPU shut down, would the system switch over to the onboard UHD 630 after a short delay or would you get the same result bc windows doesn't know what to do or even notice. 

12 hours ago, Nathanpete said:

I'm very interested what would happen if you would go into windows settings and route your GPU power to display out the mobo's HDMI OUT. If and when the GPU shut down, would the system switch over to the onboard UHD 630 after a short delay or would you get the same result bc windows doesn't know what to do or even notice. 

Absolutely! I'll give that a try too.

I also realized that the card is still under extended warranty for another 3 years (yay!) and so I'll reach out to Zotac and see if they can help me with the issue.

11 hours ago, Vaibbhav said:

Absolutely! I'll give that a try too.

I also realized that the card is still under extended warranty for another 3 years (yay!) and so I'll reach out to Zotac and see if they can help me with the issue.

I tried you recommendations of routing power to onboard graphics but it didn't work. Today, I have run some benchmarks using Furmark, Geekbench and Userbenchmark and the results have been very patchy. On my old 1080p monitor the tests runs without any issue but with the 27GL850, Furmark and Userbenchmark crash randomly. I am also wondering if it's a PSU issue. Thoughts?

On 10/18/2020 at 8:18 AM, Nathanpete said:

Actually it's probably the PSU...

1080ti should be perfectly fine for 1440p, so what's happening is if he switches monitors and the GPU has to render at higher resolution it needs more power and the PSU is glitching out making the system crash because it can't deliver the required power...

Just a guess, and based on your analysis... :)

I don't think the card is outdated or anything, there aren't any new games out yet designed for more powerful cards (afaik)

so what OP should do is get a new PSU and test it!

Yes, I'm just guessing here but given the circumstances I think this is likely

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

14 hours ago, Vaibbhav said:

am also wondering if it's a PSU issue

... Most likely 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

9 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Actually it's probably the PSU...

1080ti should be perfectly fine for 1440p, so what's happening is if he switches monitors and the GPU has to render at higher resolution it needs more power and the PSU is glitching out making the system crash because it can't deliver the required power...

Just a guess, and based on your analysis... :)

I don't think the card is outdated or anything, there aren't any new games out yet designed for more powerful cards (afaik)

so what OP should do is get a new PSU and test it!

Yes, I'm just guessing here but given the circumstances I think this is likely

I kinda ignored the PSU in my analysis because in my experience PSU issues only arise after many many years or if it is some no name low reputation PSU maker, and it was 750w so I didn't think it was a power draw issue. But this actually makes sense. 

It looks like the issue is related to Windows 10 in some way

I tried this and now Furmark runs without any issue. Max Temp recorded: 78 degrees

image.thumb.png.f4ec8f54c12a87cb7eba2f50260866f7.png

but now I have identified the problem. It seems something is blocking access to my GPU :( Any thoughts on what it could be?

image.thumb.png.d1a243c7c2a2868e8ae09bfea6a64461.png

image.png