NVME m.2 high temperatures

CAC1291

Hi, I have a Crucial P1 1TB m.2 NVME drive. It's installed in a the m.2 slot directly beneath my GPU in my AsRock X570m Pro4. As can be seen in the screenshot link below, the "drive temperature 5" reading for this drive has hit 88 degrees in HWInfo while gaming and it looks like 96 degrees just in the last few minutes... not sure why, since I haven't gamed in a bit. My GPU temperature hasn't exceeded 68 degrees. 

Is this temperature dangerous and could it decrease the drive's performance/cause harm to the drive? I figured it was since it was highlighted red. 

EDIT: Forgot the link https://imgur.com/a/EFefits

@CAC1291Ive posted in the past that i have high temperatures on my NVME but not that high, i have a Samsung EVO Plus 970 1TB and mine hits the mid 60*cs

MAIN PC (Beast) - Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WIFI  with BIOS 4703, AMD Ryzen R9 3900XT + Corsair H115i Pro RGB XT Cooling, 32GB G.Skill 3200Mhz 16,18,18,38 1.35v DDR4, Inno3d HerculeZ Design Nvidia GTX 1080 X2 8GB GDDR5,  1 x Samsung U28E590D & 1 x Samsung U32J59XUQ 3840 x 2160 4K, 1 x Samsung Evo 970 Evo Plus NVME PCI-E 1TB, 1 x Samsung Evo 850 250GB, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB + 2 X 3TB Seagate Barracuda SATA III, 1 x LG BH16NS40 16x BR\DVDRW, ICYBOX IB3740-C31 & ICYBOX IB3640-03,  MZHOU 7 Ports PCIe USB 3.0 Card, 1 x XIAOLO 2.5G Intel I225V Ethernet Card, 2 x UGREEN Hard Drive Enclosure 3.5 inch External SATA Disk Caddy Reader USB 3.0 2.5 3.5 HDD SSD 16TB UASP Case Dock Station With 12V 2A Power Adapter For Windows with 6TB Seagate Barracuda SATA III, Corsair Obsidian 750D Wind Force Edition Case + 5 Corsair ML140 140mm Case Fans, EVGA 750 g3 750w Gold 80+ PSU, Logitech MX Vertical Mouse, Logitech MX Vertical & MX Ergo Trackball Mouse using same USB unifying device, Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard, Windows 11 Pro x64 Retail, Synology ds215j NAS + 1x3TB WD Reds connected to a 6TB Seagate USB 3.0 Backup Plus Hub, Blue Yeti Microphone, Logitech C922 Pro HD,  Logitech C920 Pro HD, Bit Defender Total Security 2021.

Second PC (Cyclops) - MSI 990FXA Gaming, AMD FX 8370 4Ghz, Corsair 16GB Vengeance Red 9-9-9-24 1600Mhz, Arctic Cooling Freezer 13, Asus Strix 1050TI 4GB, 1 X Acer 27" Full HD Monitor, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB, 1 x Samsung Evo 850 250GB, 2 X Seagate Barracuda 2TB, 1 X WD Black 2TB, 1 x ASUS 16x DVDRW, X-Case Eagle III Case, 3 X Corsair AF 120 Case Fans, EVGA 850 G2 80+ Gold + PSU, Logitech MX Master Mouse, Corsair K30 Keyboard, Logitech C920 Webcam, R0DE NT1-A Microphone, Scarlet 212 Audio Interface (Revision 2), Windows 10 Pro X64 Retail, Bit Defender Total Security 2021, 2TB Seagate Expansion USB Hard Drive.

Third PC (Old Trustie) - Acer Aspire M3400, OEM Mainboard, AMD FX Athlon II X3 425 2.7Ghz, 16GB Corsair Value 1600Mhz Ram, OEM CPU Cooler, AMD R7 260 2GB GPU, 1 X Acer 27" Full HD Monitor, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB, 2TB Samsung SATA III, 1 X OEM 16X DVDRW, 1 X Acer OEM Case, 1 X Corsair AF120 Case Can, Corsair CX500 Bronze+ CPU, Logitech MX Master Mouse, Corsair K30 Keyboard, Windows 10 Home X64 OEM, Logitech C920 Webcam, Bit Defender Total Security 2021.

Printers Include - Canon MG5750, Canon, IP8750,  Canon Pixma Mega tank G5050 & 2 X Samsung Xpress C410W.

1 X Zexrow Xbox360 Wired Game Controller.

TP Link Archer AX6000 Cable Router Wifi6 with a Virgin Media Hub 4.0 in Modem only mode running 1GB Fibre internet.

Samsung Galaxy S21+ 256GB Mobile Phone.

Internet Speed.....

https://www.speedtest.net/result/9935039193

96C is too high. RMA

Operating Temperature. – Commercial (0°C to 70°C)

I edit my posts more often than not

2 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

96C is too high. RMA

Okay. Before I begin that process and figure out where to put my games (since that's my games drive at the moment), is it possible that moving this to the other M.2 slot, a bit farther from the GPU, would lower these temperatures?

1 minute ago, CAC1291 said:

Okay. Before I begin that process and figure out where to put my games (since that's my games drive at the moment), is it possible that moving this to the other M.2 slot, a bit farther from the GPU, would lower these temperatures?

If it's possible to test it farther from GPU it's a good option to start with. (Buy) an external HDD or some other drive for games maybe?

Just now, Tan3l6 said:

If it's possible to test it farther from GPU it's a good option to start with. (Buy) an external HDD or some other drive for games maybe?

I've been thinking of doing a clean install of windows for other reasons anyway, and I just bought a 1TB 2.5 inch SATA SSD to replace a dying HDD. I can try installing my games on that drive both before/after the clean windows install, leaving the NVME empty, to see if the GPU is heating up the NVME. 

After more googling (not sure why this didn't come up in the initial 30 minutes of searching...) it looks like someone else also posted about a similar issue and Crucial told them "the relevant temperatures (Temperature Sensor 1 and Temperature Sensor 2) are the NAND-Flash temps. They are available at the SMART Data Offset 1 and represent the average temperature for the NANDs. Temperature 5 is the temp of the controller which "could sometimes be higher than 70 degrees Celsius."

6 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

96C is too high. RMA

6 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Operating Temperature. – Commercial (0°C to 70°C)

this is a  misinterpretation of this temperature range, operating temperature is not the controller temperature himself.

this mean, it can operate upto 70°C ambient temperature.

the controller himself probably have a max junction temperature around 150°C.

96°C is not critical for the controller, but it lead for sure to thermal throttling.

2 minutes ago, whaka said:

this is a  misinterpretation of this temperature range, operating temperature is not the controller temperature himself.

the controller himself probably have a max junction temperature around 150°C.

96°C is not critical for the controller, but it lead for sure to thermal throttling.

Could this thermal throttling lead to decreased performance in games? I've been having issues with FPS dropping randomly in some games and wasn't sure if this could be the cause

39 minutes ago, whaka said:

Considered that, but why isn't there then clear indication of the maximum safe "operating temperature" in the sense of maximum sustained temperature by the drive itself? As if "sky is the limit"?

Still seems that the 0-70 is the drive's minimum-maximum temperature. I'm not exactly 100% sure but the "operating temperature" seems to be the range of temperatures the devices themselves should not exceed.

53 minutes ago, CAC1291 said:

Could this thermal throttling lead to decreased performance in games? I've been having issues with FPS dropping randomly in some games and wasn't sure if this could be the cause

i can't tell for sure in general. but thermal throttling will seriously impact sequential read/write, by a factor of 10/20... so, it become slow as a "classic" hard drive.

but, in the other hand, access time and random read/write are still better, even in thermal throttling situation.

sooo, maybe you can feel it in game when big files are loaded.

52 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Considered that, but why isn't there then clear indication of the maximum safe "operating temperature" in the sense of maximum sustained temperature by the drive itself? As if "sky is the limit"?

Still seems that the 0-70 is the drive's minimum-maximum temperature.

operating temperature has always meaning for ambient temperature range.

but i agree, it's not always clear. and sometimes, you don't easily get this information.

for the exemple, i tried to find it for my seasonic focus gx650 and found nothing... nothing on the box or in booklet.

you have to go on their website to get it. and it's 0-50°C. and i can assure you, when you load a psu, even 80+ gold, some internal parts can go over 50°C.

4 hours ago, CAC1291 said:

Hi, I have a Crucial P1 1TB m.2 NVME drive. It's installed in a the m.2 slot directly beneath my GPU in my AsRock X570m Pro4. As can be seen in the screenshot link below, the "drive temperature 5" reading for this drive has hit 88 degrees in HWInfo while gaming and it looks like 96 degrees just in the last few minutes... not sure why, since I haven't gamed in a bit. My GPU temperature hasn't exceeded 68 degrees. 

Is this temperature dangerous and could it decrease the drive's performance/cause harm to the drive? I figured it was since it was highlighted red. 

EDIT: Forgot the link https://imgur.com/a/EFefits

First thing what SSD do you have? seconf thing your motherboard should have came with an M.2 heat spreader thingy, use it, if not put a big thermal pad on you ssd. NAND flash prefers operating at arounf 45 degrees C and you only lose around 5% of prefornece and long term life spend at up to around 60 C, anything above 75 for long amounts of time is not healthy for your SSD and will dramaticly redduce your short and long term preformence, and drasticly reduce the lifespand sometimes by as much as 50%. 

usually QLC ssds handle heat better, but that doesnt mean that what I said isnt true. the nand type probably doesnt matter at tempratures that high 

22 minutes ago, Elad.Evron said:

First thing what SSD do you have? seconf thing your motherboard should have came with an M.2 heat spreader thingy, use it, if not put a big thermal pad on you ssd. NAND flash prefers operating at arounf 45 degrees C and you only lose around 5% of prefornece and long term life spend at up to around 60 C, anything above 75 for long amounts of time is not healthy for your SSD and will dramaticly redduce your short and long term preformence, and drasticly reduce the lifespand sometimes by as much as 50%. 

usually QLC ssds handle heat better, but that doesnt mean that what I said isnt true. the nand type probably doesnt matter at tempratures that high 

As mentioned in my original post, my SSD is a Crucial P1 1TB m.2 NVME. After reading your comment, I just realized that I do not have my M.2 ssd installed in the slot that has a heatsink; my motherboard has two M.2 slots and my SSD is currently plugged into the one next to the heatsink rather than under it. I will move it from one slot to the other later today or tomorrow night. I am visiting family for a day so I may not be able to test this issue further for about 24 hours, but I will post any updates here.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. 

1 minute ago, CAC1291 said:

As mentioned in my original post, my SSD is a Crucial P1 1TB m.2 NVME. After reading your comment, I just realized that I do not have my M.2 ssd installed in the slot that has a heatsink; my motherboard has two M.2 slots and my SSD is currently plugged into the one next to the heatsink rather than under it. I will move it from one slot to the other later today or tomorrow night. I am visiting family for a day so I may not be able to test this issue further for about 24 hours, but I will post any updates here.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. 

If you PC is turned off then your SSD isnt getting more damaged so dont worry about testing it as long as you can. 

and make sure to qoute me so ill remeber to look at your test results 

On 10/16/2020 at 3:26 PM, Elad.Evron said:

If you PC is turned off then your SSD isnt getting more damaged so dont worry about testing it as long as you can. 

and make sure to qoute me so ill remeber to look at your test results 

So, after moving my SSD to the slot under the heatsink (which has a thermal pad on the bottom), the temperatures have definitely dropped. 

While playing Wolfenstein, with the game installed on the NVMe and the GPU averaging around 63 C, the drive hit a max temperature of 75 degrees. It fluctuated between 65-75. Before I left on Friday, it was hitting a max of 81 playing the same level in Wolfenstein. 

To see if the GPU was having a significant effect, I moved the game over to another SSD (just a regular 2.5inch sata drive). Playing the same level, the NVMe never hit higher than 63C. 

Is the 75C temperature still too high? Seeing as this is supposed to be a drive for games, if that's too high even with a heat sink I may try to RMA it. It's too late to return it and use the money for an NVMe that doesn't get too hot. 

4 hours ago, CAC1291 said:

So, after moving my SSD to the slot under the heatsink (which has a thermal pad on the bottom), the temperatures have definitely dropped. 

While playing Wolfenstein, with the game installed on the NVMe and the GPU averaging around 63 C, the drive hit a max temperature of 75 degrees. It fluctuated between 65-75. Before I left on Friday, it was hitting a max of 81 playing the same level in Wolfenstein. 

To see if the GPU was having a significant effect, I moved the game over to another SSD (just a regular 2.5inch sata drive). Playing the same level, the NVMe never hit higher than 63C. 

Is the 75C temperature still too high? Seeing as this is supposed to be a drive for games, if that's too high even with a heat sink I may try to RMA it. It's too late to return it and use the money for an NVMe that doesn't get too hot. 

ahhhh yeah I think its still to high, ecxept when its on load (which while gaming its not really on load) you want the drive to mzx out at 60 C....

what GPU do you have that is outputting heat to the SSD? an FE 3080?

6 hours ago, Elad.Evron said:

ahhhh yeah I think its still to high, ecxept when its on load (which while gaming its not really on load) you want the drive to mzx out at 60 C....

what GPU do you have that is outputting heat to the SSD? an FE 3080?

I have an EVGA XC Ultra RTX 2070 Super. 

29 minutes ago, CAC1291 said:

I have an EVGA XC Ultra RTX 2070 Super. 

and all of the m.2 slots on the motherboard are below the graphics card? where it outputs the hot air?

41 minutes ago, Elad.Evron said:

and with that heat sink it still gets taht hot? 

Yes. It hits 75 max, usually sits in the mid 60s-low 70s while I'm playing a game directly off the drive. When playing games off another drive, it sits around 60-63. This is for the "drive temperature 5" reading in HWinfo; the other two sensor readings for this drive show a max of 55C. 

11 minutes ago, CAC1291 said:

Yes. It hits 75 max, usually sits in the mid 60s-low 70s while I'm playing a game directly off the drive. When playing games off another drive, it sits around 60-63. This is for the "drive temperature 5" reading in HWinfo; the other two sensor readings for this drive show a max of 55C. 

bro add fan somewhere there, those tempratures are not healthy your drive, and usually I wont stress out over stuff at that temp range but its your data, even under load most ssds shouldnt get to the high 60s (55max is fine) 

2 minutes ago, Elad.Evron said:

bro add fan somewhere there, those tempratures are not healthy your drive, and usually I wont stress out over stuff at that temp range but its your data, even under load most ssds shouldnt get to the high 60s (55max is fine) 

I appreciate your help here, but I don't think adding more fans will help. I already have two front intake fans, plus a rear exhaust fan, which is usually the best setup for a standard air-cooled Mid-ATX tower like mine. If these temperatures are really that bad, then I will just RMA the drive, although the other responses on this thread seem to suggest that it's not super clear-cut if these temps are bad. 

4 minutes ago, CAC1291 said:

I appreciate your help here, but I don't think adding more fans will help. I already have two front intake fans, plus a rear exhaust fan, which is usually the best setup for a standard air-cooled Mid-ATX tower like mine. If these temperatures are really that bad, then I will just RMA the drive, although the other responses on this thread seem to suggest that it's not super clear-cut if these temps are bad. 

well all of the components in your PC (ecxept hard drives and 2.5 inch SSDs) are designed to apporate at around 80 C, so no it wont kill your drive and it will work fine (but slower then its rated at), but longer expusre to high temps isnt the healthies thing for NAND flash, the effects of this will be shorter lifespand and slower speeds, if your not writing to much to it then youll be just fine. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello!

I was trying to find some answers online & came to this forum post. 

I have an issue with my new SSD:

• Crucial P2 SSD, NVMe, 500GB
  • new (2 days old)
  • bought Intel NUC & installed it in (together with - also Crucial's - RAM)
  • installed Win10
  • ... everything works perfectly

BUT, there's this annoying issue at cold boot of my pc. I was expecting that I'd have Win10 up and running in a few seconds, but instead of that it stops earlier with a msg:

S.M.A.R.T status bad, backup and replace. Press F1 to resume...

Than you click through that and it works perfectly. I can even do PC restart from Windows and it boots without issues.

But on cold boot, that damn error msg pops up.

Checking the disk, it works 100%.

One interesting issue; i downloaded Crucial's Storage Executive tool and it says:

Exceeded Temperature Threshold
CT500P2SSD8

Device Temperature 65532 Celsius

Yes, correct, it shows that SSD has heated up to 65k Celsius!?! And no, it's not stuck at this temp; sometimes it changes and it shows 65535 (so even a few degrees more).

No clue what I can do, as I think my SSD works ok, but some things are wrongly reporting this number.

I checked for firmware update, but it says everything is up to date.

Installed firmware is up to date.

Current firmware version P2CR010 is already installed and up to date.

crucial_p2_nvme_pcie_ssd.png

Have u tried putting some sort of cooler on it?

MAIN PC (Beast) - Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WIFI  with BIOS 4703, AMD Ryzen R9 3900XT + Corsair H115i Pro RGB XT Cooling, 32GB G.Skill 3200Mhz 16,18,18,38 1.35v DDR4, Inno3d HerculeZ Design Nvidia GTX 1080 X2 8GB GDDR5,  1 x Samsung U28E590D & 1 x Samsung U32J59XUQ 3840 x 2160 4K, 1 x Samsung Evo 970 Evo Plus NVME PCI-E 1TB, 1 x Samsung Evo 850 250GB, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB + 2 X 3TB Seagate Barracuda SATA III, 1 x LG BH16NS40 16x BR\DVDRW, ICYBOX IB3740-C31 & ICYBOX IB3640-03,  MZHOU 7 Ports PCIe USB 3.0 Card, 1 x XIAOLO 2.5G Intel I225V Ethernet Card, 2 x UGREEN Hard Drive Enclosure 3.5 inch External SATA Disk Caddy Reader USB 3.0 2.5 3.5 HDD SSD 16TB UASP Case Dock Station With 12V 2A Power Adapter For Windows with 6TB Seagate Barracuda SATA III, Corsair Obsidian 750D Wind Force Edition Case + 5 Corsair ML140 140mm Case Fans, EVGA 750 g3 750w Gold 80+ PSU, Logitech MX Vertical Mouse, Logitech MX Vertical & MX Ergo Trackball Mouse using same USB unifying device, Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard, Windows 11 Pro x64 Retail, Synology ds215j NAS + 1x3TB WD Reds connected to a 6TB Seagate USB 3.0 Backup Plus Hub, Blue Yeti Microphone, Logitech C922 Pro HD,  Logitech C920 Pro HD, Bit Defender Total Security 2021.

Second PC (Cyclops) - MSI 990FXA Gaming, AMD FX 8370 4Ghz, Corsair 16GB Vengeance Red 9-9-9-24 1600Mhz, Arctic Cooling Freezer 13, Asus Strix 1050TI 4GB, 1 X Acer 27" Full HD Monitor, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB, 1 x Samsung Evo 850 250GB, 2 X Seagate Barracuda 2TB, 1 X WD Black 2TB, 1 x ASUS 16x DVDRW, X-Case Eagle III Case, 3 X Corsair AF 120 Case Fans, EVGA 850 G2 80+ Gold + PSU, Logitech MX Master Mouse, Corsair K30 Keyboard, Logitech C920 Webcam, R0DE NT1-A Microphone, Scarlet 212 Audio Interface (Revision 2), Windows 10 Pro X64 Retail, Bit Defender Total Security 2021, 2TB Seagate Expansion USB Hard Drive.

Third PC (Old Trustie) - Acer Aspire M3400, OEM Mainboard, AMD FX Athlon II X3 425 2.7Ghz, 16GB Corsair Value 1600Mhz Ram, OEM CPU Cooler, AMD R7 260 2GB GPU, 1 X Acer 27" Full HD Monitor, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB, 2TB Samsung SATA III, 1 X OEM 16X DVDRW, 1 X Acer OEM Case, 1 X Corsair AF120 Case Can, Corsair CX500 Bronze+ CPU, Logitech MX Master Mouse, Corsair K30 Keyboard, Windows 10 Home X64 OEM, Logitech C920 Webcam, Bit Defender Total Security 2021.

Printers Include - Canon MG5750, Canon, IP8750,  Canon Pixma Mega tank G5050 & 2 X Samsung Xpress C410W.

1 X Zexrow Xbox360 Wired Game Controller.

TP Link Archer AX6000 Cable Router Wifi6 with a Virgin Media Hub 4.0 in Modem only mode running 1GB Fibre internet.

Samsung Galaxy S21+ 256GB Mobile Phone.

Internet Speed.....

https://www.speedtest.net/result/9935039193