Random freezes and fps drops in game.

Hi. steady gamer  here  with some  issues  that requires  the  brilliant minds  of  you all to help diagnose and fix. Im currently gaming on a laptop with a ryzen 7 3750h with a 1660ti max q and 16 gigs of  RAM on dual  channel, i play game such as apex  legends and dota 2  and  occasionally the Valorant. in the  last few days  ive  been getting random freezes and  fps drops which lags  the  game  for a  good 5  to 10 seconds every few  minutes. like  i will be  cruising around  in apex legends with a good 70 to 100 fps  and  suddenly im lagging with the fps  dropping down to 10 or 15 , even with the  game sound  getting distorted. same case  for  other  games too,  first i thought it might be  because  of  the  new graphics  driver from a few  days  ago and i reverted  it back to the  old  one  but that did not solve my issues and also i considered my network being unstable  and monitored it but thats  not the  issue  either. help guys 

use hwifo 64 to monitor temperatures and frequencies during gaming. see if you cpu goes past 90C or your gpu goes apst 85. most of the issues in laptops come from overheating.

other issues I've seen in laptops are from shitty software like Asus armoury crate

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

use hwifo 64 to monitor temperatures and frequencies during gaming. see if you cpu goes past 90C or your gpu goes apst 85. most of the issues in laptops come from overheating.

other issues I've seen in laptops are from shitty software like Asus armoury crate

i do have  armoury crate.

3 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

and  i have  montored  my temps and  they do tend  to be  around  those  you mentioned

2 minutes ago, dotalover said:

i do have  armoury crate.

1 minute ago, dotalover said:

and  i have  montored  my temps and  they do tend  to be  around  those  you mentioned

right, it's most likely a temperature issue. get a can of compressed air, open the laptop and try to blow with it on the fans to get as much dust out as possible. that should help with temps. another option is to get a good cooling pad to keep your laptop a bit cooler. if you manage to get the temperature down and still have freezes, it's time to start uninstalling asus crap

the 

right, it's most likely a temperature issue. get a can of compressed air, open the laptop and try to blow with it on the fans to get as much dust out as possible. that should help with temps. another option is to get a good cooling pad to keep your laptop a bit cooler. if you manage to get the temperature down and still have freezes, it's time to start uninstalling asus crap

the  laptop is  just  a  few  months old and  ive checked  the  fans  too, everything seems to be  fine  in that department

get msi afterburner and enable the overlay. that will show you temps, frequencies and utilisations in real time on your screen why gaming. make a note of what happens when the freezes happen, in order to identify whether it's the cpu or the gpu.

Just now, boggy77 said:

get msi afterburner and enable the overlay. that will show you temps, frequencies and utilisations in real time on your screen why gaming. make a note of what happens when the freezes happen, in order to identify whether it's the cpu or the gpu.

i will do that and  update 

14 minutes ago, dotalover said:

i will do that and  update 

15 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

well here are  my temps

Screenshot (74).png

ok so your gpu is overheating. you can try to undervolt it a bit from msi afterburner, if that option is available, or to increase fan speed. or to put an fps caps in games so that it doesn't stay at 100% utilisation all the time, getting it so hot.

4 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

ok so your gpu is overheating. you can try to undervolt it a bit from msi afterburner, if that option is available, or to increase fan speed. or to put an fps caps in games so that it doesn't stay at 100% utilisation all the time, getting it so hot.

im a  bit confused on how to do that

2 minutes ago, Abdullah Bhutta said:

Do they look you fine????

not really tbh xD

4 minutes ago, dotalover said:

im a  bit confused on how to do that

right so you already have afterburner installed.

if you go in settings, there should be some tickboxes that say "allow voltage control". try to tick that, save and go back to the main screen. you should now be able to move the voltage slider. try moving it to the left by a few clicks.

-> Moved to Troubleshooting

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

if you go in settings, there should be some tickboxes that say "allow voltage control". try to tick that, save and go back to the main screen. you should now be able to move the voltage slider. try moving it to the left by a few clicks.

*update : after some  testing using the overlay ive  figured  that the freezes  or drops  happen only when the cpu usage  hits 100% and  lags as  long as  its  100 or  99 or  98 

8 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

also ive  enabled  the  voltage  slider, applied and restarted  but it seems  i cannot  toggle  the  slider  still

4 minutes ago, dotalover said:

*update : after some  testing using the overlay ive  figured  that the freezes  or drops  happen only when the cpu usage  hits 100% and  lags as  long as  its  100 or  99 or  98 

right, then it seems it's a cpu issue after all.

install ryzen master and see if you can tweak voltages for the cpu in there

ryzen master  is  not supported  for  mobile  cpus  sad kek

24 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

it will raise the temps

update: ive  narrowed  down the  cause  and effect completely. so every once  in  a while  in game  my cpu utilization spikes from 60 70% to 100% and  my clock speed  goes down from 3.6Ghz to 400Mhz and  thats how  the  fps  drops and  lags occur. so now  i wanna  figure  how to prevent that. any help?

Just now, dotalover said:

update: ive  narrowed  down the  cause  and effect completely. so every once  in  a while  in game  my cpu utilization spikes from 60 70% to 100% and  my clock speed  goes down from 3.6Ghz to 400Mhz and  thats how  the  fps  drops and  lags occur. so now  i wanna  figure  how to prevent that. any help?

are there any other applications in the background that might increase cpu utilisation? like an antivirus or something?

does this happen in just one game or others as well?

Just now, boggy77 said:

are there any other applications in the background that might increase cpu utilisation? like an antivirus or something?

does this happen in just one game or others as well?

no, the  only thing that runs are the  game, msi afterburner and  sometimes  discord

5 minutes ago, dotalover said:

my cpu utilization spikes from 60 70% to 100% and  my clock speed  goes down from 3.6Ghz to 400Mhz and  thats how  the  fps  drops and  lags occur.

it might be the other way around. the cpu hits the thermal limit (90 or 95), and drops frequency and voltage to cool itself, giving raise to an increase in utilsation.

it might be the other way around. the cpu hits the thermal limit (90 or 95), and drops frequency and voltage to cool itself, giving raise to an increase in utilsation.

that might be the case too but also, sometimes  it happens at 90 degrees and  somtimes  itll hit 100 and itll be  all fine for 10 mins or  so at that temp