odyssey g7 doesn't look as good as my old monitor

spartaman64

I got a odyssey g7 today and compared to my old lg 27gl650f it doesn't seem to get as bright and its not as vibrant. Am I doing something wrong?

I have brightness at 100 and i tried contrast at default (75) and at 100. Color is all 50.

There's a couple tweaks you'll need to do in your display settings. 

In Windows display - turning on hdr, then tune the scene(an option in the same window) to look good to your eyes. 

Nvidia control panel - change resolution section - use 10bit colour and colour range to full (or limited if you like that more) 

Those should get you on the right track for better image vibrance. Other things to check are in display settings turning off anything to do with "motion" 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

42 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

I got a odyssey g7 today and compared to my old lg 27gl650f it doesn't seem to get as bright and its not as vibrant. Am I doing something wrong?

I have brightness at 100 and i tried contrast at default (75) and at 100. Color is all 50.

VA panels have way higher contrast ratios with deeper blacks which can make them look "darker" in comparison to an IPS panel. Also you should keep in mind that it's a 10bit panel but you can't use it @1440p 240hz 10 bit without an RTX gpu that supports the new signal compression. If you're running a 1070ti as stated in your bio that probably means that the panel is running at 8 bits which is not "native" for it and might be somehow screwing with the color profile

Ada is worse than Ampere which is worse than Fermi, change my mind.

System:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS X570 TUF
  • RAM
    2X16GB Kingston Fury 3200mhz
  • GPU
    Gigabyte RTX 4080 Super Gaming OC
  • Case
    Fractal Torrent
  • Storage
    A lot of SSDs
  • PSU
    Seasonic 1000W Platinum
  • Display(s)
    Main: ASUS PG27AQDM 240hz 1440p WOLED
    Secondary: Alienware AW2521HF 1080p 240hz
    Third: Samsung C34F791 UltraWide 1440p 100hz
    Fourth: LG 48' C2 OLED TV
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
  • Keyboard
    Ducky Shine 7
  • Mouse
    GPX Superlight
  • Sound
    Logitech Z906 / Sennheiser 560s / Rode NT-USB
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, Tanaz said:

VA panels have way higher contrast ratios with deeper blacks which can make them look "darker" in comparison to an IPS panel. Also you should keep in mind that it's a 10bit panel but you can't use it @1440p 240hz 10 bit without an RTX gpu that supports the new signal compression. If you're running a 1070ti as stated in your bio that probably means that the panel is running at 8 bits which is not "native" for it and might be somehow screwing with the color profile

sorry i forgot to update that I have a rtx 3080 now

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

sorry i forgot to update that I have a rtx 3080 now

Can you check in display settings if it's running @ 10bits? I gotta say as a fellow owner of a Samsung VA monitor there's a reason why their monitors come at such a good price compared to IPS competitors. While the contrast is good there is just something about VA that makes it look "washed out" in a way and not as colorful. I was going to buy the G7 a few weeks back but I changed my mind because of the insane curve that distorts the image a lot and because of the VA panel's contrast which makes FPS games hard to play cuz you're unable to see people in dark places without cranking the dark equalizer all the way. Also as a last resort you can maybe take a picture of it (yes I know it won't help much) but I just want to at least try and see how it looks like and maybe judge whether or not its a defective panel.

System:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS X570 TUF
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Fractal Torrent
  • Storage
    A lot of SSDs
  • PSU
    Seasonic 1000W Platinum
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
  • Keyboard
    Ducky Shine 7
  • Mouse
    GPX Superlight
  • Sound
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 Pro

3 minutes ago, Tanaz said:

Can you check in display settings if it's running @ 10bits? I gotta say as a fellow owner of a Samsung VA monitor there's a reason why their monitors come at such a good price compared to IPS competitors. While the contrast is good there is just something about VA that makes it look "washed out" in a way and not as colorful. I was going to buy the G7 a few weeks back but I changed my mind because of the insane curve that distorts the image a lot and because of the VA panel's contrast which makes FPS games hard to play cuz you're unable to see people in dark places without cranking the dark equalizer all the way. Also as a last resort you can maybe take a picture of it (yes I know it won't help much) but I just want to at least try and see how it looks like and maybe judge whether or not its a defective panel.

yes its running at 10 bits

image.png.d0d493c9dcf8ee0ddc6f3dbcd30c9fd3.png

Just now, spartaman64 said:

yes its running at 10 bits

Watch a youtube video with the monitor and compare it to yours. I know it's hard to gage via video but at least if it's a drastic difference you'd be able to tell that yours is defective. If it's not defective and you don't like it and can still return it I would get the LG 27GL850 instead. It's 144hz not 240hz but it's probably the best gaming 1440p monitor out right now.

System:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS X570 TUF
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Fractal Torrent
  • Storage
    A lot of SSDs
  • PSU
    Seasonic 1000W Platinum
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
  • Keyboard
    Ducky Shine 7
  • Mouse
    GPX Superlight
  • Sound
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 Pro

I don't know much about monitors, but I did read somewhere that Samsung is facing a class action lawsuit over the Odyssey monitors. Something about backlight bleed or other. Not sure if any of the issues stated in the lawsuit could be related to yours.

On 10/13/2020 at 9:39 PM, Tanaz said:

Watch a youtube video with the monitor and compare it to yours. I know it's hard to gage via video but at least if it's a drastic difference you'd be able to tell that yours is defective. If it's not defective and you don't like it and can still return it I would get the LG 27GL850 instead. It's 144hz not 240hz but it's probably the best gaming 1440p monitor out right now.

v-_561wFWUQDzdv6uTcTrR_aaLpJZcHczG6uQXmcHSLeMf0xey2kEdU3XEQ_JUCwK-fTzZMCYGeolefQ_nWSVHARFAn56wqa5v2SmQq-UvyqfCFgn-RC5a5nYYjzQgtu9Zwv_FnCfZmA5_KUsVYCMErvrPqOrz2D8pIEgsI42Ok6xQxYS1cr9wGH0URWQmBUyXSVjA29rHC_8ctOc1FteXwbp4yDhAWLcIzEMnwR5UfqfVWYP6YDN4KFmVD7TPRc2gaUecJFQmS8Sds-MygaSFspsif8BuHmvQgmeOQkxj_5lvfHZMDIS0etWTjNHX2galJ6DqWAlx8KiS-xRWmeNk01M8ufFvwM3IMvWf5cZoukvIwZAbUtEdcm8c2dsDo0DE-tdzsbWUz1cSOMlotcBSA-rZsauGy-x3yqPvc3OaQP68MbsRj0gxN6BsjWapnaDc29TZ9pbVf3wAatFdPgz7F2f_2f0wD1vtY3KFIgwPoCJHmZK4DTBI26L0oNmeRJeIsJD2Nq5ZX5GEEHlQ4MFDpbyXSEwsooCKIZ3oSVwmL54D5RIKPCjLlVwAocYMfmBTNbI-xf3Z5yxLfH5lyuRd11LEn-PYruu9FS_R4Xj41Y9Twqaff-NTKQK6E4Cno5nYKQ_y2r_6x6ruCrnnEWv6lTwSgmrOl6nszUMnCVQI3cmyzTTVmAp1W9-bAl5Q=w1306-h979-no?authuser=0

one thing i noticed is that the white on the samsung monitor is sort of yellowish. (samsung g7 on the left lg 27gl650 on the right)

3 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

v-_561wFWUQDzdv6uTcTrR_aaLpJZcHczG6uQXmcHSLeMf0xey2kEdU3XEQ_JUCwK-fTzZMCYGeolefQ_nWSVHARFAn56wqa5v2SmQq-UvyqfCFgn-RC5a5nYYjzQgtu9Zwv_FnCfZmA5_KUsVYCMErvrPqOrz2D8pIEgsI42Ok6xQxYS1cr9wGH0URWQmBUyXSVjA29rHC_8ctOc1FteXwbp4yDhAWLcIzEMnwR5UfqfVWYP6YDN4KFmVD7TPRc2gaUecJFQmS8Sds-MygaSFspsif8BuHmvQgmeOQkxj_5lvfHZMDIS0etWTjNHX2galJ6DqWAlx8KiS-xRWmeNk01M8ufFvwM3IMvWf5cZoukvIwZAbUtEdcm8c2dsDo0DE-tdzsbWUz1cSOMlotcBSA-rZsauGy-x3yqPvc3OaQP68MbsRj0gxN6BsjWapnaDc29TZ9pbVf3wAatFdPgz7F2f_2f0wD1vtY3KFIgwPoCJHmZK4DTBI26L0oNmeRJeIsJD2Nq5ZX5GEEHlQ4MFDpbyXSEwsooCKIZ3oSVwmL54D5RIKPCjLlVwAocYMfmBTNbI-xf3Z5yxLfH5lyuRd11LEn-PYruu9FS_R4Xj41Y9Twqaff-NTKQK6E4Cno5nYKQ_y2r_6x6ruCrnnEWv6lTwSgmrOl6nszUMnCVQI3cmyzTTVmAp1W9-bAl5Q=w1306-h979-no?authuser=0

one thing i noticed is that the white on the samsung monitor is sort of yellowish. (samsung g7 on the left lg 27gl650 on the right)

That's VA for ya. As I said if you don't like it go with the LG. I personally don't  mind how VA panels look but then again I use one as a secondary monitor and not as a primary. IDK how I would feel about gaming on it.

System:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS X570 TUF
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Fractal Torrent
  • Storage
    A lot of SSDs
  • PSU
    Seasonic 1000W Platinum
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
  • Keyboard
    Ducky Shine 7
  • Mouse
    GPX Superlight
  • Sound
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 Pro

On 10/14/2020 at 4:43 AM, spartaman64 said:

So the LG  27gl650f you had is HDR 1000 and the G7 is HDR 600 so the G7 will be dimmer. but the G7 is calibrated really good in the factory usually, unlike most gaming monitors who have the stauration cracked way way up. but if you want to make sure its calibrated good take a piece of paper and put it agaist a full white screen and see the difference 

4 hours ago, Elad.Evron said:

So the LG  27gl650f you had is HDR 1000 and the G7 is HDR 600 so the G7 will be dimmer. but the G7 is calibrated really good in the factory usually, unlike most gaming monitors who have the stauration cracked way way up. but if you want to make sure its calibrated good take a piece of paper and put it agaist a full white screen and see the difference 

idk in reviews it says the 27gl650f has a peak brightness of 350 nits and the g7 has a peak brightness of 600 nits

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

idk in reviews it says the 27gl650f has a peak brightness of 350 nits and the g7 has a peak brightness of 600 nits

did you check the brightness setting in the OSD? (like the bottums on the screen) 

2 hours ago, Elad.Evron said:

did you check the brightness setting in the OSD? (like the bottums on the screen) 

yep i set the brightness to 100

6 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

yep i set the brightness to 100

Then if its really important to you then contact samsung and ask them about it 

12 hours ago, Elad.Evron said:

Then if its really important to you then contact samsung and ask them about it 

20 hours ago, Tanaz said:

That's VA for ya. As I said if you don't like it go with the LG. I personally don't  mind how VA panels look but then again I use one as a secondary monitor and not as a primary. IDK how I would feel about gaming on it.

i think i figured it out. i set it to 144hz and it got significantly brighter though i think my lg monitor might still be a bit brighter. 

but thats sort of shitty its advertised as a 240hz monitor and it didnt say anywhere that it would make the display dimmer

i think ill be returning it

i have the g7 and i can confirm whites don't look yellowish like in that picture on my panel, and dropping the refresh rate does not change the brightness. it's possible you got a defective one? is motion blur reduction turned on?

8 hours ago, rmgdnz said:

i have the g7 and i can confirm whites don't look yellowish like in that picture on my panel, and dropping the refresh rate does not change the brightness. it's possible you got a defective one? is motion blur reduction turned on?

i tried basically all the settings at this point. maybe its a defective one but what sort of defect would cause this

• 3 months later...