NEED HELP ON UPGRADING PARTS PLS

Go to solution Solved by LsHallo,

If I were you I would do the following:

Upgrade my gpu to the 3070 when it launches and becomes available (might be after christmas) or look for a used 2080 Ti for <$449. (I would suggest not paying more than 449 for a 2080Ti since you get a card without warranty and slightly less performance as we know now than the 3070 so it should be cheaper than a 3070)

If you are still struggling with your goals I would then upgrade the processor and mainboard aswell. Would suggest a Ryzen 7 5800X + a B550 board.

In the process of installing the quite power hungry 3070 you might need to upgrade your power supply. I don't know what you currently have so this is just a precaution.

Here is a breakdown of your budget and new and old parts:

image.png.9033e6b138ac749dc8a2d52160ca508e.png

You can keep your RAM since it is 3200MHz which is not the fastest for ryzen but considered adequate und quite reasonable price to performance. BUT you have to make sure it is actually running at 3200MHz. Currently your super fast 3200MHz ram is running at 2400MHz since your mainboard ist not configured correctly!

Also I forgot in my calculation that you will need a CPU cooler since the 5800X does not come with one. So add about 30-40 bucks for that.

To sum up the upgrades:

RTX 2060 > RTX 3070 (2080Ti) | Performance ~+52% (Took the performance of a 2080 Ti as comparison)

i7 8700 > R7 5800X | Performance: From 6 to 8 cores. Percent improvement difficult to do atm since the 5800X is not released

The rest of the parts are just to make everything compatible so no performance improvement there.

Additionally for this thread and the success of your upgrade it would be really helpful if you link your system at the retailer where you got it or take pictures of the inside especially the power supply and it's sticker.

Also you should make sure the 3070 fits into your case. It's quite a long card.

Also I would highly recommend you read up on hardware encoding with nvenc. It will probably help you if you are not using it atm. That's why I asked for your OBS settings.

I'm running a gaming PC with an RTX 2060 and an i7 8700 but I'm looking to upgrade soon budget is close to $500 ±100

I have no idea about other specs that you're required to know before upgrading but any and all help is appreciated with this thanks

Well, first of all:
Give us a full hardware list, not only GPU and CPU.

Second: What exactly do you want to upgrade to? What are your requirements? Why and for what reason to you think you need an upgrade?

Remember: If you want me to see your reply - Quote me!

If your question has been solved, please mark the thread as solved by choosing the answer that has helped you the most as the correct/solving one.

Please also use appropriate titles. Titles should be a short description of your situation to get people interested in looking at your thread. Titles such as "help" or "i have a problem" (etc.) will only lead to you getting less to zero help, cause people won't be able to tell what this thread is about and therefore don't bother looking into it.

imo its  a good pc why do you want to upgrade?

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

4 minutes ago, Abdulous said:

RTX 2060 and an i7 8700

seems pretty balanced. is this a gaming pc? what's the reason for upgrade? do you need more fps in games, or something else? what resolution and refresh rate is your monitor?

Just now, mahyar said:

imo its  a good pc why do you want to upgrade?

Well main game I play/record/stream is modern warfare, I have to drop all of my graphics settings to the lowest possible to play at an average 100 FPS and with the new black ops coming out I wanna be able to play close to 120FPS without having to drop literally all the graphics settings to 0 as it won't look good when recording or streaming to YouTube.

I also have to drop my OBS settings so the recording comes out smoothly, and the game and/or OBS doesn't crash

what is your mobo?

7 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

seems pretty balanced. is this a gaming pc? what's the reason for upgrade? do you need more fps in games, or something else? what resolution and refresh rate is your monitor?

It's a gaming PC built specifically just for that + streaming and/or recording

I wanna be able to play the game with better graphics settings because right now I gotta put the settings all at almost 0 which doesn't look good in recordings or while streaming. I'm forced to always use lower recording settings on OBS and in game which doesn't help when you want smooth gameplay footage. My monitor is capable of 144 FPS I also got 16GB RAM 1TB HDD and 500GB SSD if that helps I pretty much know close to nothing about specs sorry

4 minutes ago, mahyar said:

what is your mobo?

My what sorry?

Just now, Abdulous said:

My what sorry?

short for motherboard :) 

You could download CPU-Z: https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
And please screenshot every tab in that program (except for bench and about).

Like so:

Spoiler

image.png.bc57896001d83c6302e99ebaf6d5246c.png

That would help everybody in here.

Also it would help to know if your system was bought complete as one unit and where it was bought (walmart, microcenter, mifcom, maingear). Super helpful would be a link to your system where you bought it!

This will help us determine if you need a new power supply to go with a 3070 upgrade.

If you don't like CPU-Z for whatever reason go with HWINFO64 and screenshot the main overview page: https://www.fosshub.com/HWiNFO.html?dwl=hwi_632.exe

Should look like this:

Spoiler

image.png.20442ae2d4aa28f0b6268914376d42d5.png

Also what are you using to record the game?

What encoder are you using e.g. in OBS?

You can see your encoder here:

Spoiler

image.png.e151a74d29b8d5032a27ee88d2fee309.png

While you're at it please open the windows task manager (in case you don't know how to do that: right click your taskbar and select "task manager"). Leave it open in the background.
Then go into CoD and record with OBS like you normally would for about 3-5min. Then stop the recording and exit the game as quickly as you can and return to the still open taskmanager and screenshot the CPU and GPU sections in the performance tab.

Should look like this (mine is german, sorry):

Spoiler

image.png.ef13801a1ea55017426bb6ca0c068495.pngimage.png.9c1142490ed7d58d550ea02568196818.png

PC: R5 3600X | GTX 1070 | 16GB 3733MHz | Aorus X570 Elite | Corsair Air 540

Laptop: R7 4800H | RTX 2060 | 16GB 3200MHz

Server: R5 1600AF | 16GB 3200MHz | Aorus B450 M | 5 x 8TB RaidZ2 @ LSI 9211-8i

2 minutes ago, LsHallo said:

You could download CPU-Z: https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
And please screenshot every tab in that program (except for bench and about).

Like so:

image.png.bc57896001d83c6302e99ebaf6d5246c.png

That would help everybody in here.

Also it would help to know if your system was bought complete as one unit and where it was bought (walmart, microcenter, mifcom, maingear).

This will help us determine if you need a new power supply to go with a 3070 upgrade.

I'm currently on my phone as soon as I get on my pc I'll post it

If you want to record, stream and play at the same time. You might benefit from getting a Ryzen CPU, like a Ryzen 3700x.

Intel CPUs are (were) great for gaming due to their single core IPC being higher than Ryzen (not anymore if we are to believe AMD on Ryzen 5000). But they aren't perfect as far as workload that needs multiple threads, like streaming + gaming at the same time, resulting in a major loss of fps.

That said, the frame rate you get in some games, also depends on the game. On how well optimized they are. The CoD series is not exactly well known for being extremely well optimized on PC.

Honestly, your budget is not enough to upgrade to Ryzen. You would need to change the CPU, the Motherboard, maybe the RAM if you're using low speed RAM since Ryzen benefits a lot from fast RAM. So unless you sell your current parts and use that extra budget, it wouldn't be possible (and you wouldn't have a PC during that time, either).

As such, the most you can do within your budget, is sell your 2060 and buy a 3070 when its released... If you can manage to snatch one. You might be able to do so by Christmas time.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

48 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

As such, the most you can do within your budget, is sell your 2060 and buy a 3070 when its released... If you can manage to snatch one. You might be able to do so by Christmas time

Considering his budget of 500 bucks, that would be just enough for the GPU. But there still is the possibility of him needing a PSU upgrade then as well.

If your question has been solved, please mark the thread as solved by choosing the answer that has helped you the most as the correct/solving one.

Please also use appropriate titles. Titles should be a short description of your situation to get people interested in looking at your thread. Titles such as "help" or "i have a problem" (etc.) will only lead to you getting less to zero help, cause people won't be able to tell what this thread is about and therefore don't bother looking into it.

7 minutes ago, JayBe said:

But there still is the possibility of him needing a PSU upgrade then as well.

Selling the 2060 should cover a new PSU

8 minutes ago, LsHallo said:

Selling the 2060 should cover a new PSU

if he gets to sell it tho. And that would also mean no pc for the time being.

3 minutes ago, JayBe said:

if he gets to sell it tho. And that would also mean no pc for the time being.

Well he could sell it after buying the 3070 and a new PSU assuming of course he can live with going over the budget for a few weeks. We don't know but that's what I would do in that case. And selling a 2060 should not be a problem. But we don't know what he is doing to record his gameplay etc. and he is also asking very much >100fps for as little budget as possible which is no easy task in that game. He might be helped by using nvenc instead of cpu encoding, but we don't have enough information to decide on that yet.

Increase your memory to 32GB and get the 3070 when they are out. While you could benefit from a CPU with a high Core/Thread count, like the others said, that will cost you more then ~$500.

1 hour ago, whm1974 said:

Increase your memory to 32GB

I don't think increasing memory will help much if any. And I don't think he needs to upgraded to 12 cores or something to achieve his goal. Switching OBS to nvenc hardware encoding and getting a 3070 should be sufficient.

2 minutes ago, LsHallo said:

I don't think increasing memory will help much if any. And I don't think he needs to upgraded to 12 cores or something to achieve his goal. Switching OBS to nvenc hardware encoding and getting a 3070 should be sufficient.

Well a lot of recent games do recommend 16GB of RAM, so surely having 32GB will give him some benefits if he is running other software in addiction to whatever game he playing and Streaming.

1 minute ago, Teddy07 said:

please stop spamming all caps

Who is Spamming?

6 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Well a lot of recent games do recommend 16GB of RAM, so surely having 32GB will give him some benefits if he is running other software in addiction to whatever game he playing and Streaming.

Don't know about that. Have one game in my >200 game library that I know uses about 12GB of ram and could be a problem when having chrome open and OBS at the same time, but it would still fit. Right now having chrome open with 18 tabs, OBS open and recording a game I'm at 11,5GB memory usage. I don't think it will exceed 16 very often and it would just go to waste.