I'm getting less performance than I should be getting on my gaming laptop.

Go to solution Solved by AbhinayK,

Update: Problem solved by repasting. The factory thermal paste application LITERALLY DIDN'T COVER HALF THE GPU. Once i repasted i got a WHOPPING 20 degrees decrease in temprature. I also undervolted by 125mV and undervolted my GPU just to stay safe to 1300Mhz across all voltages.

Okay so i have an HP omen 15 (2019) model with i7-9750H and a Rtx 2070 max q with 16 gb ram.

I've been trying to play games recently like The division and Mortal Shell. At the start of the game i get good fps but then it goes down to 20-30 at times.

I am using throttlestop to undervolt my cpu by 125mV in cache and in core, to help with the temps.

Someone on reddit suggested i run a cinebench test which i did and i got 1548 in Multi core and 267 in Single core. What i should be getting is 2400+ and 440+.

I also took a log file of my cpu with throttlestop when i was gaming and as the temperature rose my game's fps dropped. What's weird is that temperature never reached alarming levels of hot.

Log file: https://pastebin.com/dT6veF7g

I need serious help cuz this is my work laptop and i can't afford performance drops like these.

1 minute ago, AbhinayK said:

Okay so i have an HP omen 15 (2019) model with i7-9750H and a Rtx 2070 max q with 16 gb ram.

I've been trying to play games recently like The division and Mortal Shell. At the start of the game i get good fps but then it goes down to 20-30 at times.

Is the laptop plugged into wall power when you're gaming on it, or are you running off the battery?

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

4 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Is the laptop plugged into wall power when you're gaming on it, or are you running off the battery?

Plugged in. At all times.

What are the temps?

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

could be due to many reasons...call HP for warranty

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

3 minutes ago, Smit Devrukhkar said:

What are the temps?

You can check the temps in the log file. The log file was created while playing mortal shell. It starts at 53 then goes upto 90 degree Celsius 

Just now, genexis_x said:

could be due to many reasons...call HP for warranty

That's the thing, my warranty expired.

18 minutes ago, AbhinayK said:

You can check the temps in the log file. The log file was created while playing mortal shell. It starts at 53 then goes upto 90 degree Celsius 

Well 90 degrees is hot enough for thermal throttling. After checking the log file its clear that you are thermal throttling. You can try undervolting with throttlestop and repasting the CPU and GPU.

The easiest way that i have found for a quick undervolt is opening throttlestop.

Click FIVR, then click CPU core and then unlock adjustable voltage. Leave it on adaptive and put Offset voltage to  -125 repeat the same steps with CPU cache and see if the performance improves.

If it does than we can move on to more strong steps if not then there is a different issue altogether. Also send a log file of the game after undervolting.

Edited by Smit Devrukhkar
YAY 700TH POST

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

Just now, Smit Devrukhkar said:

Well 90 degrees is hot enough for thermal throttling. After checking the log file its clear that you are thermal throttling. You can try undervolting with throttlestop and repasting the CPU and GPU.

The easiest way that i have found for a quick undervolt is opening throttlestop.

Click FIVR, then click CPU core and then unlock adjustable voltage. Leave it on adaptive and put Offset voltage to  -125 repeat the same steps with CPU cache and see if the performance improves.

If it does than we can move on to more strong steps if not then there is a different issue altogether. Also send a log file of the game after undervolting.

it's already undervolted via throttlestop. I put that in the body of my post. I have undervolted it by -125mV in cache and in core. Btw i had speedshift turned on for some reason, so i turned it off and i got a lil performance boost. My cinebench score went from 1500 to 1700. But that's it.

1 minute ago, AbhinayK said:

it's already undervolted via throttlestop. I put that in the body of my post. I have undervolted it by -125mV in cache and in core. Btw i had speedshift turned on for some reason, so i turned it off and i got a lil performance boost. My cinebench score went from 1500 to 1700. But that's it.

Ok then its definitely a thermal problem. Open up the system and clean out the fan along with repasting with a good paste such as MX-4 or NT-H1.

Desktop :

Laptop :

Just now, Smit Devrukhkar said:

Ok then its definitely a thermal problem. Open up the system and clean out the fan along with repasting with a good paste such as MX-4 or NT-H1.

Idk if i should be repasting it myself tho. I mean i haven't really done it before ever. I will clean the fan tho. and see what else i can do. Which is the best thermal paste tho? Cuz in hp omen the cooling is sub-par its not good. Idc about the price even if its too costly.

Just now, AbhinayK said:

Which is the best thermal paste tho?

The best thermal paste would be Thermal Grizzly conductanot but that may damage your system as it is a liquid metal. I would go with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut because it is a very high quality paste and i personally have it in my laptop.

2 minutes ago, AbhinayK said:

Idk if i should be repasting it myself tho. I mean i haven't really done it before ever

That is fine. Its very easy to do. Just watch a YouTube video if you don't trust yourself to not make a mistake.

Desktop :

Laptop :

13 minutes ago, Smit Devrukhkar said:

The best thermal paste would be Thermal Grizzly conductanot but that may damage your system as it is a liquid metal. I would go with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut because it is a very high quality paste and i personally have it in my laptop.

That is fine. Its very easy to do. Just watch a YouTube video if you don't trust yourself to not make a mistake.

Okay i will go with kryonaut cuz i dont wanna take risks cuz i dont have any warranty on this thing.

Btw i tweaked a few things in throttlestop and my cinebench score went to 1855. So that's something.

6 minutes ago, AbhinayK said:

Btw i tweaked a few things in throttlestop and my cinebench score went to 1855. So that's something.

Mind showing your throttlestop? from main page to FIVR, TPL

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

1 hour ago, genexis_x said:

Mind showing your throttlestop? from main page to FIVR, TPL

image.png.a38fbfd5be7060ce74fd7556a7db7e8f.pngimage.thumb.png.b8431b993bfe11457ae5b361051e613f.pngimage.thumb.png.f346c7afeedceca678f0bdfcee30584a.pngimage.png.6d88abff84af4dbbb9829f86125e63a0.png

Update: So i tweaked around throttlestop and turned off "Disable turbo" which gave a MASSIVE performance boost and my cinebench went to 2300. The downside is that that also screwed up my temps making them as high as 100 degree celsius. So that's that.

Idk if there is a way where i can have a good speed and low temps, or atleast acceptable temps. If someone has any clue of how, please lemme know.

iGPU undervolted too much

disable speedshift

untick disable turbo

untick BD PROCHOT

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

Do you have Omen Command Center? What are the current thermal settings?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

21 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

iGPU undervolted too much

disable speedshift

untick disable turbo

untick BD PROCHOT

I did that and i got a whopping 2500 score in cinebench. Much higher than what my cpu should get. The downside of that was my temperature never went below 97 degrees celsius and max was a 100 degrees.

21 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

Do you have Omen Command Center? What are the current thermal settings?

fan speed is at max.

Also im pretty sure my fps drop is because of my gpu temp, which was also 90 degrees. So idk how to fix that.

I lowered my laptop temps by 20c by repasting and getting a laptop cooler.

I also mamaged a 175mv undervolt on my cpu. 

It's a msi laptop with a 6700HQ and 1060 6 gb.

I am able to use any custom fans with my laptop cooler, so i put 2x Noctua 140 mm fans on it and used window sealer-strips to make sure all the air is pushed through the laptop. Im at work now, can send details later if you want. 

Works like a charm. It's cooler, much quiter and performs better.  Downside is that the full setup isnt mobile, but i used my laptop as a desktop replacement anyways. 

Update: Problem solved by repasting. The factory thermal paste application LITERALLY DIDN'T COVER HALF THE GPU. Once i repasted i got a WHOPPING 20 degrees decrease in temprature. I also undervolted by 125mV and undervolted my GPU just to stay safe to 1300Mhz across all voltages.