How to buy a bluetooth dongle? Does brand really matter?

Newblesse Obblige

Im planning to buy a BT dongle for my PC so I can use our extra PS4 controller laying around and use the BT function of my keyboard. 

Does it really matter if buy a no brand dongle? will it have latency issues? does the BT version matter?

Brand does matter.

Many of the cheaper dongles that advertise being "BT 5.0" are not even Bluetooth 5.0 (if you don't read the description properly, you get fucked on that one, deceptive title and pictures), they are either 4.0 or 4.1, they prey on unsuspecting people who may not check their devices properly.

Now, BT 4.0 is ok. BT 5.0 devices will likely still connect to it just fine. But, you know... Less range and still a fucking scam.

Basically avoid anything under $10...

Other than that, for things like latency or whatever, I don't think it really does.

There's this one from Asus, bit pricy, but at least you're sure it really is BT5.0 since they got a reputation to stand behind.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Don't waste your time on garbage dongles. Same thing goes with wireless mice and their dongles, you don't want to get a cheap one because most likely you will notice issues with it.

I am not an expert! I have had experience building computers but in no way am I Linus! Please correct me if I am wrong, I would love to here your feedback!

Have a good day!

6 hours ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

The BT version matters, but if you only connect game controllers and other devices then any of version 3.0 or better.
If the intention is to transfer good quality audio then any of version 3.0 or better but APT-X supported.
Asus makes good BT dongels, but there are others like TP-Link, DeLock, Targus. If you ask me then Asus

https://www.asus.com/Networking/USBBT400/overview/

https://www.asus.com/Networking/USB-BT500/

6 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Brand does matter.

Many of the cheaper dongles that advertise being "BT 5.0" are not even Bluetooth 5.0 (if you don't read the description properly, you get fucked on that one, deceptive title and pictures), they are either 4.0 or 4.1, they prey on unsuspecting people who may not check their devices properly.

Now, BT 4.0 is ok. BT 5.0 devices will likely still connect to it just fine. But, you know... Less range and still a fucking scam.

Basically avoid anything under $10...

Other than that, for things like latency or whatever, I don't think it really does.

There's this one from Asus, bit pricy, but at least you're sure it really is BT5.0 since they got a reputation to stand behind.

is the latency inherently on every BT dongles(either generic or branded)?