8 outlet extension?

Kanna

So I live in Europe and have a lot of stuff where my Tv is located 8 peripherals to be precise and I'm wondering would it be safe to have so many cords to one extension?

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

5 minutes ago, Kanna said:

So I live in Europe and have a lot of stuff where my Tv is located 8 peripherals to be precise and I'm wondering would it be safe to have so many cords to one extension?

Probably, but it depends what the peripherals are. 

Depends on the power draw of them. If they don't exceed to maximum power draw that a single socket can output, you'll be fine. 

Not sure on where you live, but in the UK it's around 3000W on a single outlet I believe. I imagine it's similar for most of Europe that uses 220-250V. 

Given it's near the TV those are probably low power devices so there's no risk of overloading. 

6 minutes ago, akio123008 said:

Given it's near the TV those are probably low power devices so there's no risk of overloading. 

It’s an xbox one, Wii U, Xbox 360, Nintendo switch, home theatre system including sub, and the TV ofc

9 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

- - snip - -

Reminder⚠️

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

2 minutes ago, Kanna said:

It’s an xbox one, Wii U, Xbox 360, Nintendo switch, home theatre system including sub, and the TV ofc

I mean, assuming you're not running all at full whack at once, you'll be fine. 

If you're able to move something to another outlet, I'd suggest moving the home theatre system out of all of those to balance it a bit. 

The number of outlets doesn't matter, it's the total power consumption of the devices that matters.

Most power strips will be rated for around 10-16A, so at least around 220...230v x 10A = 2200 watts.

Your TV consumes around 60-100w depending on brighness and volume, our wii u maybe 100-200w, the xbox maybe 150-200w , the home theather system maybe 50-100w depending on volume, set top box maybe 20-40w etc etc

You probably won't use wii u and xbox at same time, so I doubt you're gonna use more than 1000w at any point, so as long as the extension cord is a quality one, you will be fine and safe.

4 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

I mean, assuming you're not running all at full whack at once, you'll be fine. 

If you're able to move something to another outlet, I'd suggest moving the home theatre system out of all of those to balance it a bit. 

I could maybe keep like I have now I may have to switch plugs in the extension sometimes but it isn’t a big loss

Reminder⚠️

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

The number of outlets doesn't matter, it's the total power consumption of the devices that matters.

Most power strips will be rated for around 10-16A, so at least around 220...230v x 10A = 2200 watts.

Your TV consumes around 60-100w depending on brighness and volume, our wii u maybe 100-200w, the xbox maybe 150-200w , the home theather system maybe 50-100w depending on volume, set top box maybe 20-40w etc etc

You probably won't use wii u and xbox at same time, so I doubt you're gonna use more than 1000w at any point, so as long as the extension cord is a quality one, you will be fine and safe.

How can I know it’s a quality one?

Reminder⚠️

You should be able to just plug another extension cord into your current extension cord, and then just leave the extra spaces free for future expansion. :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Just now, TomvanWijnen said:

You should be able to just plug another extension cord into your current extension cord, and then just leave the extra spaces free for future expansion. :)

I feel like extensions in extensions wouldn’t be a good idea

Reminder⚠️

1 minute ago, Kanna said:

If anywhere on it it says "2200W max" or "10A" (or more) you'll be fine. 

12 minutes ago, Kanna said:

Those are not very power hungry devices. Power draw would be more of a concern with heavy machinery connected (eg power tools, vacuum cleaners, washing machines etc)

9 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

I'd go for the Xbox actually. Home theatre systems don't consume as much power as you'd think.

Just now, Kanna said:

It wouldn't, if you're drawing lots of power. Otherwise, you can do it, but in this case the concern wasn't a lack of outlets so I don't think it's necessary.

2 minutes ago, Kanna said:

Thick wires, proper label or current rating printed on the power strip, certification labels on the power cord, current and temperature rating and wire diameter printed on the cable... good looking contacts in the outlets (if they're quite thin and wobble it's probably shit)

I typically also try to avoid the power strips that are friction welded (no screws or anything to hold the two pieces together, in theory a cheap manufacturer will try to save money from everywhere so he would save on screws or nuts as well, choosing to friction weld the plastic.... but nowadays, it's not a good quality indicator, there's some decent brands that prefer this to make them not "user serviceable"

6 minutes ago, akio123008 said:

If anywhere on it it says "2200W max" or "10A" (or more) you'll be fine. 

Those are not very power hungry devices. Power draw would be more of a concern with heavy machinery connected (eg power tools, vacuum cleaners, washing machines etc)

I'd go for the Xbox actually. Home theatre systems don't consume as much power as you'd think.

The xboxes is what I use the most so I think the Wii U will have to go

Reminder⚠️

6 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Thick wires, proper label or current rating printed on the power strip, certification labels on the power cord, current and temperature rating and wire diameter printed on the cable... good looking contacts in the outlets (if they're quite thin and wobble it's probably shit)

I typically also try to avoid the power strips that are friction welded (no screws or anything to hold the two pieces together, in theory a cheap manufacturer will try to save money from everywhere so he would save on screws or nuts as well, choosing to friction weld the plastic.... but nowadays, it's not a good quality indicator, there's some decent brands that prefer this to make them not "user serviceable"

So there is screws on the bottom and there is no numbers on the information thingy, it’s a thick cable and it’s from IKEA (feels like not the brand to make power stuff) After : there is a power thing ”MAX3680W230V”

Reminder⚠️

Ikea is fine, their electronics is usually decent quality... they're careful and don't sell crap chinese chargers and electronics. It seems it's rated for 3680w  (/230v = 16A)... should be fine for 2000w and more.

13 minutes ago, Kanna said:

The xboxes is what I use the most so I think the Wii U will have to go

If you don't use the xbox and wii U at the same time, then you can just leave them both in. Just calculate if the total power actually drawn will go above the maximum on the extension cord (generally 2500 W or like 3680 W here). If it doesn't, you're fine.

The total can go above the maximum rated power on the extension cord, as long as you don't run those things at the same time. Say, you have a coffee machine that uses 2200 W, and an electric kettle that uses 2200 W, you can have them in the same extension cord, as long as you don't actually turn on both of them at the same time.

24 minutes ago, Kanna said:

I see no reason why - outlets in the wall are also some sort of "extension cord".

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

9 minutes ago, TomvanWijnen said:

If you don't use the xbox and wii U at the same time, then you can just leave them both in. Just calculate if the total power actually drawn will go above the maximum on the extension cord (generally 2500 W or like 3680 W here). If it doesn't, you're fine.

The total can go above the maximum rated power on the extension cord, as long as you don't run those things at the same time. Say, you have a coffee machine that uses 2200 W, and an electric kettle that uses 2200 W, you can have them in the same extension cord, as long as you don't actually turn on both of them at the same time.

I see no reason why - outlets in the wall are also some sort of "extension cord".

Should have mentioned I don’t own a 8 port rn I was wondering if it would be safe

Reminder⚠️

32 minutes ago, Kanna said:

Should have mentioned I don’t own a 8 port rn I was wondering if it would be safe

Yeah that's why I suggested just plugging another extension cord into the one you have right now. :)

29 minutes ago, TomvanWijnen said:

Yeah that's why I suggested just plugging another extension cord into the one you have right now. :)

I think I can do with switching cables

Reminder⚠️

I have a 10 socket power extension strip and it runs just fine assuming I'm not running 10 high power devices from it all at once, as others have said, just having stuff always plugged in isn't necceccarily bad or dangerous

Yours faithfully