High cpu temps on 0 cpu load. Need help :(

I am having relatively higher temps, ~55c with 0% cpu utilization. Ambient is 33.3c.
Using Ryzen 9 3900x, with Arctic liquid freezer II 280 in Aorus C300G case. Radiator mounted on front with push config to push room air to radiator into the case and three 120 exhaust fans 1 rear and 2 on top.

Core performance boost enabled, cpu vcore set to normal with dynamic vcore(DVID) set to -0.126v, precision boost overdrive is set to auto, xmp profile applied

Any serious advice to improve the temps would be appreciated.

[UPDATE]
AS it turned out, idle temps are fine, currently investigating load temps with this CPU+AIO in the thread now.

IMG_20201007_184318.jpg

12 minutes ago, sajidalimudassar said:

~55c with 0% cpu utilization. Ambient is 33.3c.

Sounds just fine. 

Look at load temps, those are the only ones that matter.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

55°C idle is not high at all. It's about what i'd expect. My 3700X was the same while using a NH-D15. For 33°C ambient you can't really expect much better. For reference my 3700X now idles at ~45°C when cooled with 5x 120mm worth of fans/rads and 21°C ambient.

TLDR: You're good.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Hey there!

Considering your high ambient temperature, I would not be too worried about high idle temps like this. The higher the ambient temperature, the higher the temperature of your components will be, and your CPU is idling around 20C over ambient, which is pretty good.

If you teleported your computer as is to a place where the ambient was 10C, temps would be 30C on the CPU at idle, which is incredibly cool.

Make sure your radiator is placed above your pump, or if it's in front that it's oriented with the tubes down. This will ensure that there's no air bubbles stuck in your pump that might hurt performance.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Thank you all for confirming 20C above ambient is fine.

I have changed the cpu vcore to auto, it gets cpu max vcore temps to 4.88.
Now I am idling to roughly between 55-58c. and under full stress load, it immediately jumps to ~94C, where it gets thermally throttle I guess.

@Energycore > Make sure your radiator is placed above your pump, or if it's in front that it's oriented with the tubes down. This will ensure that there's no air bubbles stuck in your pump that might hurt performance.

Yup, saw the gamersnexus video, and somehow achieved that inside my case. :)

4 minutes ago, sajidalimudassar said:

it immediately jumps to ~94C, where it gets thermally throttle I guess.

This is where we should start looking for problems. AIOs should take forever to reach max temp, not immediately jump to Tmax.

I would say there are two main suspects: not enough thermal paste and not enough mounting pressure. Reseat and repaste the block, see if that changes temperature. If not, let us know.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

When remounting the Block, tighten in a cross pattern, one corner at a time. Tighten it until it's hard to keep tightening, then about 1/8th of a turn more.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Energycore said:

This is where we should start looking for problems. AIOs should take forever to reach max temp, not immediately jump to Tmax.

I would say there are two main suspects: not enough thermal paste and not enough mounting pressure. Reseat and repaste the block, see if that changes temperature. If not, let us know.

Aha, so there was an issue. great help, will remount CPU block next day and post back results here, after following all the guidelines so graciously provided by you. Thank you so much.

4 minutes ago, Energycore said:

my buddy's kraken x63 with a 10600k/10900k takes like 20-30 secs to heat soak, if its even that long. seems weird to me but he can run p95 small ffts overnight and temps will be the same between 20 seconds in and 20 hours in

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

Just now, VeganJoy said:

my buddy's kraken x63 with a 10600k/10900k takes like 20-30 secs to heat soak, if its even that long. seems weird to me but he can run p95 small ffts overnight and temps will be the same between 20 seconds in and 20 hours in

That's interesting. Most other AIOs take a long time to hit Tmax

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Energycore said:

That's interesting. Most other AIOs take a long time to hit Tmax

i thought it was a general feature of aios as they have more volume to absorb heat, is the kraken specifically an exception?

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

@Energycore I opened the case and only just tightened the screws on cpu block which were a bit loose. top 2 were pretty tight, but bottom 2 were a little loose. I have tightened them up, bottom right one was kept going and I was feeling that the bracket provided by arctic is getting bent, but I kept going till I felt that it is pretty tight.

Turned on machine, ran cpu stress test, monitored the temps. started with same ~55c with ~33c ambient. Applying full stress to cpu spiked temps to ~81c within seconds, and then it kept rising slowly, after 15 min, it reached around 90c, and stopped rising after I hit 91.4c, I have stressed the cpu for 25min, and the temps maxed out at 91.4c and stayed there for last 5 minutes.

Question 1: I guess I don't need to reapply the thermal paste, and it was only cpu block retention issue, please confirm if I should also try to reapply paste given above results, I am guessing the issue is solved.

Question 2: As the cpu temperature under load is improved, should I apply full auto boost (Core performance boost enabled, with cpu vcore also set to auto), which will allow cpu to boost to max it can. I have noticed it applies cpu vcore 1.488v maximum, with avg of vcore 1.26v-1.3v, is this fine, or should I continue to offset the vcore voltage to -0.126v, which reduces the max vcore that can be applied automatically to cpu with that offset.

HUGE BUNDLE of THANKS for your AWESOME HELP.

35 minutes ago, sajidalimudassar said:

@Energycore I opened the case and only just tightened the screws on cpu block which were a bit loose. top 2 were pretty tight, but bottom 2 were a little loose. I have tightened them up, bottom right one was kept going and I was feeling that the bracket provided by arctic is getting bent, but I kept going till I felt that it is pretty tight.

Turned on machine, ran cpu stress test, monitored the temps. started with same ~55c with ~33c ambient. Applying full stress to cpu spiked temps to ~81c within seconds, and then it kept rising slowly, after 15 min, it reached around 90c, and stopped rising after I hit 91.4c, I have stressed the cpu for 25min, and the temps maxed out at 91.4c and stayed there for last 5 minutes.

Question 1: I guess I don't need to reapply the thermal paste, and it was only cpu block retention issue, please confirm if I should also try to reapply paste given above results, I am guessing the issue is solved.

Question 2: As the cpu temperature under load is improved, should I apply full auto boost (Core performance boost enabled, with cpu vcore also set to auto), which will allow cpu to boost to max it can. I have noticed it applies cpu vcore 1.488v maximum, with avg of vcore 1.26v-1.3v, is this fine, or should I continue to offset the vcore voltage to -0.126v, which reduces the max vcore that can be applied automatically to cpu with that offset.

HUGE BUNDLE of THANKS for your AWESOME HELP.

Hey!

Considering the max temps I would personally not apply full boost. 91C is the territory where your CPU can start aging rapidly as the silicon is stressed. I'm glad to know your temps are better though!

I suggest creating a CPU Fan Curve that puts the fans at 100% when the temp reaches 85. You should be able to do this in the BIOS or with a program.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

@Energycore

Got it, not keep cpu at 90c. max should be around 85c. My fan curve is already set to aggressive in BIOS for liquid cooler fan connection.

I can try to move my machine to air conditioned room, which is usually at ambient of 26c, that might help. but will reduce the vcore with some offset, as I think frequent 1.488v can also degrade cpu life.

2 minutes ago, sajidalimudassar said:

@Energycore

Got it, not keep cpu at 90c. max should be around 85c. My fan curve is already set to aggressive in BIOS for liquid cooler fan connection.

I can try to move my machine to air conditioned room, which is usually at ambient of 26c, that might help. but will reduce the vcore with some offset, as I think frequent 1.488v can also degrade cpu life.

1.488v does sound unrealistically high. Where are you getting this number? Is it the BIOS?

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

@LogicalDrm  😮 You might have missed the conversation or may be mistaken by my higher temps/vcore. I am on liquid cooling. Using Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 as shown in pc parts list too.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think at moving to liquid cooling would make more sense.

@Energycore have you saw the last 2 screenshots, where I am reading the vcore values, please correct me if I am using right place to look at the cpu vcore.

3 hours ago, sajidalimudassar said:

@LogicalDrm  😮 You might have missed the conversation or may be mistaken by my higher temps/vcore. I am on liquid cooling. Using Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 as shown in pc parts list too.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think at moving to liquid cooling would make more sense.

@Energycore have you saw the last 2 screenshots, where I am reading the vcore values, please correct me if I am using right place to look at the cpu vcore.

You were talking about fans and CPU settings more than which AIO to pick. AIO cooled things where AIO itself isn't the main point don't go to Liquid cooling if I'm deciding. If you want, this can be moved to CPUs, Motherboards and Memory which I think is the next best thing.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I haven't seen anyone mention pump speed.

Is the pump speed of the aio at @ max speed? It should be.

Second you should remount the block and repasted. You should tighten in a cross pattern. Not doing this can cause issues.

Then there is another issue the case and it's lack of air flow through the front.

If you can top mount the aio it would help alot. With 3x intakes 

If you can't second best would be front as high as you can get with tubes down. 3rd best same tube up tho.

Also since the aio is on the front have you tested with no front panel?

3 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

You were talking about fans and CPU settings more than which AIO to pick. AIO cooled things where AIO itself isn't the main point don't go to Liquid cooling if I'm deciding. If you want, this can be moved to CPUs, Motherboards and Memory which I think is the next best thing.

Sure, CPUs, Motherboards and Memory might be best place. AIO is already selected and in use, and you are correct, my issue is temps and cpu settings which can utilize this AIO in proper way.

1 hour ago, narrdarr said:

I haven't seen anyone mention pump speed.

Is the pump speed of the aio at @ max speed? It should be.

Second you should remount the block and repasted. You should tighten in a cross pattern. Not doing this can cause issues.

Then there is another issue the case and it's lack of air flow through the front.

If you can top mount the aio it would help alot. With 3x intakes 

If you can't second best would be front as high as you can get with tubes down. 3rd best same tube up tho.

Also since the aio is on the front have you tested with no front panel?

Pump and radiator fans speed is at max when temp hits >60c. Arctic liquid AIO comes with single PWM controller header, which controls pump and both radiator fans with one connector.

Thank you for suggestion on remound of block with repaste. As I explained in my recent comment, JUST tightening the screws on AIO cpu block improved temps (bottom 2 screws were little loose) and cpu is now heated up gradually instead of jumping to Tmax within seconds. Please confirm even with this improvement, should I move forward with remount and repaste?

Case Air flow does not seem to be issue here. Also I have 3 x 120mm exhaust fans, 1 rear 2 top.

TOP does not have clearance for this AIO, mounted on front with radiator higher than cpu block and tubes down.

Yes, I have tested with front panel removed also.

1 hour ago, Jeppes said:

Test temps without that front panel blocking 99% of airflow.

Yes, did that, very small different, almost negligible.