Getting back into Skyrim SE. Questions.

Thready

I modded the heck out of the original Skyrim to the point where it constantly crashed. Most of the mods were visual improvements. I ended up quitting. I just noticed I have Skyrim SE on my account even though I don't remember buying it. I guess it was a free addition to anyone who owned Skyrim. 

Is it worth getting into without visual modding? Are the visuals that much better than original? Does it utilize more than 4 GB of RAM or do I have to do that little hack thing to enable more RAM? Do I need to run any script extenders?

What mods would you recommend for it that won't crash it?

I saw this mod manager thing called Vortex and I assume that's a replacement for the original mod manager. Any tips for using it? 

Thanks

Photographer, future counselor, computer teacher.

3600X and RTX 2070 with too many storage drives to count. 

Skyrim SE was free to Skyrim owners, so you're right on there. Definitely install SKSE, which you can get through Steam IIRC. Vortex is the mod manager. The visuals are the same as best I can remember, with the biggest difference being that SE is built on a 64-bit engine and can use more than 4GB of RAM. I have mine modded to all hell, both visually and in terms of gameplay additions. Maybe it's just me being lucky, but I've found SE mods to actually be more stable and less likely to break everything, although the mods I've installed are mostly carried over mods from vanilla Skyrim. Vortex is very straightforward, just use Loot to set your load order and you should be good.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

SE is a bit different.

The lighting for characters is better in LE and the lighting for landscapes is better in SE.  

To get lots of mods in LE I had to use ENB/ENBoost to have enbhost.exe handle vram and SKSE to handle Sheson Memory Patch.  My game only lasts 5 seconds without them.

With SE I don't need them. ENB/ENBoost does not come with an executable to handle vram and I use SKSE mainly for character improvement mods.

If I had to pick one it would be LE but that is mainly because of the amount of time I put into it.

I stopped modding Skyrim LE in 2016(started in 2011) since it was crashing all the time but in 2018 I reinstalled it with all the mods to see how it would run with a 2080 ti. It never crashes.  All that time I thought it was mod incompatibility causing crashes but it was a hardware issue all along. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

11 hours ago, Thready said:

I modded the heck out of the original Skyrim to the point where it constantly crashed. Most of the mods were visual improvements. I ended up quitting. I just noticed I have Skyrim SE on my account even though I don't remember buying it. I guess it was a free addition to anyone who owned Skyrim. 

Is it worth getting into without visual modding? Are the visuals that much better than original? Does it utilize more than 4 GB of RAM or do I have to do that little hack thing to enable more RAM? Do I need to run any script extenders?

What mods would you recommend for it that won't crash it?

I saw this mod manager thing called Vortex and I assume that's a replacement for the original mod manager. Any tips for using it? 

Thanks

SE is a lot better than original, better textures and lighting plus as previously mentioned it's 64 bit

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

You can mod the shit out of Skyrim without crashing. I had 150 mods running.

Never played the SE though.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO