(UPDATED) Apple October "Hi, Speed" Event - What/What Not to Expect

NotTheFirstDaniel
2 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

if they do that'd be sick. i'm gonna hold out though, mostly for financial reasons, but like... it's gonna be first gen. apple's first gen products especially computers never last really long. the first MacBook Pro for example was laughable. they released it with a core duo and then replaced it with a core 2 duo model 6 months later like...

besides i don't care about having the latest and greatest. macOS Catalina was a horrible release (i'm still on Mojave) so i wanna see some reviews about macOS Big Sur first before i even consider it. if it's bad i'm just gonna hold out until the next models and the next OS get released and then check again.

I have Big Sur on my hackintosh. It's OK, I haven't used it or its contemporary enough to say how good/bad it is compared to each one, but if you're happy with Mojave just stay there. There's no point in upgrading to something that could run a lot slower (and by judging your description it looks like you have a 2012 MBP which means you'll need a patch tool to get it working anyways since it only supports 2013 and newer by default).

I'd just wait for ASi ifwy.

Just now, Commodus said:

That makes sense. Apple sounds like it's as prepared as it'll ever be, but I could see that first-gen model being rendered obsolete relatively quickly. My first iMac was the last PowerPC model, and that may have been smart as my next upgrade came when x86 was fast and reasonably mature.

yeah. first gen products by apple always get yeeted from support quite fast. the first apple watch is a great example of that as well. first ipad too. so i'm just gonna avoid it for a while.

even if my current MacBook Pro goes up in smoke i'll just buy a used 2013 MBP for now, that'll be plenty for what i need. i'm not agianst investing in ARM but i'll do it when it's a mature platform.

She/Her

1 minute ago, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

but if you're happy with Mojave just stay there. There's no point in upgrading to something that could run a lot slower (and by judging your description it looks like you have a 2012 MBP which means you'll need a patch tool to get it working anyways since it only supports 2013 and newer by default).

yeah i won't run it on this MBP anyway because of support and Mojave is fine. i need a modern browser and that's it really, so i'm good for a good while. i do need apps like iMovie occasionally but i'm good with the version that Mojave supports.

Catalina was a real dumpster fire, especially the last few updates. it became so bogged down even after multiple reinstalls. Mojave is significantly faster and smoother so i'll just keep that on there.

She/Her

2 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

yeah i won't run it on this MBP anyway because of support and Mojave is fine. i need a modern browser and that's it really, so i'm good for a good while. i do need apps like iMovie occasionally but i'm good with the version that Mojave supports.

Catalina was a real dumpster fire, especially the last few updates. it became so bogged down even after multiple reinstalls. Mojave is significantly faster and smoother so i'll just keep that on there.

Apple's software has gotten worse and worse over the years in reliability and speed. Look at iOS 11, and iOS 13, hell even look at the iOS 14 launch. I know High Sierra was crap, and you're saying Catalina was also crap (which corroborates a lot of reports I've heard).I love Craig Federighi, but he and his team need to get their act together, or all the blame is going to be placed on him.

1 minute ago, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

Apple's software has gotten worse and worse over the years in reliability and speed. Look at iOS 11, and iOS 13, hell even look at the iOS 14 launch. I know High Sierra was crap, and you're saying Catalina was also crap (which corroborates a lot of reports I've heard).I love Craig Federighi, but he and his team need to get their act together, or all the blame is going to be placed on him.

iOS 14 was totally fine on my iPhone 6s, but like that's a really old phone which has had plenty of time to mature in terms of hardware support.

High Sierra was indeed shit, it was a pointless release that brought basically nothing new. Mojave was great, and then Catalina was shit.

but like, any version of macOS from Sierra to now doesn't come close to El Capitan, Mountain Lion, Snow Leopard or Tiger. those releases still are the best releases of OSX ever.

She/Her

17 minutes ago, Commodus said:

I suspect Apple might just introduce an ARM Mac there. It wouldn't make sense to have a third event in November, as far as I'm concerned, and the iPhone 12 + other gear might only occupy so much time. Now, whether or not you can get an ARM Mac before November or December is another matter...

13 minutes ago, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

The iPhones usually take about an hour to showcase , and coupled with AirTags, HomePod Mini, and AirPods Studio, they have about an 1:30 atleast of content. They can definitely speed it along and rush all the slides (we'll know by how fast they move the slides and how much info they skip), but it just makes more sense for Macs to get their own event as they usually do.

Remember, these are not in-person events with live crowds so the announcements don’t take as long as no Pauses are needed to switch between presenters or hear people applause. Watch and Air event was just over an hour and pretty much the only reason is because they filled it with services announcements and how much good they do for the environment. Personally, I think we will see another Mac only event on the 12th of November, these digital only events are also easy flowing from the cost perspective. A redesigned iPad Pro rounded corner like iMac has been long rumoured as well so would probably be the star of the show along with the ARM MacBook like laptop.

Remember - Big Sur will also most likely be showcased :)

Right, there's also the AirPower. Let's hope it won't be a Note 7 in Charging Pad Version. 

No but seriously this has me gotten very excited even though I've been hating on Apple for years. I would like to get the iPhone 12 mini and Apple Watch SE.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

2 hours ago, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

I think the 6GB is wrong, I changed my OP. An A14 leak came out from the iPad Air showing that the A14 has 4GB of ram, so I think their keeping that this year too.

They only went to 6GB for 1TB of storage in the iPad Pros, so if they're not going 1TB in the iPhone, it probably won't have 6GB either.

2020 iPad Pros have 6GB RAM.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Jesus they're still trying with HomePod? Well... I guess give them credit for trying. Just like Sony and their smartphones trying to hang in there. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

34 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Jesus they're still trying with HomePod? Well... I guess give them credit for trying. Just like Sony and their smartphones trying to hang in there. 

Depends on what you are getting it for as a high quality home speaker it is very good, if the team behind the homePod created a TV sound bar, that has an apple tv integrated within it and supports ARC and HDMI passthrough it could be a very nice speaker system and given the price ranges of that market would be perfect for apple to operate in. Apple audio hardware (and software) teams have been very very good in the last few years!