Chrome won't use my actual GPU

apocalee

My chrome used to run my integrated GPU instead of the dedicated one, when I manually switched it, everything was fine. But then now suddenly it switched back to my integrated again, I just did what I did before again but it didn't work. Any help? I'm not very good at much tech stuff but am very interested in it.

I don't think you'd need the dedicated GPU just for Chrome anyway (as 4k YouTube video can even play straight of iGPU anyway, and playing huge videos are more on CPU power instead of GPU, which a lot people still wrongly thought). If you're using a laptop, it's the sake for battery and resource usage efficiency. 

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

15 hours ago, dhannemon13 said:

I don't think you'd need the dedicated GPU just for Chrome anyway 

I play some browser games on on chrome and it has really made a difference due to the fact that my iGPU is 2x worse than my actual GPU. Thanks for your help tho

Have you gone into the nvidia control panel and set it to use the dedicated card there? You can pick which programs use what card from the drop down menu.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

20 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

-> Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites

Could you please specify more?

21 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

Have you gone into the nvidia control panel and set it to use the dedicated card there? You can pick which programs use what card from the drop down menu.

That's where I first changed it from iGPU to my actual GPU. Now if I try it, it shows that I already am using dedicated for chrome but it doesn't work. :(

On 10/4/2020 at 5:27 PM, dhannemon13 said:

I don't think you'd need the dedicated GPU just for Chrome anyway (as 4k YouTube video can even play straight of iGPU anyway, and playing huge videos are more on CPU power instead of GPU, which a lot people still wrongly thought). If you're using a laptop, it's the sake for battery and resource usage efficiency. 

yeap I don't get it, browsers and videos run fine on weak i5 iGPU.... and I'm very happy about that, I always prefer using integrated as long I'm not playing a *demanding* game.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 minutes ago, apocalee said:

That's where I first changed it from iGPU to my actual GPU. Now if I try it, it shows that I already am using dedicated for chrome but it doesn't work. :(

what issues are you having with Chrome currently?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, apocalee said:

Could you please specify more?

This thread was originally posted into General Discussion. We don't want people dumping threads there. That's note about thread being manually moved to correct subforum.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, apocalee said:

Try this and see if it works: https://support.cloudhq.net/how-to-fix-slowness-in-chrome-browser-and-gmail-screenshot/

If you do that it will force GPU rendering.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20