Can I update my Asus Prime X570-p for Zen 3 w/o a CPU?

Drexl

I have been collecting components for two new machines while waiting for Zen 3 to launch and Ampere availability to normalize. It suddenly occurred to me I have no AMD CPU to use temporarily to update the BIOS on these boards. Should I return them while I still can? Does it have a USB BIOS update functionality? I can't find any information on it.

Thanks! ^_^

The prime p does not have a bios flasback button on the rear, meaning you will need a supported cpu out of the box ( zen 2 or zen+) to update the bios.

Do you already have this board?

1 hour ago, YsGrandi said:

heard somewhere that new AM4 motherboards are being released with new bios that support the upcoming cpus

Right now? No iirc, board's can't support the AGESA code for unreleased cpu's..

Edited by Haro

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

I heard somewhere that new AM4 motherboards are being released with new bios that support the upcoming cpus

don't remember the models name but If my memory serves me right they are available to buy

hope someone here knows which ones and you can return yours to buy the new ones

Would it be better to return the boards and get new ones when Zen 3 launches, or get a loaner CPU and update them? I got the Prime X570-p because from what I can tell it's been really well received and most closely matches the aesthetic of the build I'm working on (mostly white).

1 hour ago, Drexl said:

Would it be better to return the boards and get new ones when Zen 3 launches, or get a loaner CPU and update them?

If you're waiting for zen 3, then buy a board then and not now in all honesty. 

1 hour ago, Drexl said:

(mostly white).

Budget for a board? and currency? but as i said, buy a board when zen 3 comes out, and not now. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

Just now, Haro said:

Budget for a board? and currency? but as i said, buy a board when zen 3 comes out, and not now. 

Not more than $200 USD, preferably closer to $160.

2 minutes ago, Haro said:

If you're waiting for zen 3, then buy a board then and not now in all honesty. 

I'll probably return it then.

1 hour ago, Drexl said:

$200 USD

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B550-A GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard $179.99 @ B&H
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $179.99
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-03 15:42 EDT-0400  

The b550 strix a is a solid white board for around 180ish bucks, it also does have a bios flashback button so if you're set on a board now, you can get this board and update the bios without having a cpu installed. 

Build Log: 

Literally the reason I got the Crosshair VIII instead of TUF. LMAO. 

Thanks for the help. I was able to return them (tomorrow was the last day). I'm not sure yet if I'll try to get the B550 @Haro mentioned or just wait. I had literally every component except the GPUs needed for our new machines at one point, and I've since returned everything except the case and memory for one reason or another as new information became available. Thank goodness for Amazon Prime returns! 😂

8 hours ago, Drexl said:

Thank goodness for Amazon Prime returns! 😂

One thing you could've kept was the PSU, but as for the board, as I said, if you want a board now, the b550 strix a is pretty good, but I'd wait if possible. 

Build Log: 

13 hours ago, Haro said:

One thing you could've kept was the PSU, but as for the board, as I said, if you want a board now, the b550 strix a is pretty good, but I'd wait if possible. 

I wanted a white PSU, even though I likely won't see it much, so I returned the original ones I got. But unless I want to pay the ROG tax and get their ridiculously overpriced one I have to wait for backorders.
I'll probably wait on the board. I'm doing a lot of waiting at this point. :)