Raid0 runs worse than stock

Pasgui9

I striped 3 drives with raid 0 and in crystal diskmark I get 300Mb\s read, but when playing COD Warzone I get even worse performace than I did when using only one, much slower drive. I can't afford 16GB of RAM righ now so raid0 is the only way for me to boost 0.1% lows. I set up raid in the ASUS BIOS (Skylake).

Any help? is it normal?

EDIT: after runnig another benchamrk I now only get 68Mb\s. Why? Did I set it up wrong in Windows 10?

What drives?

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

7200 rpm drives? Do you have enough CPU horsepower for RAID 0. A basic rule of thumb is 50 percent load of 1 core per HDD. In your case, that would 1 1/2 cores you have to have free while gaming. Unless you have a 6-Core or 8-Core or Dual Socket Server setup, that makes little sense. Also drives that are not optimized for RAID will drop in and out of the array, causing instabilities and at least loss of performance. Given that you fall down to 68 MB/s, either you have very old drives or 5400 rpm drives, right? For RAID 0 you want a WD Black, WD RED 7200, WD Gold. Seagate Exos etc. basically enterprise drives. 

Usually 2 modern SATA HDDs at 7200 rpm in RAID 0 should give you about 350 to 400 MB/s easily in sequential reads.

1 hour ago, Applefreak said:

CPU horsepower for RAID 0. A basic rule of thumb is 50 percent load of 1 core per HDD.

He's using mobo hardware raid, no CPU required.

But yeah, what drives? If they're old clunkers and/or mismatched while speed might be better access times can get worse than with a single drive.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

He's using mobo hardware raid, no CPU required.

But yeah, what drives? If they're old clunkers and/or mismatched while speed might be better access times can get worse than with a single drive.

Consumer motherboards still use the CPU and RAM even if you setup the Raid0 in the Bios. Only server motherboards have special hardware onboard that handle the Raid independently of the CPU and RAM

4 hours ago, Pasgui9 said:

I striped 3 drives with raid 0 and in crystal diskmark I get 300Mb\s read, but when playing COD Warzone I get even worse performace than I did when using only one, much slower drive. I can't afford 16GB of RAM righ now so raid0 is the only way for me to boost 0.1% lows. I set up raid in the ASUS BIOS (Skylake).

Any help? is it normal?

EDIT: after runnig another benchamrk I now only get 68Mb\s. Why? Did I set it up wrong in Windows 10?

Did you use 3 identical drivers ? 

I did a similar thing. I saw amazon selling Silicon Power 128GB SATA SSD drives for like 14 bucks each as well as a RAID0 compatible PCIE SATA 8x Expander card for like 30ish dollars... So my whole cart after getting everything including some extra RAM was 300 USD.

EACH card says SEQ read/write of UP-TO 420MB/s (haha 420)

this is what I get SEQ in real-world testing.

I can post a picture of the hardware in my case for proof but have done ZERO cable managing. my case looks like a medusa head.

farts.thumb.png.fb033ea8a90b3bccaf83386f12b4c6c2.png

11 hours ago, Pasgui9 said:

Any help? is it normal?

derp

On 10/3/2020 at 1:43 PM, Applefreak said:

7200 rpm drives? Do you have enough CPU horsepower for RAID 0. A basic rule of thumb is 50 percent load of 1 core per HDD. In your case, that would 1 1/2 cores you have to have free while gaming. Unless you have a 6-Core or 8-Core or Dual Socket Server setup, that makes little sense. Also drives that are not optimized for RAID will drop in and out of the array, causing instabilities and at least loss of performance. Given that you fall down to 68 MB/s, either you have very old drives or 5400 rpm drives, right? For RAID 0 you want a WD Black, WD RED 7200, WD Gold. Seagate Exos etc. basically enterprise drives. 

Usually 2 modern SATA HDDs at 7200 rpm in RAID 0 should give you about 350 to 400 MB/s easily in sequential reads.

Yes, they're two very old, very worn drives that run at 5900RPM. I only have a quad-core i5 so that is also probably part of the issue.

21 hours ago, Biomecanoid said:

Did you use 3 identical drivers ? 

initially it was two identical ones with a missmatched 3rd one, but even with tow identical drives I still have the same issue

On 10/3/2020 at 1:03 PM, jj9987 said:

What drives?

two ST3500312CS 500GB

On 10/3/2020 at 3:43 AM, Applefreak said:

where are you getting that cpu usage from? I have run a lot of software raid arrays, and for hdds, the overhead is no where near that level. And motherboard raid still sues the cpu so that won't help here.

\