Assassin's Creed Odyssey freezing randomly after the ram upgrade

Eshi21

Hello. AC Odyssey started freezing for a second or two randomly after I upgraded my ram.

PC specs: Asus h-110m, i3 7100, 16gb of ram (2x8gb @ 2133mhz), gtx 1060 3gb.

I know its not the best pc for this game and I know 6gb 1060 would have been the better option but this was the best I could do as a high school student in 2017 during the cryptomining apocalypse when gpu prices skyrocketed.

Anyway, I played this game right after it got released in 2018 and after finding a nice sweetspot in graphics settings the game was working fine with 60fps in open areas and with minimum fps around high 30s / low 40s in crowded areas like Athens. Some very rare, hardly noticeable stutters were present but it wasn't an issue for me. That was with 8 gigs of ram.

Four months ago I added another 8gigs of ram. Fps got noticeably higher and I closed the game since I didn't play it much. Today I decided to revisit the game and I've noticed random freezes (1 to 2 seconds). The longer I play they seem to happen less frequently. I defraged my hdd (since the game was installed for a very long time) but it didn't change anything. Then I got an idea and removed one ram stick. Playing with 8gb of ram again made my fps drop a little bit but these one to two second freezes disappeared (very rare small stutters were present like before when i played with 8gb of ram).

So, 16gb of ram in dual channel increased my fps and removed rare small stutters but the game started freezing randomly. Why is that? Btw I disabled windows full screen optimisation (recommended by a lot of people), gpu drivers are up to date, I have nothing running in the background and etc.

These freezes aren't very frequent, they happen every few minutes and they happen less often the longer I play. I can live with it but I'd like to fix it if possible. 

Also, the ram upgrade didn't make any problems in other games and software, including AC Origins which is very similar to Odyssey.

The older ram stick is Samsung 8gb module @ 2133mhz. The new one is made by Kingston but the specs are the same. So, different manufacturers could be the issue but I highly doubt it since they are pretty much the same modules and basically everything else is working perfectly fine except AC Odyssey.

I didn't want to write a very long post but I'd like to give you as much info as possible. Thx in advance :)

Have you updated your GPUs drivers?

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

37 minutes ago, Br3tt96 said:

Have you updated your GPUs drivers?

As I said originally, my gpu driver is up to date

1 minute ago, Eshi21 said:

As I said originally, my gpu driver is up to date

What are your temps? Have you tried taking out the newer stick and seeing if that is an issue (make sure pc is off and unplugged)? I know you said it was working fine right after the upgrade, but just trying to rule stuff out 

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

On 9/30/2020 at 6:36 PM, Br3tt96 said:

What are your temps? Have you tried taking out the newer stick and seeing if that is an issue (make sure pc is off and unplugged)? I know you said it was working fine right after the upgrade, but just trying to rule stuff out 

My temps are ok, cpu and gpu don't go above 70-75°C. I've swapped my ram sticks, tried different slots, 8gb and 16gb combinations. Second ram slot was kinda suspicious but after further testing I noticed that 8gb configuration is also freezing sometimes, no matter which slot. So it's probably a cpu bottleneck after all. This topic can be locked, thx anyway.