Intels dirty little secret

TheLuciferPhenotype

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W872lQcy65I

Unfortunately this is missing some information.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/sc2/t/patchguide-for-cpu-speed-fps-if-you-play-competitively-click-this/17442/2

Anyone care to join me in this detective work? Of course older titles, some CPU bound, are effected. But just how many newer applications are screwing over your Ryzen IPC? 

it's almost like intel's compiler is more optimized for their own architecture or something....

no no, surely it MUST be malicious.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

That awkward moment when a 2020 product under x86 license loses features it had during the Athlon 64 era, and people are too stupid to realize that's whats happening, and very needlessly.

Of course with all the possibilities mankind has at its disposal to represent itself, catgirls are the ultimate way to express your intellectual dominance. 

https://www.cnet.com/news/intel-ftc-settle-antitrust-case/

Its old news youve probably never heard of. My quest is to find out where this sort of instruction set behavior persists in the more modern library of application. If you have x86 instructions, the cop out we didn't know doesn't pan out, especially when it requires another step in programming to make it so. 

"it's almost like intel's compiler is more optimized for their own architecture or something."

Funny enough its also the faster path on AMD processors. That's pretty "malicious" looking if you have an IQ beyond the double digits. Of course the FTC historically agrees. Do you even realize how uneducated a comment that is you made? You framed it very sarcastically, but Im afraid I did it better. Go play with yourself to some anime bro. Im looking for some forum veterans with actual curiosity. 

16 minutes ago, TheLuciferPhenotype said:

Of course with all the possibilities mankind has at its disposal to represent itself, catgirls are the ultimate way to express your intellectual dominance. 

ah yes, personal insults. As if my choice of avatar (which is my own creation) has any bearing on my "intellect". I Also will not take shit about my choice of avatar from someone that uses the ZP PCMR "mascot" as theirs.

12 minutes ago, TheLuciferPhenotype said:

https://www.cnet.com/news/intel-ftc-settle-antitrust-case/

Its old news youve probably never heard of. My quest is to find out where this sort of instruction set behavior persists in the more modern library of application. If you have x86 instructions, the cop out we didn't know doesn't pan out, especially when it requires another step in programming to make it so. 

did you even read the article you used as evidence?

from the article:

Intel must disclose to software developers that its compiler discriminates between Intel chips and non-Intel chips and may not take into account all features of non-Intel chips. Intel also has to reimburse all software vendors who want to recompile their software using a non-Intel compiler.

from Intel's Website

Product and Performance Information

Intel's compilers may or may not optimize to the same degree for non-Intel microprocessors for optimizations that are not unique to Intel microprocessors. These optimizations include SSE2, SSE3, and SSSE3 instruction sets and other optimizations. Intel does not guarantee the availability, functionality, or effectiveness of any optimization on microprocessors not manufactured by Intel. Microprocessor-dependent optimizations in this product are intended for use with Intel microprocessors. Certain optimizations not specific to Intel microarchitecture are reserved for Intel microprocessors. Please refer to the applicable product User and Reference Guides for more information regarding the specific instruction sets covered by this notice.

Notice revision #20110804

Seems like they are pretty upfront about it and are adhering to the order

Just because Intel and AMD both use x86, doesn't mean both will perform exactly the same in all circumstances, if they did, then we wouldn't have the power struggle between them at the moment. Intel can optimize their compiler for their own chips, because they know 100% how they work, i HIGHLY doubt AMD would give up trade secrets so intel could afford them the same optimizations.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

"ah yes, personal insults. As if my choice of avatar (which is my own creation) has any bearing on my "intellect"."

It helps to put forward meaningful commentary, not inaccuracy with the air of superiority. As far as im concerned, that's a vacuous statement begging the, they didn't know any better narrative. That leaves me with your caricaturization to address because its like talking to a nothingness. 

"did you even read the article you used as evidence?
"

There you go again. Assuming im an invalid and cant read.

"Intel must disclose to software developers that its compiler discriminates between Intel chips and non-Intel chips and may not take into account all features of non-Intel chips. Intel also has to reimburse all software vendors who want to recompile their software using a non-Intel compiler."

It helps to point out this article is INCOMPLETE. It does not address the verifiable situations I have presented, where this settlement did not engage in any sort of developer cross talk. Many of which have opted to ignore this news, and despite to this day supporting their application with patches, have not resolved this issue natively. I have to patch it myself in order to fix the gimp.

"Seems like they are pretty upfront about it and are adhering to the order"

Seems isn't a metric. Im looking for people who are going to do some actual investigative work, since journalism itself cant entirely be expected to do so considering very obvious influences.

"Just because Intel and AMD both use x86, doesn't mean both will perform exactly the same in all circumstances, if they did, then we wouldn't have the power struggle between them at the moment. Intel can optimize their compiler for their own chips, because they know 100% how they work, i HIGHLY doubt AMD would give up trade secrets so intel could afford them the same optimizations."

You speak to me like I gained sentience yesterday from a wet crevice. Im suspicious talking to you, I know a fair bit more even as a hobbyist at least about hardware and how it works than you do. That would be presumptuous, but language is a generalization we scarce achieve sub MOA. Obviously not everyone is stupid. Ignorant is technically the more appropriate choice word. I wish someone even more advanced would optimize the path to not just emulate intels by spoofing the program, as it is faster as is, but could probably be more so. The real question is, does this stuff continue into the future. The implications are massive if that is the case.

Also what trade secrets? Like the "doping" of transistors with a random number generator to serve as a backdoor for party X Y Z? Thats probably science fiction anyway right kids. What even are you going on about. FidelityFX for example is open source. OpenCL and AMDs solution to hair rendering all are. There are numerous examples where AMD puts its trade secret worthy sauce out for everyone to use including people like me with nvidia GPUs. You are presenting it as if they are the company that has a lot of things hidden in the public domain, that can be tested, to figure out things. You dont seem to interested in testing it though. You pretty well admit you already know better, but the numbers you dont care to see at least admitted here, tell a very different story that's replicable by other users. 

It helps to put forward meaningful commentary, not inaccuracy with the air of superiority.

Totally agree.

@Arika S has totally come off as full of themselves and like she thinks she is superior to everyone else.

Not like you Lucifer, who seems like a fun and nice guy...

Spoiler

52 minutes ago, TheLuciferPhenotype said:

people are too stupid to realize that's whats happening

51 minutes ago, TheLuciferPhenotype said:

46 minutes ago, TheLuciferPhenotype said:

Its old news youve probably never heard of. 

My quest

if you have an IQ beyond the double digits

Do you even realize how uneducated a comment that is you made?

Im afraid I did it better

Go play with yourself to some anime bro

That leaves me with your caricaturization to address because its like talking to a nothingness. 

I know a fair bit more even as a hobbyist at least about hardware and how it works than you do.

Obviously not everyone is stupid. Ignorant is technically more appropriate choice word.

I don't really feel like spending an hour or so watching Youtube and reading your other posts to understand what this thread is about. Could you please dumb the subject down and explain it to me?

11 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Totally agree.

@Arika S has totally come off as full of themselves and like she thinks she is superior to everyone else.

Not like you Lucifer, who seems like a fun and nice guy...

Hide contents

Are we going to talk personality or substance?

I thought this was a tech forum, not a psychology forum.

Is this forum just absolutely infested with antisocialites? My high horse is being right. If you dont like how majestic that is, well its a free country, and ive heard your grievance. 

Anyone here actually want to talk about the subject matter, and benchmark some stuff, and do some digging? Or is it just going to be a bunch of, these types of people with I would assume metabolically near inactive prefrontal cortex'? 

2 minutes ago, TheLuciferPhenotype said:

Are we going to talk personality or substance?

Is this forum just absolutely infested with antisocialites? My high horse is being right. If you dont like how majestic that is, well its a free country, and ive heard your grievance. 

Of course you can ride your high horse all you like, but that doesn't help your point.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

1 minute ago, Fatih19 said:

Of course you can ride your high horse all you like, but that doesn't help your point.

So basically the logical objective sort of folk are MIA because, we got offended by little squiggles of squares on a screen. Gotchya.

Locked.

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450