Phillips Fidelio X2HR worth it?

Go to solution Solved by Slottr,

X2HR's are open back so you probably don't want those. 770's are a good option, they're very fun and I find the bass just about perfect for myself

It sounds like you might like the K371's though

I currently use a pair of Yamaha RH10MS, and I'm looking for a new pair that's under $200. I saw that the X2HR's have been praised highly, plus they're not too expensive, but are they good? I'm also considering the Beyerdynamic 770 Pro and the Audio-technica ATH-M50x. I like punchy bass, but just a little. Other than that, I'd like the sound to be as close as possible to the original. No open backs, since I'll be using them for recording as well. Thanks in advance.

My Build (5800X3D, RTX 3070)

disclaimer: i probably don't know what I'm talking about but I try to give the best advice I can

X2HR's are open back so you probably don't want those. 770's are a good option, they're very fun and I find the bass just about perfect for myself

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

3 minutes ago, weeblord said:

I currently use a pair of Yamaha RH10MS, and I'm looking for a new pair that's under $200. I saw that the X2HR's have been praised highly, plus they're not too expensive, but are they good? I'm also considering the Beyerdynamic 770 Pro and the Audio-technica ATH-M50x. I like punchy bass, but just a little. Other than that, I'd like the sound to be as close as possible to the original. No open backs, since I'll be using them for recording as well. Thanks in advance.

The ath m50x are terrible to many people. Including myself. I don't like their almost non existant soundstage. The X2HR are open back as Slottr said. The DT 770 pros are really good. The bass quality is great and the quanity is not too much or too little. The bass is punchy. As you said you wanted.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

9 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

The ath m50x are terrible to many people. Including myself. I don't like their almost non existant soundstage. The X2HR are open back as Slottr said. The DT 770 pros are really good. The bass quality is great and the quanity is not too much or too little. The bass is punchy. As you said you wanted.

15 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Thanks guys, I’ll get the 770 Pros!

disclaimer: i probably don't know what I'm talking about but I try to give the best advice I can

2 minutes ago, rice guru said:

I've never heard the current pair you have could you describe how it sounds?

I can’t really tell you much about them myself since I’m not totally into high-end audio, but they’re bassy, with the high end sounding a little piercing and annoying (cymbals sound low-quality) but voices and mid-range sound fine. They’re  rebranded Ultrasone HFI-450s, though, so any review of those will be a review of these.

1 hour ago, weeblord said:

I can’t really tell you much about them myself since I’m not totally into high-end audio, but they’re bassy, with the high end sounding a little piercing and annoying (cymbals sound low-quality) but voices and mid-range sound fine. They’re  rebranded Ultrasone HFI-450s, though, so any review of those will be a review of these.

Well the high end on the 770's are piercing to some as well.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

23 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

Well the high end on the 770's are piercing to some as well.

I know the post already shows "Solved," but throwing the whole "closed-back only" requirement away, would the Phillips or a pair of 990 Pros be fine? Just curious since I still really like the Yamaha and I'm curious to listen with an open-back experience. And if the high end on the 770s is piercing, that's mostly fine since I'm not too picky about that.

2 hours ago, weeblord said:

ah ok since they were yamaha I was going to recommend the MT 5 since they are apparently pretty good but that description kinda reminds me of the msr7 not super piercing just unforgiving to badly mastered tracks and the mass is punchy but not overpowering it would be a pretty good alternative to the m50x. another one to double pup on this recc you might be into is the akg k371. the issue with the 770 is it can be difficult to drive. but if you buy from a place with a good return policy since you can tolerate treble the 80 ohm 770 should be a decent fit though from my experience with some ultrasone headphones the 770 will be much wider sounding 

10 minutes ago, rice guru said:

the issue with the 770 is it can be difficult to drive

sorry.....what?

Just now, weeblord said:

sorry.....what?

due to the hard to power nature of the 770 250 ohm  specifically it can be hard to power but eh 770 80 ohm some have found sucess in the lower impedance versions but Im generally not a fan og the 80  ohm and lower versions 

Just now, rice guru said:

due to the hard to power nature of the 770 250 ohm  specifically it can be hard to power but eh 770 80 ohm some have found sucess in the lower impedance versions but Im generally not a fan og the 80  ohm and lower versions 

I see. I'm not really sure what I'd need to power either the 250 ohm or 80 ohm model, but I have a Behringer UM2 that I run my headphones through if that does anything.

2 minutes ago, weeblord said:

I see. I'm not really sure what I'd need to power either the 250 ohm or 80 ohm model, but I have a Behringer UM2 that I run my headphones through if that does anything.

I the UM2 should be fine for 80 ohm the 250 ohym though I have my doubts. 250 ohm you jest need a heftier amp.